Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Mark,

I could not be happier for you! I've followed your journey for years, it seems, and it's fantastic to see it all come together for you. Props to pops and your buddy, Bruno, as well. Hope to see you and the car in 2017.

Ken.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Mark,

I could not be happier for you! I've followed your journey for years, it seems, and it's fantastic to see it all come together for you. Props to pops and your buddy, Bruno, as well. Hope to see you and the car in 2017.

Ken.
Thanks Ken,

It has been quite a project from the beginning. Balancing time, money, and motivation has been a great challenge. Sometimes its even hard to begin the work, knowing the light and the end of the tunnel is so faint. BUT, its definitely getting there and all the wrenching here and there has added up to something nice.

Not to be nostalgic, but I've been inspired to build a nice MKIV since about 2001-2002, when i first saw your 94 HKS twin'ed car, in person at a SFV supra meet. It was held next to a place called "Yankee Doodles". I had an 88T at the time..... anyway, that style, taste and standard of "correctly" building a supra are ingrained in me. I try to do so, even if my car isn't the most immaculate example. If the patina is honest, I'm good with it ;)

cheers,
Mark

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
my boostlogic NA-T fmic piping was designed for the oem intake manifold, so i had an excess of piping to use to fabricate to my liking. fitted and mocked this up at home, and again had Aron from AcedAutoWorx weld it up. the blue tape is where my cuts were made, nearly seamless. I wanted Aron to not worry about filling anything so I made my cuts as precise as possible, to clear the AC lines, my intake pipe, and everything else around it. It came out with more or less exact fitment, as you can see. I did not want to cheat and use any angled couplers.

coldside and turbo intake pipe next!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Setup looks great, I'm hoping to build something pretty close to that with my 97 N/A 5-speed.

Can you give a detailed breakdown of mods & EMS?

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Setup looks great, I'm hoping to build something pretty close to that with my 97 N/A 5-speed.

Can you give a detailed breakdown of mods & EMS?
thanks! uhm, ive never really posted a full mod list for this car.... so here goes:

AEM 30-6101 Version 2 standalone w/flex fuel, AEM 3.5 bar map sensor and AEM iat sensor
AEM 320lph fuel pump
ID1000's w/Aeromotive AFPR
PT71GTQ single scroll w/ custom 4" downpipe and 4" midpipe
BoostLab single turbo -4 feed,-10 drain oil line kit
HKS Racing Titanium 3108-RT001 exhaust (also HKS Super Drager)
HKS 200mm Super Mega Flow intake w/ 100mm inlet
HKS Hipermax 2 coilovers
HKS Twin Power Ignition amplifier Distributor-Type w/HKS plug and play harness
Boostlogic NA-T turbo manifold
Boostlogic NA-T fmic, custom fabricated hardpipes and 4" intake
Tial MVR 44mm external wastegate
Tial Q 50mm blow off valve
FSMOTO front facing intake manifold, welded to oem runners
Ross Machine Racing 90mm throttle body w/ billet tps adapter
Brian Crower BC0315 2JZGE stage 3 272 intake and exhaust camshafts
Brian Crower BC0300 valve springs and titanium retainers
Gates Racing T215RB timing belt
PHR billet timing belt tensioner bracket
TRD LSD
TRD engine mounts
TRD front strut tower bar
TRD Steering wheel
Competition Clutch Stage 4 6-puck sprung clutch
Competition Clutch 13lb lightweight flywheel
billet tripod bushings on w58 shifter
ARP headstuds
OEM TT rear differential bushings
GMR DS-1 wheels, fully forged 18x9, 18x10
R2 Control Arm Bushings
Titan front and rear swaybars
Recaro Speed seats driver+passenger
Bride MO seat rails+base brackets
GReddy shift knob
Stainless Steel brake lines
Carbontech XP-10 brake pads
Motul RBF600
Stu Hagen Oil & Power Steering Coolers w/ Autometer Oil pressure, Oil Temperature, and Coolant Temperature gauges
Stainless Steel Power Steering lines

zero exterior mods.

im probably missing some small things here and there. all gaskets have been replaced, oem stuff i didn't really list. the car was roadraced in sanctioned racing a few years ago, so the engine has been completely gone through and rebuilt (with stock components) before I touched it. W58 was also rebuilt prior to my ownership and shifts beautifully.

Since my ownership, all work has been done at home other than some welding. ;)

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
today or tomorrow im going to have the bung welded on the last intercooler pipe that connects to the throttle body for the IAT sensor, then i can hand polish that pipe.....

down for 6 months, took my time.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Looks great! Congrats on completion!
thanks!

my friend Bruno and I also got to open her up today. not only has he been a great friend for a few years, but he's now my tuner. this is base boost, wastegate spring only. about 11-12psi. i almost forgot how awesome the 2J sounds when it touches 8k rpm. i was almost certain that i was going to recirculate the wastegate, but now im not so sure ;)

the PT71GTQ + boostlogic header + tial mvr vented to atmosphere sure sound sweet.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
This thang looks clean as hell. Noise!!!!!
thank you sir, the car was actually REALLY dusty from sitting in the garage for about six months.

so, i finally gave it a wash today and of course, had to do a walkaround clip and some rev's. sometimes projects don't go exactly how you envisioned them, but for me, this one did.

the 272's idle nicely with a distinct crackle, and the lightweight flywheel makes the engine extremely snappy.

here are also a few more pictures, just because.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
So, Mark, about those wheels.....:).

Ken.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
So, Mark, about those wheels.....:).

Ken.
Hmm, yes Ken? I feel they look period correct, no?

Tuning is progressing nicely thus far. Though, maybe something about the 4" RMR throttle body causes it to slightly hang open when closing the throttle slowly. It's definitely not binding so I'll probably open the throttle slightly with the stop adjustment screw and use a little less IACV duty to balance that out.

Other than that it's very drivable. Though, inconspicuous this car is not. haha!

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
VERY nice build-up. I love seeing an NA-T like this done SO right! I'm excited also to see that BC filled that long-empty niche in the market for a non-vvti GE exhaust camshaft!

Hmm, yes Ken? I feel they look period correct, no?

Tuning is progressing nicely thus far. Though, maybe something about the 4" RMR throttle body causes it to slightly hang open when closing the throttle slowly. It's definitely not binding so I'll probably open the throttle slightly with the stop adjustment screw and use a little less IACV duty to balance that out.

Other than that it's very drivable. Though, inconspicuous this car is not. haha!
I think that's Ken's way of saying "I'll buy those wheels if you put them up for sale"

I would love to own a clean set of Equips like that - who wouldn't!? :) They're perfect for a Supra.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
I think that's Ken's way of saying "I'll buy those wheels if you put them up for sale"

I would love to own a clean set of Equips like that - who wouldn't!? :) They're perfect for a Supra.
My man Jeff. He KNOWS!! Definitely period-correct, Mark, and I would definitely like to buy them if they ever came up for sale (hint :)). Great job, bud.

Ken.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
haha! It might disappoint you Ken, and Jeff, but the wheels are actually "GMR DS-1". However, they are 3 piece, fully forged, and very light and strong. the faces and barrels are forged (OG equips have cast faces) They are made in-house from a small company here in California (1st page of this thread). It is understandable that they are assumed to be Equips, I held the faces side by side with OG Equips and they were indistinguishable. Once my current tires wear out I will have the inner barrels replaced to make them 10" wide in the front and 11.5" in the rear......

I just wanted to clarify that because I have no reason to lead anyone on about them. I went that route since I wanted to buy brand new, forged, unused wheels. They are definitely high quality and had the exact look i wanted for this car. :)

cheers,
Mark

61 - 80 of 116 Posts