Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
My Own "Carbon Fiber Guy"
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I drive my car around about every two weeks and I never really get on it to be honest. That is unless I see something that gets my interest. A few weeks ago I saw a car that did just that. A bright red and brand new Shelby GT500.

I was driving down the main drag by where I live and I came up behind the GT500 at a light right on the access road to our local toll road. Thankfully this spot has two turn lanes so I pulled up next to him in the other to get a glimpse of the car and of the driver. He was an older guy who did not look over (maybe he didn't notice me). He was focused on the task at hand of waiting on the light to turn green I guess. When the light finally did turn I decided to get his attention and let him know that this 13 year old Toyota meant business. I have a dump tube on my set up so it is loud to say the least and I decided to share that fact with him in the underpass:)

Then we both turned left on to the access road. It is a strait road with very few spots for people to pull out in front of a fast moving car. The ideal spot to gun it!!! I kept the car in second coming through the turn and when we straitened out I floored it and spun through second, caught third and finished out that gear. I looked back and realized that he didn't take the bait!!! He was still putting along way behind me not doing much beyond 5 over the speed limit. Talk about a buzz kill. But it wasn't over yet.....

Up ahead there was a red light with a Z28 in the left lane and I pulled into the Center lane. The driver of the Z28 gave me the thumbs up and told me that he loved my Supra and that he didn't see any other examples that clean running around anymore. While I was thanking him for his kind words Mr. GT500 came up behind me. The light turned green and I decided to show the very nice Z28 owner what she could do. Before I pinned the throttle I heard the full tilt growl of a V8 with the whine of a supercharger. That was not a Z28!!! I floored it and looked back in my rear view. Sure enough it was the GT500. His front end was reaching upwards from the acceleration so I am 100% sure he was in it and all the way. But that made two of us:naughty:

He came around me in the right lane and his front door was just even with my front bumper when the mighty billet 67 woke up and helped to change things up a bit. I accelerated hard and pulled on him. Bad. I had a bit of tunnel vision trying to keep the car in my lane but by the time I looked back I had him by at least 10-15 cars. I am sure that that had to make his mid-life crisis much worse.

About a mile down the road I came to the next light and the Z28 finally caught up to laugh his head off. He told me that he thought the car was fast but NOT that fast. I guess being a GM guy I made his day. As for the GT500, his tail was tucked and he drove as slow as he could so as not to pull up close to me. I took a right at the light and that was it. Good day for a cruise I guess.

Specifics on my car that day:

Pump Gas (93 oct.)
Low Boost (18 lbs.)
Temperature Outside (about 75 F)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Haha that's awesome!

The new 500's are stout cars,But from what i hear they are like driving a cruise ship lol

Im sure that Billet 67 sounded great in boost:)

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha that's awesome!

The new 500's are stout cars,But from what i hear they are like driving a cruise ship lol

Im sure that Billet 67 sounded great in boost:)
The car SCREAMS under boost! Some people say it is to loud. Between the dump tube and ported shroud there is a lot of opportunity for noise.

And I wonder how the new GT500's are. From what I gather they are pretty nimble cars (the new 5.0 held with the new M3 in a recent Car & Driver test on the track).

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Sounds like a fun time:) Any supercharged Cobra makes me nervous.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a fun time:) Any supercharged Cobra makes me nervous.
Me too but I was looking at the specs on that thing and yes he had 550 bhp but he also weights 3800 lbs.!!! Man, that thing is a pig. My car weighs in 300 lbs. lighter.

Also, the stock tires are 285's and I am running 325's. If I had problems with grip I can only imagine what his problems must have been with keeping that car planted.

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
They are over 3900lbs wet.. a buddy has one and the 2010 chassis with the previous year KR suspension makes it a very nice ride and the solid axle doesn't ruin it. They are fast from a dig, very comfortable inside too, but those cubes don't make up for the weight it's pushing. They trap like a strong BPU Supra and ripe pickings for a single with supporting mods.

It's the '03-'04 Cobras you watch out for, better power to weight with higher chance of bolt-ons.

The Super Snakes suffer from traction issues and would dish out a beating if you are not running high boost/high octane.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The car SCREAMS under boost! Some people say it is to loud. Between the dump tube and ported shroud there is a lot of opportunity for noise.

And I wonder how the new GT500's are. From what I gather they are pretty nimble cars (the new 5.0 held with the new M3 in a recent Car & Driver test on the track).
I could imagine so!I run a Billet 71 kit now and I honestly don't use the stereo system anymore.The billet turbo sings the best tune:angel:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nothing takes me back, like a good kill story! :)

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Any supercharged Mustang makes me nervous. If they have FI, chances are they have some spray as well.
Gotta run them to keep them honest!!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Nice kill, I'm assuming your car is around 500 + at the wheels based on your mod list.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nice kill, I'm assuming your car is around 500 + at the wheels based on your mod list.
On pump she made 480RWHP in 90+ degree weather. So yes, with the 15+ degree drop in temp. outside she'll sit just close to 500RWHP on pump gas. After I go AEM V2 I won't have to worry about the stock ECU pulling timing then I will be over 500RWHP in 100 degree weather:)

I think that what put my car ahead in that race was the fact that I was 300 lbs. lighter and I had 25% more rubber out back.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Dream kill. I need to carry a camera so when something like this happens I can record it.

Nice.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dream kill. I need to carry a camera so when something like this happens I can record it.

Nice.
A dream kill would have been a Viper while I was on C16. Or a high priced exotic with a cocky owner....while I was on C16.

But for a pump gas and low boost kill this will work:)

Like they said, the 03-04 Cobra's I meet are never stock and move on very quickly.
I know I would need high boost to go after one of those!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Nice.
GoPro HD Motorsports!! I have one. Awesome camera with a bunch of mounts. Suction cup was used in this video.. bad sound quality as I had the waterproof back on it at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xt4sG00XZM

You just need to mount it on your windshield or side window and press one button that turns it on/starts recording :)

Good kill btw :D

·
Grapeade
826 Posts
Nice kill. I have yet to encounter a GT500.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts