Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lots of BMWs, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Supras, and a few others
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I want to buy this car. Has anyone ever seen it in person? Any insights at all about it? Would be a nice twin for our 9k mile black over black.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the fact that it has the original window sticker because I have my original window sticker too
That is a big plus for us as well. Out of the ten Supras we own only 3-4 have the original window stickers.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car does not look to be one that was ever involved in the community. Looks to have been owned by an older couple. I would say this is one of the best examples of an oem all original, original owner car I’ve seen with this kind of mileage in a very very long time.
I agree, don't think they were "enthusiasts." Just a couple who wanted a sports car.

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
I'm having some unexpected emotions with Supras like these. Part of me is in awe of how well preserved they are and original and stock, etc.
The other part of me is just annoyed - bitter, even. Bitter at the thought that this is basically a seed or the possibility of a Supra, and hardly a Supra in real life. It'll never be driven enough to appreciate how reliable and solid and over-engineered it is. It'll never even see the light, simple modifications that breathe so much additional excitement into the driving experience without touching the reliability at all. It'll never be enjoyed as a Supra should be.

This car will be bought by some very well-funded collector, where it'll get stuffed away into some collection and pointed at with awe every few weeks or months when they show it off.. if they choose to show it off. It might exist solely so they can make a smug comment about having a more perfect Supra in their collection than other collectors. Or just get a nice consistent stream of likes and comments in their socials to increase their IG clout or whatever it is that folks think matters these days.
They'll never drive it or really enjoy it, it'll be owned simply to be bragged about and nothing more. You could replace the entire powertrain with a meticulously detailed styrofoam mock-up and it might take months for them to notice.

But BaT will make their money and someone with the cash will pay the hefty 6 digit price tag.

I suppose my feelings about this car simply don't even matter. I'll never be in the market, I can't imagine wanting to interact with anyone that is in that market, so maybe my broke ass should just shut the fuck up and worry about my mortgage and the shitboxes I can afford.

The Supra world was so much more fun, vibrant, and exciting when people were wowed and in awe of the latest drag records, TX mile records, and HP records. Explosive amounts of competition and gains were seen in barely 10 years. It dominated everything on the street.

Back then a Supra like this wouldn't get this awe and adoration it does now... It'd get something like 'Dude, it's 100% stock? Not even BPU???!?! WTF is wrong with you?'
The Supra was the cheat code to world-beating tuning potential, something capable of running down all the expensive exotics... Now it's become that expensive exotic. I can't help but feel like something truly special is gone as a result.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm having some unexpected emotions with Supras like these. Part of me is in awe of how well preserved they are and original and stock, etc.
The other part of me is just annoyed - bitter, even. Bitter at the thought that this is basically a seed or the possibility of a Supra, and hardly a Supra in real life. It'll never be driven enough to appreciate how reliable and solid and over-engineered it is. It'll never even see the light, simple modifications that breathe so much additional excitement into the driving experience without touching the reliability at all. It'll never be enjoyed as a Supra should be.

This car will be bought by some very well-funded collector, where it'll get stuffed away into some collection and pointed at with awe every few weeks or months when they show it off.. if they choose to show it off. It might exist solely so they can make a smug comment about having a more perfect Supra in their collection than other collectors. Or just get a nice consistent stream of likes and comments in their socials to increase their IG clout or whatever it is that folks think matters these days.
They'll never drive it or really enjoy it, it'll be owned simply to be bragged about and nothing more. You could replace the entire powertrain with a meticulously detailed styrofoam mock-up and it might take months for them to notice.

But BaT will make their money and someone with the cash will pay the hefty 6 digit price tag.

I suppose my feelings about this car simply don't even matter. I'll never be in the market, I can't imagine wanting to interact with anyone that is in that market, so maybe by broke ass should just shut the fuck up and worry about my mortgage and the shitboxes I can afford.

The Supra world was so much more fun, vibrant, and exciting when people were wowed and in awe of the latest drag records, TX mile records, and HP records. Explosive amounts of competition and gains were seen in barely 10 years. It dominated everything on the street.

Back then a Supra like this wouldn't get this awe and adoration it does now... It'd get something like 'Dude, it's 100% stock? Not even BPU???!?! WTF is wrong with you?'
The Supra was the cheat code to world-beating tuning potential, something capable of running down all the expensive exotics... Now it's become that expensive exotic. I can't help but feel like something truly special is gone as a result.
I'm still over here trying to decide if I'll ever slap a turbo on mine or just leave it in the garage because YO IS THAT A SUUUUOOOPRA

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
I'm still over here trying to decide if I'll ever slap a turbo on mine or just leave it in the garage because YO IS THAT A SUUUUOOOPRA
That's another thing I miss... folks who just wondered what kind of car it was, and would be surprised when you told them it was a '90's Toyota. Now every Supra owner gets the same 'YO IS THAT A SUPRAAAA?!??!' imitation like it's funny somehow. Just makes me understand what Dave Chappelle went through when he lamented how fans would always start conversations with "I'M RICK JAMES, BITCH!"

Good to see you posting again, pham! But yes you need to properly turbo that motherfucker :D 🍺

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
That's another thing I miss... folks who just wondered what kind of car it was, and would be surprised when you told them it was a '90's Toyota. Now every Supra owner gets the same 'YO IS THAT A SUPRAAAA?!??!' imitation like it's funny somehow. Just makes me understand what Dave Chappelle went through when he lamented how fans would always start conversations with "I'M RICK JAMES, BITCH!"

Good to see you posting again, pham! But yes you need to properly turbo that motherfucker :D 🍺
Haha it’s so true. I was literally just working on my car in the driveway when a pick up truck rolled by and a dude yelled “iS tHaT a SuPrA” Like c’mon man shits old. Leave me alone 🤣

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
Haha it’s so true. I was literally just working on my car in the driveway when a pick up truck rolled by and a dude yelled “iS tHaT a SuPrA” Like c’mon man shits old. Leave me alone 🤣
I'm thinking the best response to the 'IS THAT A SUPRA?!?!?!?' is going to be a confused look and 'Um, no, it's a Mitsubishi' and just play dumb until it annoys the hell out of the guy and they fuck off.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I suppose my feelings about this car simply don't even matter. I'll never be in the market, I can't imagine wanting to interact with anyone that is in that market, so maybe my broke ass should just shut the fuck up and worry about my mortgage and the shitboxes I can afford.

There are plenty of modified examples. There is no reason to be salty when you see someone collecting one in this condition. Not sure why you feel that way.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
@Wreckless, couldn't agree more with your comments above. And, irony of ironies, with VERY few exceptions, the only reason the BaT/Mecum/B&J crowd want a MKIV Supra in the first place is because of the car's ridiculous aftermarket exploits. Notwithstanding this, even the most self-aware of these collector owners will not admit this fact to themselves, let alone others.

Ken (who is 2-weeks away from putting another 700-miles on Eau Rouge traveling to and from SIV2022)

·
Registered
392 Posts
About 10 years ago I drove mine to a Toyota dealership to get some parts and a salesman walked up and asked what kind of car that was!!! SMH. Now, everyone is screaming at me that stupid... iS [email protected] a SuPrA!

But, sign of crazy times, I'd love to have another sub-six-figure MKIV to adore. I wonder how many other little old lady MKIVs are sitting alone in a dusty garage... or Buick Regal T Type... Conquest TSi... NSX...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I also feel remorse that the original owners didn’t ever get to enjoy the car and reap the long list of non-monetary benefits gained by putting miles on the car and being part of the community. Even if the original owners were the pocket protector type, I hope the large bat revenue check goes to a charity and not some unappreciative 16 year olds inheritance to blow on some marked up new POS. I can even appreciate the 100% stock mindset but I wish it had 100k miles of smiles enjoyed.

Outside of the nice smell of new leather, I’m not impressed with Uber low mileage cars anymore. I purchased my first mkiv tt supra circa 2004, had 19k miles on it, and I put 17k miles on it in 2 years.
These cars aren’t available to be a joy for many new enthusiasts entering the game (because they are too far out of reach), they are merely monetary assets of pride for those that brag that said car has no fingerprints of use. Give me this car bone stock with 100k miles for 80k all day over 200k for 13k miles.

Hoping the new owner daily drives this thing! It would be bring me joy if it had 50k miles by the end of 2023!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also feel remorse that the original owners didn’t ever get to enjoy the car and reap the long list of non-monetary benefits gained by putting miles on the car and being part of the community. Even if the original owners were the pocket pocketer type, I hope the large bat revenue check goes to a charity and not some unappreciative 16 year olds inheritance to blow on some marked up new POS. I can even appreciate the 100% stock mindset but I wish it had 100k miles of smiles enjoyed.

Outside of the nice smell of new leather, I’m not impressed with Uber low mileage cars anymore. I purchased my first mkiv tt supra circa 2004, had 19k miles on it, and I put 17k miles on it in 2 years.
These cars aren’t available to be a joy for many new enthusiasts entering the game (because they are too far out of reach), they are merely monetary assets of pride for those that brag that said car has no fingerprints of use. Give me this car bone stock with 100k miles for 80k all day over 200k for 13k miles.

Hoping the new owner daily drives this thing! It would be bring me joy if it had 50k miles by the end of 2023!
I don’t understand that mindset. I get that the car could have been driven hard and enjoyed but anyone who pays 200k+ for a mint example can buy a driver. We have everything from a 9k mile car to 65k mile car. We drive the drivers and preserve the nice ones. If all of them were driven hard and modded we wouldn’t have any “nice” ones left. I guess there’s different ways to look at it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don’t understand that mindset. I get that the car could have been driven hard and enjoyed but anyone who pays 200k+ for a mint example can buy a driver. We have everything from a 9k mile car to 65k mile car. We drive the drivers and preserve the nice ones. If all of them were driven hard and modded we wouldn’t have any “nice” ones left. I guess there’s different ways to look at it.
If the owner also enjoys Supras for what they can be, I don't see any flaw to also holding a mint one in the wrapper. Internal motivation to own a car he loves.

It's the guy that buys the mint one just because it's desired by other collectors that is annoying. External motivation of wanting something other people want.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts