Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been all over the internet reading about driving on tires that are older than 6 years...and YES..they are completely unsafe i agree. BUT, I have to drive my Supra to Discount Tire to replace my tires.

Just need peoples opinions on driving 10 miles to the tire shop on surface streets with a max speed of 45MPG. My tires show no cracking, is holding air, and full tread.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Keep the speeds low and you should be fine. I'd take back roads if you can.

Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
If the rubber is not cracked and holding air, I would drive a short distance, inspect tires then drive to the 10 mile destination. This is what I would do.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Should be fine. Just be cautious when driving and give good distance between you and everything as best you can.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well my perelli's are 12 years old and have no issues roll racing 150+mph!

Mine a 355/19" and cost around 1800 for new ones...but I drive under 500/year. My shop does Ferrari and Porsche and they said that the tire will only lose its softness over time but the safety is not an issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire shop guy here, if they dont show any visible cracking and hold air you should be fine. 12 years old isnt horrible, ive seen way older than that

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 98 M3 Roadster with 11 year old tires with absolutely no issues. Just inspect the tires for visible issues and make sure they are holding air and you'll be fine, especially for your short trip.

·
Registered
215 Posts
if the car had been stored indoor most of the time, it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
If visual inspection checks out They are fine

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
So the old internationals, we'll dig them out, fill the tires with air, cracked and all and run them on the trucks. I'm 100% you'll be safe for 10 miles on non rotted tires

·
Banned
199 Posts
If you're worried about them, why don't you just jack the car up and take the wheels off of the car and take them in to get new tires with another vehicle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome. Everyone thank you for your opinions and confidence. I went slow. Surface streets. Made it nicely to Discount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts