Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Driven
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100+ Octane for $2.80 AVIATION FUEL!
Does anyone here know if this would be safe to run in a car with no cats or egr?

I think I want to run this to get rid of a high psi detonation that I am experiencing.

Would this be ok to run in my daily driver?

Would it be better to mix it 50/50 with the 91 at the pump in Cali?

Would it be better than just putting a bottle of NOS octane boost (off road)....that actually raises about 6 points per tank?

Any suggestions?????

Should I try the aviation gas???

:(

S

·
0 Posts
Where can you get 100 octane for that price per gallon? I've only seen 104 octane, but it was like $4-6 per gallon in Sacramento.

S

·
0 Posts
By the way, I've heard that when octane booster says it raises the octane by six points, it really means that it raises it from 91 -> 91.6 and not actually 91 -> 97.

Speaking of octane boosters, someone on the mr2 board found this page. I don't know if I have the guts to try it out:
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

B

·
0 Posts
where do u get high octaine, and where do u go to learn onhow to make race fuel:(

R

·
0 Posts
avation fuel has a high lead content and if youre running a cat youre gonna foul it up pretty damn fast. Youre fuel filter is also going to go south very quickly. Dont use avation fuel.
most octane boosters claim gains of 6 points in fuel. Most of those gains are seen in regular gas and not in premium(91+ octane)
dont be fooled by some of these claims....you might see a gain of 2-3 pts if yorue lucky

hope that helps fellas.

·
Driven
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Qualen!

Look at the dates. I posted this question at the SAME TIME in 2 different places.
Performance/dyno and also in Tech in order to get as much response from as many educated people as possible!

Since you have obviously seen my question....why don't you tell me what you are running in your MONSTER......?

Also, as you can see I have received many many many different opinions on this question and I would like as much input as possible from all of you "high boost" guys......seems like you would know from experience what to use.......right???

Anyway for everyone else out there I called Chevron/Texaco and spoke to one of their "engineers" about this and after an hour with him on the phone..........he gave me a very good education and also said that 1/3 avgas and 2/3 pump would be just fine!!!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that aviation fuel is nitromethane rather than gasoline...and running that in your gasoline engine can cause problems. I don't think that running leaded fuel would cause any big problems, although it would clog up your cats...so if you use leaded gas, remove your cats.

A nifty (though somewhat expensive) way to get rid of detonation if you are spraying is to mix NO2 with Propane, rather than letting it mix with gasoline. You probably need a direct-port fogger to achieve this, and some way to cut off the fuel injectors right when the spray comes.

A third choice is water injection...but most FI people already know about that one.

FORCE-FED said:
100+ Octane for $2.80 AVIATION FUEL!
Does anyone here know if this would be safe to run in a car with no cats or egr?

I think I want to run this to get rid of a high psi detonation that I am experiencing.

Would this be ok to run in my daily driver?

Would it be better to mix it 50/50 with the 91 at the pump in Cali?

Would it be better than just putting a bottle of NOS octane boost (off road)....that actually raises about 6 points per tank?

Any suggestions?????

Should I try the aviation gas???

:(

R

·
0 Posts
first of all....no airplanes dont use nitromethane

Lead will not only foul your cats it will clog your fuel filter(s)....if you feel like replacing it all the time feel free.....you could also cause damage to your injectors due to the high lead content
Aviation gasoline (known as "avgas") for piston-engine aircraft contains four times more lead than was used in leaded automotive gasoline before it was banned from use in new cars in 1973

Alky injection kits are reliable to use for you big boosters out there....Matt Monet at dynamic racing uses it for all his cars....all his 11 sec runs (11.002 is the fastest) have been made on 91 octane fuel with alky injection.

S

·
0 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that 100LL AVGAS had lower lead than any of the race gas like CAM2. In the previous post there was something mentioned about steady RPM and this is correct that 100LL AVGAS isn't formulated for dynamic situations of widely varying RPM and load. It IS designed to fight detonation better than 100 octane unleaded as offered on the east coast. Many General Aviation airplanes run turbochargers and 100LL AVGAS.

I've tried it up to 50% on a few tanks and it seems fine. I don't have CATS and I don't really care about my 02 sensor lifespan, though.

I also read that in a 50% mixture with 93 octane, it will raise the octane more than the 3.5 points in the 7 point spread between them... It was something like 98.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
rovr4 said:
...Aviation gasoline (known as "avgas") for piston-engine aircraft contains four times more lead than was used in leaded automotive gasoline before it was banned from use in new cars in 1973...
Fwiw, I can get 110 octane lead-free avgas from a skydiving buddy of mine (they have their own avgas truck!), for only $2.50/gal. I'd like to run this 1/3 pump (93 octane) with 2/3 of the 110 octane avgas...I'm guessing I'd have to run a bit richer to compensate for the different specific gravity of the avgas...does anyone know the exact % difference in specific gravity?

F

·
0 Posts
From what i know av gas is designed to work at hi altitude and at low temps. So the gas can actually atomize before it comes out of the injector. Considering this is the reason why most people don't use AV gas in their cars.
VP fuels ( what I sell) has a unleaded gas of 103 r/m factor octane rating, the motor rating is @ 97 the highest unleaded fuel out there (for automotives)from what i know.
I think the VP site is VPracingfuels.com

S

·
0 Posts
Frisbee,

What can we expect to pay for the 54 gallon drums of V.Ps "Performance Unleaded" 100octane?

I may be interested in buying a few drums from a distributor. Also, what can be expected of shipping costs, methods, etc?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts