Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any on the board had the kit. Me and a member on the board have been talking back and forth through pm's. But he has a single kit with t-61 for $1,300. Just wondering if anyone else has used the kit? There are several people on na-t forums that have just wanted to get some of the opionions of the guys over here and see what they think. Even though I'm wanting more horsepower than a t-61 can offer it might not be a bad stepping stone to do the instal myself. Then just upgrade to a bigger turbo down the road.
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Everyone that I've seen messages or thread about says they love it. I'm sure I'll get some of the typical you get what you pay for responses. But that's expected. Just wanted to hear positive or negative things from people that have actually dealt with the kit.

·
The Good Doctor
1,884 Posts
yea i think everything has its ups and down, but i say to each their own. If it suits your needs i say go for it:)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i got mine, i love it! things fit great, and i didnt even pay what most people pay for their intercooler. i think its well worth it

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all good things I keep hearing this thing is going to get ordered pretty soon. Hockyplyer18 do you have any dyno #'s yet. I'm thinking about installing cams at the same time while I have the car down.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
T-61 kit,

I have purchased this kit from Mark at XSPOWER and all is good!!!

With the tips for installation it will be a breeze to install it. I purchased this kit with the full intention of upgrading in the future and I just don't know how you can go wrong with this kit, it's all there! Look at the dyno sheets Mark has posted,it's real.

I had a sc300 with 700+ rwhp with high dollar parts throughout the car, it was bad ass to say the least and when I was buying my supra I knew it was gonna be another ton of money to set my supra up the way my sc300 was set up.

I had planned on just running the twin set-up when I first got the car, but after the engine was delivered and I noticed how many little parts were fucked up on the twins and after priceing out all those small pieces, it added up, why throw money at somthing your gonna be getting rid of?

So I contacted Mark and purchased the t-61 kit from him, it showed up a few days later and was all quality components, the install was a breeze and the performace it produces is CRAZY for the money.

With this kit on 18.5 psi I have pulled 600's bikes and I also got to take a drive with a pack of VIPERS 6 of them and I pulled each and every one of them NO PROB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the kit dude you will love it

Greg

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love all this stuff. I was hoping I wasn't going to hear about any negative experiences. I see you have a s-afc so I'm guessing you kept the maf. Do you have any dyno numbers?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
this seems like a good kit for stock fuel setup, but if you are looking to surpass the 550rwhp level, this may not be for you. pm me if you need any help with installing the single kit or cams, id be glad to help.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to put the kit on then upgrade the fuel system and then get the cams. If I can put down 550 on pump I'll be pretty happy. That's of course with the cams, Fuel and some dyno time. I would appreciate the help I've never taken on a project this big. Mostly just stuff that takes a couple hours after work.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this seems like a good kit for stock fuel setup, but if you are looking to surpass the 550rwhp level, this may not be for you. pm me if you need any help with installing the single kit or cams, id be glad to help.
Did you do you single instal and cams? Everyplace I can save cash is great. Because I'm probably going to have stage 6 do the map-ecu and tuning if that's what I end up going with. aem is just so damn expensive.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
honestly, aem will save you money in the long run rather than getting all the piggyback, if you can afford the initial cost. yes i have done it all, single and cams, i am in the process of reassembling my shortblock as we speak

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
honestly, aem will save you money in the long run rather than getting all the piggyback, if you can afford the initial cost. yes i have done it all, single and cams, i am in the process of reassembling my shortblock as we speak
Oh well great I would appreciate the help for real. It saves sooooo much time when you have somebody that has done it before helping. How long do you think it would take to swap out the twins for the single. Could it be done in a Saturday. I could go ahead and take off the stock twins. That from what I've heard is the biggest pain in the ass.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Oh well great I would appreciate the help for real. It saves sooooo much time when you have somebody that has done it before helping. How long do you think it would take to swap out the twins for the single. Could it be done in a Saturday. I could go ahead and take off the stock twins. That from what I've heard is the biggest pain in the ass.
honestly, the hardest part by far is removing the stock twins, installing the single is CAKE! depending on the amount of tools you have, removing the stock twins alone could take you a full day, the single should go on in 1-2hrs though if you work fast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
there is actually a lot of talk about xspower (ssautochrome) on some forums that i frequent, about how unreliable xspower's turbochargers really are. i'd definitely like to see more people with 1st hand experience before throwing money at something like this.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really why is it so hard to take off the twins? Is it just hard to get to all the bolts? I'm going to have to get on mkiv and read about how to do it. I might have to hold off on the cams I just don't think I'll be able to afford to do everything at once. Probably do the single first then move from there as far as cams, fuel and ecu just have to decide which order. I've got to upgrade my clutch too before I do this because the stock one was slipping really bad. This is going to be expensive. Looking on mvpmotorsports I saw the brian crower cams are alot cheaper than the hks cams. Are 264's the best for what I'm going to be doing? Oh by the way I love you signature.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
there is actually a lot of talk about xspower (ssautochrome) on some forums that i frequent, about how unreliable xspower's turbochargers really are. i'd definitely like to see more people with 1st hand experience before throwing money at something like this.

As would I that's why I've started the thread but all I have heard was good stuff. Nobody is posting anything negative. Wish the search feature worked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
here's a post in that same thread over there

hey 98mkiv,
my turbo failed after a week and a half at 7 psi(stock compression couldn't go any higher that that boost level), is there anyway I can send it back to you to get a replacement? I realize with the aftermarket parts there is little to no warranty at times, but only a 1.5 weeks of driving 13 miles a day to work and back it shouldn't have failed. I have not even had the chance to push it as my clutch isn't broken all of the way in yet. The most bizarre thing of all was HOW it failed. It looks like 2 of the blades just snapped and a third is cracked ready to go. I talked to a mechanic and the first thing he asked me was if I had a filter which i have a hks. Then he said he had never seen anything like it but that it looked almost as if there was a soft spot in the one blade, and when it broke it hit the others causing them to fail.
Please let me know on this, this car is my daily driver and I really don't want to have a rental for very long.
Thanks,
LCpl Blinde
usmc
all in all it's not that bad of a deal it looks like. if one were to use that for starters and choose a different, more reliable turbo, you would be good to go. it doesnt seem like many people are having fitment issues, and people arent complaining about the piping being poor quality

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
the kit comes with a 90 day warranty, and mark is a great guy he'll work with you if you have problems.

to comment on the 1-2 hours on the single install, dont rush it. take your time and make sure you do things right!

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know the back of my head just keeps saying it's too good to be true. I don't get it I mean I got on mvp and the cheapest manifold I saw was $1,500 and that's more than the whole kit. There has to be a reason. I might end up holding off and just buying a phr kit like I was originally thinking about doing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts