Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10 years later, finally back in a Supra! (updated)

So, I've been into the supra world since about 2001 or so. it was around then that i initially owned an 88T, that eventually was heavily HK$ everything modded. Then after that i owned a 97NA auto for awhile and also a 90T. They were all great, but in 2004 i sold all of them and was completely out of the supra world. In that period of time I owned a 98 Cobra, a 92 3000GT VR4, a 73 240z, 93 MR2 Turbo, 04 WRX wagon, 96 SC300, 97 SC300, and finally 05 STi that evolved into a 513whp E85 car. Definitely a fun ride, but lingering in the back of my mind after having all these vehicles was the want of the almighty MKIV.

That brings me to about 2 weeks ago when the STi sold and i had the opportunity to start looking for an MKIV. Twin turbos were out of my realistic price range and i happened to find Sheldons (FLZ_Boy) 1994 NA 5spd for sale. It had been meticulously maintained by himself and FSR Motorsports so I know it had been in good hands. This car, to me would be an excellent platform to build upon. Onto the pics.

As Sheldon had it, still in track guise.

First was to remove the numbers as I'm not a CC9 class racer. In doing so, i found the opportunity to start correcting the paint with a porter cable and 3D Detailing products. The paint fortunately is very cooperative and did not need much correction to come back to its deep black jewel-like shine.

the clear bra was also removed from the leading edge of the hood and also fortunately the paint was still in excellent shape but it took quite a few hours to remove the old adhesive residue.

in the meantime i had also purchased a pristine condition HKS Drager, from Brian (beezupra) as the venerable 2JZ of course is deserving of an authoritive voice.

though the car is currently obviously still NA it is surprisingly quiet, as the gigantic muffler of the Drager does its job well.

3 Spoke steering wheel w/ red stitching (from Sooprasaiyan!) also going on:

being that MKIV's are so old nowadays, part of the privilege of owning a MKIV is also restoring it to your hearts content. though the car had all gold badging and also the "Supra SE" gold emblem in the back, it wasn't for me. all new badges were ordered from my local toyota dealer. good thing i have a friend that works there as i foresee going back there alot! haha

the car came with a set of silver oem twin turbo wheels with RS3's. great tires and ill keep those for autox and trackdays. for my street set, i went to the mecca of jdm wheels in socal, VR wheels.

(not my picture, below)

as one of my favorite wheels are work equips, i initally had looked for those, but had found a set of "GMR DS-1" wheels, brand new, that he had for sale. Jack at VR wheels makes these in house. the widths and offsets on this particular set were perfect for the MKIV in functionality, and both for ease of fitment on the stock body. the wheels are fully forged, 3 piece wheels. the barrels are forged as also the faces. jack informed me that real equips have cast centers, as opposed to these having forged faces. im not to say one is better than the other in construction, but these wheels are extremely light! and very strong to boot. they were quite pricey but i have no complaints as they were likely the highest quality set of wheels i've ever owned lol

so on they went:

the front end has quite a bit of peppering as you can see, but its expected from being a track car. its going to be out there again so it is what it is.

aem v2 flexfuel setup tuned by FSR works seamlessly and flawlessly.

thats it for now. not bad for only my first week of ownership. i have a boostlogic turbo manifold itching to go on but there will be lots of other parts to purchase and use in conjunction with it before this car gets to breathe through a turbo.

boost to come!

cheers,
-Mark

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, i will continue to track the car, time permitting. i can't thank you enough for the exhaust BTW! its velvety tone really makes going through the gears a pleasure.

-JDM Supra SZ-R Series 1 Bilstein and SZ-R Springs
-R2 Control Arm Bushings (Lower Front Arms use OEM Bushings)
-TRD LSD.
-Stainless Steel Brake Lines.
-all new wheel bearings
-Carbontech XP-10’s Race Brake Pads.
-Stu Hagen’s Oil & Power Steerling Cooler Setup
-Titan Motorsports Adjustable Swaybars with new OEM endlinks(rear), aftermarket endlinks (front)
-Stainless Steel Power Steering lines

^thats just the suspension/track reliablity/setup mods. the car has been very well sorted. i have a set of coilovers that i might send to Odi at "Feal suspension" to be revalved and resprung for track use.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Looks great love the wheels

·
Registered
224 Posts
Those wheels look great on the Supra. Was that their last set of GMR DS-1?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Welcome back.

Glad to see Sheldon's Supra is in good hands. He would occasionally stop by my house and we'd discuss what's new. He would always share any new maintenance or modification. You got a great California street legal track approved Supra there. I've driven it before, feels solid.

I'm happy to see you got it some real needed mods! Hahaha. I would always bug him over getting rims and an exhaust. Great to know it's getting boosted. It'll be really interesting to see this car go through the changes. Known it for a long time now.

Again, congrats.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks great love the wheels
thanks Chi_weezy! they're not as baller as LM5's, but they will have to do ;)

Those wheels look great on the Supra. Was that their last set of GMR DS-1?
as far as i know, yes. i don't know if they were actually his first set but they were the only ones there. though, he advised they were be officially released within the next year.

Looks great. Welcome back Mark.
thanks! i never took a break from actually browsing supraforums, but its nice to actually be here as an owner again :D

Welcome back.
*snip
Again, congrats.
thanks! its good to hear that from someone else. after talking to Sheldon for awhile, he instilled me with lots of confidence that this would be a great car.

Great pickup and good looking Supra. Love those wheels.
thank you sir! i remember your screen name from way back! im a firm believer that the wheels make the car, so i had to do so right away :D

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,873 Posts
Awesome start to the build (1 week) and having you back in the saddle where it all started. Enjoy the journey

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Rik! the initial mods are sometimes the easiest and most satisfying to personalize the car. the difficult, long road ahead will be fun :)

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks turbomopie! i try! its not a showcar, but it wears its track battle scars proudly.

also, 3 spoke wheel is in! it took a little figuring, but i deleted the cruise control stalk as this wheel did not have a provision for it. no worries though as the cruise control mechanism was already previously deleted in the engine bay anyway. horn works and everything is normal otherwise :)

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Mark, brother, good to have you back! ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome! I think i just followed ya on IG haha. I was wondering who bought Sheldon's car. I just sold my built 430whp MR2 and have my white MKIV on the way.. Look forward to meeting with more SoCal peeps!

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark, brother, good to have you back! ;)
thanks Nick, it took me long enough!

Awesome! I think i just followed ya on IG haha. I was wondering who bought Sheldon's car. I just sold my built 430whp MR2 and have my white MKIV on the way.. Look forward to meeting with more SoCal peeps!
lol sweet dude! if anything, that was my most favorite thing about the supra world. going to meets and dyno days! :)

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I'm very happy that Sheldon's car found it's way into the hands of a longtime enthusiast and prior owner :) I love what you're doing with it so far!

Being in NM I can't imagine being able to drive to someplace like VRwheels - you Socal guys have a pretty sweet gig when it comes to local shops & support!

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm very happy that Sheldon's car found it's way into the hands of a longtime enthusiast and prior owner :) I love what you're doing with it so far!

Being in NM I can't imagine being able to drive to someplace like VRwheels - you Socal guys have a pretty sweet gig when it comes to local shops & support!
I appreciate the kind words Jeff! we discussed awhile back about me going the NA-T route with one of the sc300's ive had, but the opportunity came to purchase Sheldons car and im much happier with this car as the project. He obviously put alot of time and effort to get it where it is, and lots of credit to where credit is due. but hopefully it will be personalized enough to my liking that it will be "Marks" car, lol. such is the case with well known, sorted cars.

and yes, that place VR wheels is a little overwhelming. i couldn't stay there too long because i kept finding wheels that i liked! all i kept seeing was period correct stuff and in my head i kept thinking about a 90's japanese car that each wheel would look perfect on...... a guy can dream.

i appreciate all these positive responses guys! ill continue to update as the car evolves :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Beautiful wheels! It is amazing what a 3 spoke wheel does for the interior of the older models that had the bulky 4 spoke. They command such a high price but I suppose I can see why

1 - 20 of 116 Posts