Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
its the little things..... #everythingisimportant

after having a temporary dumptube, i wanted to fab one specific to my setup. my dad tackled this, and being a retired structural engineer hes great at fabrication. he made the template you see below and the result fits perfectly. yes, i know its a simple dump tube but even something this minor, i feel, has to be "just right".

happy new year guys,

Mark

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
it'll be interesting, but I have no power goal, just continuing to dial in my tune when i have time. yep still running off the WG spring (11.6psi) and I don't really have any plans to change it or add a boost controller.

as it is now, it spins my 285's as soon as the turbo wakes up in 2nd gear, just above 5k. :)

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I been quietly watching your project. Good job on your determination. For my reference, since you lifted the engine out, any abnormal wear to head or block before you made your modifications? I'm curious for my records if I decide to make another NA road racer (but age is getting the best of me now).

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Fantastic job Mark, I'm so very happy for you with how you've built your Supra. It looks and sounds fantastic! :bigthumb:
thanks Steve! eventhough its only been about 2 weeks since the car has been re-awakened, the excitement has never lessened. its definitely a feast for the senses from the symphony of all the new sounds. Though, since nearly every other day is a test and tune, I'm going to put the HKS Drager back on tomorrow. The HKS Ti sounds beautiful but its just too loud throughout all these shakedowns. I have a feeling the Drager will still sound nice with the 4" DP+4"MP in front of it.

I been quietly watching your project. Good job on your determination. For my reference, since you lifted the engine out, any abnormal wear to head or block before you made your modifications? I'm curious for my records if I decide to make another NA road racer (but age is getting the best of me now).
Thanks Sheldon, I did not remove the head, despite all these recent mods. Though, the entire engine did not exhibit anything unusual before I touched it. When I removed the valve covers and inspected the cams, it all looked very fresh, clean, and new. All the valve clearances were still within spec. The head was very clean overall, though the inside of the intake manifold, its runners, and the throttle body had some buildup....likely from normal PCV function. The oil pan, when I removed it, did not have any buildup in the bottom of it. The only hiccup with the motor was a rear main seal leak that had started about a week before I decided to begin the whole NA-T project. All other seals, valve covers, front main seal, and cam seals were fine (but i replaced them anyway) OH I also had found that the "supercharger" faint whine that the car had this entire time was from the accessory belt idler pulley bearing, not from anything power steering related. The ACT clutch was also in good shape, only chattering because of oil contamination to the friction surfaces from the rear main seal leak. The W58 shifts as well as the day I bought the car (now with fresh MT90 again), with no issues at all.

I thank you for keeping this car in great shape as a solid platform!

-Mark

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
Subscribed! I love what you have done with your Supra, Mark. It came out so much better than I envisioned. Thank you for your help regarding my inquiries into going NA-T for a project of my own. When you get more time, pictures and videos!

·
Boost Junkie
12,456 Posts
Can't believe I missed this build. Awesome work so far. Keep up the good work!

Steve

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Subscribed! I love what you have done with your Supra, Mark. It came out so much better than I envisioned. Thank you for your help regarding my inquiries into going NA-T for a project of my own. When you get more time, pictures and videos!
Thanks Sunny! Its definitely been awhile, my friend. Let me know if you have any other questions. NA-T isn't for everybody, but I feel they aren't done as often in this manner. More vids and pics will come soon.

Can't believe I missed this build. Awesome work so far. Keep up the good work!

Steve
Thank you Steve! Every little bit counts, and thats been my mindset!

more updates for all:

As much as I love the look and sound of the HKS Ti, sometimes its a bit too much for my passenger. When going out for coffee or something, she definitely finds it intrusive, and I'm not very good at arguing in Portuguese. While she doesn't get the last word with this car, I decided to modify my HKS Drager so I have a quieter option when I feel like it.......

What I did is use the 3" two bolt-to-4" vband adapter piece that comes with the HKS Ti, flipped it around, chopped off the existing flange of the Drager, and welded that on. I cut the adapter down so its actually more of a 4"->3.5" transition. Now I have something modular that connects to my fully vbanded 4"DP+4"MP setup. I painted over the weld to make it look as untouched and finished as possible.

It still sounds great but now has less volume all around, which was what I was hoping. When the wastegate opens, of course, the inner beast is apparent. No drone, still a HUGE canister (which i love), and at my power levels, not a restriction at all.

I also installed a Koyo R1856 race radiator, blitz radiator cap, and black HPS silicone hoses for piece of mind. At the same time I also installed a new oem clutch fan viscous coupling, and a new oem fan shroud, to satisfy the ocd feeling of having a clean slate for the cooling system.

AND, finally, theres now a blow off valve on the car. just a simple black tial Q in the drivers side duct.

no, its not always lit up like that. just had a light on it before re-installing the factory undertray. From the direct front facing view, its hardly visible, and does not block my power steering and oil cooler.

cheers guys,
Mark

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
just a couple things to add today. so, the HKS Drager, although perfectly adequate, just doesn't have the sinister sound that I love. so it came off, and back on went the HKS Ti. The least I could do was take a comparison picture for you guys. you can also see where i v-banded the front of the Drager.

now my slight crackle of the cams at idle and the sinister turbine "whirr" out the exhaust can be clearly heard, even at idle.

some icing for the cake also showed up today. BNIB HKS GT heat shield. i actually made a temporary DIY heat shield, seen in the background, but i had to have this piece. the blueish/purple tint you see is just some film to protect it before use.

and just for laughs heres a short clip just driving around. its very tractable in stop and go traffic, despite the laggy turbo, big 4" throttle body, 272 cams, lightweight flywheel, and 6 puck clutch. its loud, but in a good way. not very apparent in the video though. i apologize for all the talking, she gets excited in this car.....

hold on to your chonies, :lol:

Mark

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
:lol: yea, I'll change it eventually. it's not really a priority at the moment. I think my aem fuel pump died, walbro 416 on the way....

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
walbro e85 416 pump is in, powered through a relay triggered by the oem FP ecu. Fired right up, though maybe I might have to adjust my base fuel pressure since this pump is flowing much more. Likely I'll also have to adjust the fueling portion of the map, hopefully none of it was compensating for the dying aem pump.

Surprisingly the previously installed aem pump was running only off the NA FP ecu.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
great build man, inspirational!
thank you sir, just wanted to do the best with what I had to work with. The car has been very reliable and running very well these past few months. so well in fact that I haven't even had my laptop in the car for that same amount of time.

It's a good feeling to hop in, have fun and go where you need to go without keeping tabs on every single thing. I've also used the flex fuel capability a few times while out of town, and it's worked seamlessly. Hot and cold starts have been dialed in, and actually the only thing that's out of the norm (to anyone riding with me thats unfamiliar with modded cars) is the groan/squeal of the 6 puck when taking off from low rpm. If I take off above around 2500rpm it doesn't make a sound.

If I were aiming for the next upgrade it would be, the very least, oem TT brakes. But we'll see...

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
has it already been 6 months since an update??

Any dyno numbers yet? How's the W58 holding up?
no dyno numbers yet as its just been street tuned. im more or less at 15psi on the 71GTQ with conservative timing and its holding up just fine. rolling in second gear on sticky Federal RSRR's spins them easily.

the entire setup itself has been very reliable and the tune has been touched up by another friend of mine who has tuned other cars of mine. its been great on 91 and E85, hot starts cold starts all great.

I removed the GMR DS-1 wheels, which are for sale btw, and installed a set of legit Work Equips 18x8.5 +24 and 18x9.5 +28, that clear TT brakes that I have planned in the future.

i also finally updates the headlights to 97/98's

always turns heads at the local cars and coffee-

that was all fine and dandy for a few months but I came across another set of wheels, which to me where always my dream setup. Work Meister S1 3pc... 19x9.5 and 19x11. I specifically wanted a low offset, and knew I had to slightly stretch the tire. This is just a street car only for me so I dont mind this type of fitment and it appeals to me. :)

theyre a custom color setup with Midnight Purple faces and Neochrome hardware. for the most part they actually look black but in direct sun the purple sparkles through.

this definitely wont fit a completely stock body without rolling/pulling, which I've already done.

im very happy with this look and its plenty functional. the car continues to evolve :)

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
Ken wanted the GMR DS-1's or at least he indicated that he did and I would definitely start there. :)

81 - 100 of 116 Posts