Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86.5 NA and in Phoenix, it's over 110 now and the car gets warm after driving on the freeway for 30 minutes then getting stuck in stop-and-go. It seems it heat soaks then the temp climbs. As soon as I get back to 50+, you can watch the guage drop. Other than that is runs right where the stock thermostat opens.

For a little history, it did this last summer but got too hot and it eventually caused a BHG. I replaced the HG, new radiator (Visteon 2-row from AutoZone) new fan clutch(you can hear it kick in), burped the system etc. It runs great but it only has a 7 blade fan and some on the forum are talking about a 10 blade fan that's available. Does it flow better? Where they on the turbos?

-Jon

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have one that I am in fact selling and yes they are from the Turbo models. $35 shipped usps priority

·
Registered
18 Posts
depending on how bad it heats up it could be a blowen head gasket, when mine went it was fine for a while then it woudl start to overheat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dethwolf said:
depending on how bad it heats up it could be a blowen head gasket, when mine went it was fine for a while then it woudl start to overheat
Thanks but I'm confident that it's not a BHG. It did that last year. It runs great and gets great mileage (25+). It's only when I travel at freeway speeds for a while then stop.
It's funny. If I don't drive on the freeway first, I can drive around all day in stop-and-go and not heat up at all. Plus, it only does this now that the outside temps are 110+ degrees.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ewwwww clean that fan before yah put it on, it's supposed to be almost white...

yeah, fan shroud could be it also, maybe waterpump?

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Poodles said:
ewwwww clean that fan before yah put it on, it's supposed to be almost white...

yeah, fan shroud could be it also, maybe waterpump?
i just got done doing that to mine and somehow cut my finger with a plastic fan way to go for me :ugh2:

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
And if that dosnt help, could try some Electric fans.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
So noone has still said, is there any upside to upgrading to the 10 blade, I have the 7 blade on my n/a but have 2 10 blade's if they're any better, I'll swap to one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Supranforever said:
So noone has still said, is there any upside to upgrading to the 10 blade, I have the 7 blade on my n/a but have 2 10 blade's if they're any better, I'll swap to one.
Are you experiencing any problems? You're right, no one has indicated the 10 blade would be better. I can only assume it does since Toyota used it on the turbo model. I think my cooling system is as good as it can be and I'm just bumping up on the limit with outside temps over 110 and only with the AC on and only under the limited circumstances I described.

I hope the 10 blade will give me the additional flow at idle. That's what I really want to know.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I had some overheating issues with a 7-blade last year, it was during a long drive uphill in like 104 degrees with A/C on. I changed to the 10-blade fan and it seems to cool better, but I haven't had the same experience to test it out.

I never really had any big overheating problems ever, so it's hard for me to compare anything, but I'd suggest a new fan clutch if you're having cooling problems before the fan itself. Ideally a new fan clutch and a 10-blade fan and you should be set.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
I should've known that my man J-Lange and Dean would've known that stuff. I personally don't have any cooling problems, my car runs colder than any of my buddies (new radiator/cap/thermostat/fan clutch/waterpump) but I just wondered if the 10 blade were better, I thought I might swap to it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeff Lange said:
I had some overheating issues with a 7-blade last year, it was during a long drive uphill in like 104 degrees with A/C on. I changed to the 10-blade fan and it seems to cool better, but I haven't had the same experience to test it out.

I never really had any big overheating problems ever, so it's hard for me to compare anything, but I'd suggest a new fan clutch if you're having cooling problems before the fan itself. Ideally a new fan clutch and a 10-blade fan and you should be set.
Thanks. When I did the HG replacement, I bought a new radiator (never use a re-core) and a new fan clutch. It's a good clutch and I can hear as it engages because it really howls so I know everything is working.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts