Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title sums it up. thought that was enough trap speed to hit 12s....so many cars run ~110 mph and do mid 12s

is it my 2.2 second 60' time ?

if I launch too hard it spins and hopps. so I leave around 3500 rpm, flooring it as clutch is grabbing (no spinning or hopping)

car runs 245/50 r16 cooper zeons / ancient (maybe oem) shocks. tires getting older (5-6 years)

thoughts on where to go next... new tires - maybe shocks and sub frame bushing kit ? enough there to make a difference ?

other secrets on getting good consistent launches ?

running out of room power wise, 56 trim billet @14psi -- sitting at max injectors / clutch can take ... but feel like im not getting the most out of it w the 60 foot time

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Those tires aren't helping you any. You should be able to get your sixty foot down to a 1.9 with a good set of nitto's or maybe even some r888's. I've never owned the toyo's but I've heard nothing but good things out of them. You definitely want to launch a little harder if you think your clutch can take it with some sticky tires and track prep. You're pretty consistent at shifting gears so I don't think that's the problem unless you're consistently granny shifting. You're probably capable of getting in the 12.9x range but to get much better, you'll probably need to upgrade your turbo to like a 6266 or something with some new technology. I'm not a turbo expert but I know the newer turbo's are making way more power than they used to with smaller turbines.
I'm a construction worker by trade and not a race car driver although I do love going to the track. The above is just my opinion and meant for suggestions only. I don't pretend to be a race car driver or super mechanic. Nobody had offered any suggestions so I thought I'd try. Good luck and keep us posted., Jay

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your power/weight and traction seem VERY similar to my old R33 Nissan Skyline GTS25t when I was running on normal street tyres. I was doing 13.3 at around 110-112mph regularly with 2.2-2.3s 60fts, then put a pair of Hoosier QTP 9.5/16s on the car and dropped down to 12.6 at roughly the same trap speed.

That was still with only a 1.9s 60ft because I was too much of a pussy to drop the tyre pressures below 18psi - I did drop them lower in one run and it launched significantly harder but then the car walked around HEAPS, like it felt dangerous so I backed out of it.... I feel like decent sticky drag tyres (maybe drag radials would have been better?) would have allowed me to improve further over the 60ft, and even more so in terms of 1/4 mile time.

Here's the detail from my 13.3: http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Skyline-Timeslip-13888.html

And from my 12.6: http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Skyline-Timeslip-19843.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts