Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were purchasing a low milage mint 98 supra do you think it would be worth the interest paid if paying 70k for it and almost 25k in interest over 7 years? Im having a hard time deciding if it would be worth the extra cash or not I mean I know the car over time will probably be worth more then that kept in its great condition, but what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Supra13 said:
Mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc. can be good investments if you do the right research and pick the right ones.
IE I'm no financial advisor, but I'd take a safe 4-5% annual return over praying that a Supra you had to finance over 7 years would one day (or in 2,555 days) be worth a 100K, not including interest paid, maintenance, liability, the list goes on. The hardest part about Supra ownership is that now most of the high ticket cars are paid for in cash by their owners, it's tough to look in the garage and realize how much $$$ you have sitting there that could be earning you a return. Hitting boost and enjoying the car a few times helps blur this :)

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
You could make a lot more than 4-5% (no disrespect to Wes) so really it is up to you and your future goals. It really sounds like you can't afford this particular Supra if you need to pay that much interest to get it. I personally would buy a less expensive one and go from there. No need to be stressed about making a car payment and taking all of the fun out of owning the car.

Steve K.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The finance part may not gain that much interest as I would be paying the car off probably sooner then expected. The money paying for the car is actually just extra cash basically thats not using my normal income to pay for it. Its just that extra 17-18k a year is always nice to have around but in the same sense who knows I could die tommorrow and the shit goes to the govt. which Id hate to see that happen. The more I think about it the more Im just like well the hell with it do it and worse case I could always sell again if need be but I have a feeling that it wouldnt be going anywhere in the next 10 years or so.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
real estate. thats what my parents do. try to buy pre construction and you can sell it right when its built and you walk away with a profit. i would not pay 75k for a toyota

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
94nasupra said:
real estate. thats what my parents do. try to buy pre construction and you can sell it right when its built and you walk away with a profit. i would not pay 75k for a toyota
:bigok:

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
user123 said:
umm, a HOUSE

100K on a Toyota is retarded. I say the max on a Supra being in mint condition is 67k$
:werd: unless its some car never seen before with less than 5k miles :rolleyes:

Z

·
0 Posts
briguy453 said:
^^^Such as?
A second house with a buy-to-let mortgage. Put down 10% deposit, let it out for 10 years (which will more than cover the mortgage on the interest) then sell it.

I paid the equivalent of $5k for my car on import (and $1.5k to fix it). That is the sort of money you should be wasting on a car unless you are a multi-millionaire.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you knew you had the extra funds to buy your dream car though and possibly knowing that you can pay off in under 5 years or less I mean thats my stand point in the situation. Its hard to let something go that you know you wont ever find again. One side says hell with it just do it, the other side says find one of a lesser car and be unhappy with it though.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
you must be looking at either A) Peter's QS or B) a LOW mileage RSP....either way its not worth it to be in the hole that much...if you insist on buying a 70K car, get a new Z06.

Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you can't pay cash - you can't afford it. it's a toy. it will never be worth more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ah yes 67K is much more reasonable. here's an idea. buy a mkiii and drop 50K in it. you'll be ahead of the game by ten grand.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I am a financial advisor at waddell and reed. Dont get that car and attempt at a profit. The risk of wrecking / getting stolen / a new supra or competator runining the market outweighs the return. If you want a place to invest it depends on what is already in your portfolio. Stay away from bonds for the next year because interest rates are on the rise. If you want more help im glad to lend a hand.

~scott

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It really wouldnt be putting me in the hole that much as stated before its extra cash that I have that I can use and It wont really hurt me that much. Its almost like the old super b's and daytona's which no one liked because of there large wings and now look if you can find a mint one youve got a gold mine sitting in front of you. But Im not so much looking at the sale of the car as I am to enjoy it and collect it as well as keep it in tip top shape for the years to come. I would not consider a Z06 a good buy because next year youll be able to save 10k on a used one and so on, cars now days just dont hold value especially high production cars such as the vette. Seems like every old guy and young female has one. Now a Supra in cherry condition is something to be seen. No this isnt Peter B's car and Im not that big of a fan of RSP it would have to be super clean for me to even compare to this cars cleanliness that Im considering.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts