Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody concider this at all? Any thoughts?

Doing some minor research, as far as fill-ups, it is the equivilent of 104 octane but only costs a bit more than 93 octane equally. Not too much to it supposedly...drop the stock gas tank in favor of a propane one, have a proportioning valve to change the stored liquid propane to gaseous before going into the combustion chamber. Thinking about this from a performance point of view, I think I could actually rebuild my engine with higher compression pistons and still run a decent amount of boost.

Still looking very much into it and have alot to learn about it. What is everyone's opinion and thoughts?

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
So innovative, I'd love to hear more. :bigthumb:

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
tookwik4u89 said:
You could hook your grill up to it at the track , and Hank Hill will love it!
:lol:

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
what about saftey? thats a big cyclinder (sp?) full of compressed propane that your gonna have somewhere in the car......

<l><l>

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
it will go BOOM!! and gas will go ... burn.. depending on how strong the gas tank is. will be good to see.. also wont it run hotter?

I really wanna see if you could go bio on it, or at least a n/a bio.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen 50/50 setups in WRX's and they were BLISTERINGLY fast....just kind of a PITA to make it all practical. Not for nothing though, this is the way of lots of city transportation...natural gas or propane. If you can get the kind of range you need and want out of a tank of propane, by all means it's a great way to go (if you can engineer it properly). Probably the most common complaint is a decreased vehicle range due to less storage capacity.

~Tim

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
acctualy that is very popular conversion in europe (and not because ocatene, but because over there propane is almost twice cheaper than gas). i have seen it on many cars including nice mercedes and other high class cars. most of the time they install propane tank in the trunk and leave gas tank. new lines are instaled and you can switch between propane and gas. this is done because some people say that runing engine on propane only is not god for it. so it is recomended to run one tank of gas after every ten tanks of propane. but it is sure doable on any car.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
Now i've seen them at work, but never in a fast car...in egypt taxi cabs actually have a big ass propane tank in their trunk and they fill up at gas stations, that have a special pump for propane...they use it for better gas mileage and same price...but u know that when someone crashes in2 tha back...usually (in egypt at least) they blow up...not 2 safe imho...cool nevertha less...

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
dziuggy said:
acctualy that is very popular conversion in europe (and not because ocatene, but because over there propane is almost twice cheaper than gas). i have seen it on many cars including nice mercedes and other high class cars. most of the time they install propane tank in the trunk and leave gas tank. new lines are instaled and you can switch between propane and gas. this is done because some people say that runing engine on propane only is not god for it. so it is recomended to run one tank of gas after every ten tanks of propane. but it is sure doable on any car.

Ive seen it done extensively in Australia and Newzealand as well..

·
Registered
689 Posts
i am pretty sure its a few thousand for one of these conversion kits. and it makes the engine bay look like a space station.

·
SMFL
223 Posts
NeatOman said:
it will go BOOM!! and gas will go ... burn.. depending on how strong the gas tank is. will be good to see.. also wont it run hotter?

I really wanna see if you could go bio on it, or at least a n/a bio.
You have that backwards. The boom and burn part.

We already have those cars. They are pitifully slow. Fleets use them becuase of it. Some manufacturers even sell dual tank cars for natural gas and gasoline. Propane is a little different than natural gas, but much more similar than propane to gasoline.

Alcohol burns much cooler, hence the naturally higher octane rating. It takes more heat and pressure to ignite. With a shtload of cylinder pressure, well beyond most street cars, you can mix alcohol and have a much more aggressive state of tune, increasing the power.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
propane isn't bad, but your range is very limited... if you have a diesel and you give it some propane injection, then that's a different story...

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Few replies for the comments above: getting slammed from the back with a propane tank wouldnt be much different from getting rammed with a gas tank...yes gas isnt too flamable as a liquid, but with a propane tank I highly doubt it would be much worse than a gas tank. In any case I'd be trying a custom tank that would be thick enough to take a beating..also not sure if the tank has to be cylindrical, but I hope not. Would be easier if it wasnt, but we'll see.

What do you mean by bio? Biogasoline like E100 ethanol? Incredibly corrosive and harmful to the touch, but not completely out of the future.

As far as conversion kits, I wouldnt actually be buying one, but making one. Much cheaper and I can get specific parts for my application.

Did a search and looks like the only remnants of propane talk was in the MkIV forum, but I know someone mentioned it briefly for an N/A, though not sure how serious he was, and not sure how long this intrest will last but still very curious

·
Registered
413 Posts
The propane tanks are cylinders because they are under extreme pressure, and the shape helps keep it together. That is always why it is FAR different than a gas tank. The gasoline is flammable when ignited directly, however the fear of explosion of a propane tank isn't about ignition but about released pressure through the puncture in the tank. Have you ever gotten freezer burned by LPG?

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
we have vett down hear at the track that pushes 420hp that just run on propain it's crazy fast car and he drive it sure dame good he built it as well

on the other note i asked him about trubo chargeing and he said ti chould be done and he said he try it some day soon

ps he use a carb as in efi whould be very hard to control

1 - 20 of 33 Posts