Supra Forums banner

161 - 180 of 222 Posts

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Just read through the entire thread, may have missed the answer to my question, but is a alternator from a 2007 Tundra ok? I know 2007 was a body style change, just making sure before I buy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
^ Maybe. First make sure you check the part numbers. For a 2009 you will need a Tundra with the Tow Package.

Secondly the part numbers that we know work so far are: (I've personally bought both of these alts)

27060-0F040 / 130 Amp & 27060-0F050 / 150 Amp

The 2009 Tundra is listed as 27060-0F070 / 130 Amp, looks identical from the pictures to the 40/50 alt's and is also on a 2UZ engine. So it will most likely work but until someone buys it and tests it....

On our Vehicles. S = White. IG = Yellow or Black-Yellow and L = Yellow-Green

·
that twin 2jz guy
2,595 Posts
So.. Am I the first to post this.. But I just found 130amp alternator on this 03 is300 SPD. That uses 130 amp n same power plug.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
I'm finishing up this swap right now, I'm just double checking.. I don't need to replace any fuses and it's OK to reuse my supra pulley.. Right?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I didn't replace any fuse and I run tons of electricity though my car. Two electric rad fans, two auxiliary cooler fans, two big stereo amps, boost a pump, AC, etc. No problems.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
I didn't replace any fuse and I run tons of electricity though my car. Two electric rad fans, two auxiliary cooler fans, two big stereo amps, boost a pump, AC, etc. No problems.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I swapped my stock 90A alternator for the Tundra alternator. And this thread helped me up a lot.

I reused the stock pulley, since it was slightly larger(3mm larger diameter). Car drives great and no warning lights.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I ended up going with Ohio generator. 216 amp , direct fitment, (correct plug and mounting) and a good price.
THIS. I'm really surprised no one else has gone this route?!

Instead of dealing with aftermarket alternators (or even ones from other Toyotas) and worrying about fitment, fabricating bracketry, etc, why not just rebuild your OEM alternator? There are 2 companies out there I'd HIGHLY recommend:

- Startech: www.gostartech.com
- Ohio Generator: http://www.ohiogen.com/html/catalog.html

These guys are VERY well known and tried & true in the sport compact community (RX-7, MR2, etc) community, for those of us running a LOT of continuous drain on our batteries.

I just had Startech do my MR2's alternator. My OEM unit actually had burn out and completely failed. They rebuilt and rewired the entire unit for no additional charge (since they do a full rebuild anyway), and offered an optional polishing/painting/powdercoating service at the same time too!

OEM specs:
- Idle: 20amp
- Redline: 90amp

After Startech rebuild (as high output alternator):
- Idle: 90amp
- Redline: 199amp

Now, when I put the trickle charger on the MR2 after going for a drive, it shows the battery full charged in under a minute lol. Can't beat that!

OhioGen and Startech run around $365, and their warranty matches the factory/OEM warranty: 1 year/12,000 miles. You just need to supply yourself with a high output shielded battery cable with 200 amp fuse, to be on the safe side.

One of their bling alternators:

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
I just installed my alternator and I wanted to be sure I did it correctly as I am registering a little over 14v at idle with no major change during revving. Assuming this picture is from the back of the plug and that the "IG" and "S" wires are the top (the area where you depress the button to unplug the harness) I wired it into my factory harness like this. S = White. IG = Yellow or Black-Yellow and L = Yellow-Green.

Does this sound correct?

161 - 180 of 222 Posts
About this Discussion
221 Replies
71 Participants
daviddi92
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing