Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
2JZA70
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now it was thought the highest amperage oem alternator for our Supras was the 100 amp auto TT alternator. Considering the high load we put on our electrical systems with multiple fuel pumps, high powered stereos, the the myriad of electrical gadgets we add to our cars we know that it is barely adequate. It seems our options have been limited to custom rewound alternators that seem to have suspect reliability, or modifying alternators from other applications to fit our cars. Fortunately I think I stumbled onto a solution! It seems that in the motherland of our coveted supra that there is an OEM 130 amp alternator that came equipped in a few models that were fitted with the JZ series engine! Sourcing this is gonna be the tricky part. I have an Email out to someone at Carson Toyota in hopes that they can give us an idea on pricing and availability. My hope is that if we can source these through a place like Carson we can avoid getting fleeced by a third party importer and get these at a reasonable cost. So for anybody that is interested please speak up in this thread so I can show them the demand is there for this. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
subscribed

·
2JZA70
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got a response! so make sure you guys speak up if this is something of interest to the community! This would be a great option for the SC300, GS300 and IS300 guys as well!

Hi Darian,

Thank you for the email, Curt’s a stand up guy……….wish we worked together for the same dealer!

Be happy to assist you, I’ll check Japan on these for availability and cost. What do you think the interest would be on these in terms of quantity?

I most likely won’t get an answer on this until next week, as soon as I do I’ll let you know

Regards,

Steve Ganz

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,731 Posts
Anyone need a tt 6 speed alternator b/c mine will be for sale soon after I get one of these..lol

·
2JZA70
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we will know price soon enough. This isn't a group buy to get this made. This is an OEM Toyota part that came on several JZ equipped models so I don't expect pricing to be outrageous. Obviously there has to be demand for it to even be worth a dealership sourcing these for us.

·
VP of anti-SSS
356 Posts
I would definitely be interested

·
Registered
552 Posts
It would be interesting to see the dyno charts of the 2 alternators. Most times a bigger alternator, puts out a little less at the idle end, but takes over as rpm is increased. I like to add up all my devises, and look for an alternator that has alot of idle type amps (since mine is a DD)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

·
10,115 Posts
SDstreetracer,

Nice work. I am definitely interested. You hooked me when you said OEM. I know Steve Ganz personally and will email him to let him know to work his magic like he did with our floor mats. Steve is very good at sourcing hard-to-get parts so, if this unit is available in quantities, I feel confident he can acquire some on our behalf. He has done some good work for me in the past. Plus, he owns a Supra as does his son (Steve's first Supra).

Ken.

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
Subscribed ...

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
About this Discussion
221 Replies
71 Participants
daviddi92
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing