Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my relocated oil filter hit and scraped the side walk, and leaked my oil out I got a little rod knock. My cure was to rip it all apart, and get the crank recut, and all the rods cut, and installed everything back together. I have a dual oil filter mount to add extra oil volume. Any way my stock sender was no good, and that is why I got knock, I didnt know my pressure was droppping after the oil filter scraped the ground. So I raised the height of the filter mount, and got a new autometer oil pressure gauge, and sender kit. My new oil pumnp is shimmed and I get 100psi at start up. It then idles at 50psi untill it gets hot. After driving for a while the idle settles to 25psi and cruises at 40psi at 2500 rpms. At 3000rpms I get 45psi and over that 50-60. I havent tried higer rpms test yet but I have gotten up to 75psi in lowwer gears. :bigthumb:

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
swwweeeeettttt!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
isnt that too much oil pressure?

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
SuprAng said:
isnt that too much oil pressure?
I would think so.

I was gettin 120 or so and it was blowing the cam seals out of the head. :ugh2:

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Yes its too much. A common forgotten aspect is the 7m is low pressure high volume. Toyota was ingenious in this concept. As pressure causes friction, friction casues heat. By flowwing a large amount of oil at lower pressures, you maintain full lubrication, with reduced wasted heating.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
that's a little high.
Can't you run the risk of popping out seals etc?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Why is it too much? If it isnt blowing out the seals I say RUN IT! As long as all other indications are normal, I think its worth the "risk"

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Way to much. My buddy was running 100+ in his vr4 galant and was blowing out the seal on the oil filter. Im thinking you will run into some problems with that much.

·
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We will see if its too much. I am not crusing at 100psi, its only on start up. I will be monitoring evwerything for sure. I will keep you all posted! I will soon swtich to synthetic which is thinner and should keep things in check!

·
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
p5150 said:
Why is it too much? If it isnt blowing out the seals I say RUN IT! As long as all other indications are normal, I think its worth the "risk"

Agreed... 10w40 oil weight!

·
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
supra8795 said:
Way to much. My buddy was running 100+ in his vr4 galant and was blowing out the seal on the oil filter. Im thinking you will run into some problems with that much.

Bet he had low quality filter... this happened to me before, and mobile one oil filters cured that. Also fram was better to help with seal problems at the filter. Some oil filters are poorly made. I have personally found that mobile one will flow in cold temps below 30 degrees where other filters were blowing the gasket. Get mobile one, and be safe. They cost more, but I have found them to be worth every penny.

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
i dunno ant... toyota designed the 7m to have 4.3psi at idle.... 100psi id be shitting my pants!

that motor that tony built blew a MHG on me...so my motor is out again being repaired.

should be back up and running a week or so. get your shit straight and lets go to the track!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
p5150 said:

i hear what your sayin
but i wouldn't want to risk it, especially if its the only car i have to drive.

Aw well, let us know how it holds up

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
ya but you wont really know until you take it up past redline.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
10W-40 is too thick. You really need to be looking for a 5W or 0W to help lower those cold oil pressures.

I would recommend a 0W-30 or something along those lines.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
mdr40z said:
try running some Mobil-1, maybe 5-30 or so
that would be my opinion as well (when you switch, as you said) - I run 5w-40 (Rotella Synth), and I still get 50-60 on startup, and hold ~40 on the highway, ~20 idling. We've had a few 90+ deg. days here recently, with no change in the oil performance (it's got ~2500 miles on it). With thicker weight oil, in cold(ish) weather, I hit ~80 psi, and it started blowing out past the rocker cover & CPS seals.

...btw, how much pressure will the turbo seals take?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts