Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Driven
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know if this would be safe to run in a car with no cats or egr?

I think I want to run this to get rid of a high psi detonation that I am experiencing.

Would this be ok to run in my daily driver?

Would it be better to mix it 50/50 with the 91 at the pump in Cali?

Would it be better than just putting a bottle of NOS octane boost (off road)....that actually raises about 6 points per tank?

Any suggestions?????

Should I try the aviation gas???

:(

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
asdf

not sure about the aviation fuel, but I am going to try xylene...When I read about that nos octane booster in hot rod magazine a while ago they said that when they claim to raise your octane six points it usually means .6, so 91 +octane booster = 91.6..

A

·
0 Posts
It has lead, so don't expect much life out of your 02 sensor, just like race gas. It works fantastic.

Problem is, good luck getting anyone to sell it to you. I tried, they refused. It's for aircraft only. Unless you show up with a Cessna, you are probably out of luck.

I

·
0 Posts
Aviation Fuel is designed for high altitude usage...it works funny at seal level. Its not a good idea to mix it with 91 either. At a 1:3 gallon mixture of Xylene with 91, you should get 97.5 octane, and the same 1:3 mix of Xylene with 93 will give you 99 octane...which should be quite nice...if you can get some 99 around your area. Of course you could always go 1:2 on 91 and get 99.6 octane, which will probably be as close to 100 as you are going to get without going over.

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
sdf

doing a 1:3 ratio using 12 gallons..so
9 gallons of 91
3 gallons of xylene
how much of that other stuff do i need to add..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Avgas 100/130 has research and motor octane numbers slightly over 100 and contains 4 grams of lead per gallon.

Avgas 100LL(Low Lead) has research and motor octane similar to 100/130 and has a high level of aromatics.

Keep in mind that avgas has a different specific gravity than regular or racing gas and can actually lean out your engine and it also does not have the BTU content of pump gas. Not to mention, obviously you have to be an airplane owner or an A&P mechanic to buy avgas as there's no "ground tax" on it.

Toluene is actually 27% of the makeup of racing gas by volume whereas it's only 9% of 92 pump gas. To make a gallon of advertised "Octane Booster w/cleaner & lubricant":
100oz of Toulene (for octane boost)
25oz of Diesel fuel or kerosene (cleaning agent)
3oz of transmission fluid or 2 stroke oil (lubricant)
For the Supra you would need about 5 gallons of toulene mix to 10-11 gallons of pump gas to yield about 102 octane (add another 5 points for aluminum heads).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts