Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are 14psi on the CT12A's safe for everyday? Im currently running about 8.5psi, well thats all i can see as far as the boost gauge reads. A friend of mines came today and he has a mk3 supra with a 1jz-gte swap. He has 3" piping front to back, walbro 255lph intank fuel pump, precision FMIC, aluminum piping. Thats about it, basically similar to mines, well my intercooler sucks lol. But he has an R154, stock clutch, pp and flywheel and a MBC set at 14psi.

Now as far as im concerned, from 8psi to 14psi is a lotta fun difference to me, damnnnnnnnnn it ran way too quicker than mines lol. Dunno about weight differences in the car but i think his car is more heavy than mines.

ok now all the bla bla bla, he says he runs his boost daily and he uses the car to goto work everyday and always has some burn some gas coming home lol, but so far, i never seen his turbos smoking up till now, as far as i've know him after the swap, 8 months now.

Dont these turbos kill themselves with that much boost on a daily basis? lol

and a dumb question, how is it his car is running like about 15 times faster than mines with 14psi? Probably R154 *slaps myself*

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
The fun dont start til you hit around 16. At 8.5psi, its a boat anchor. TOTALLY different feeling in power. Almost 100hp more in the curve.

I daily drive 18psi. No probs..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I ran mine at 14psi for a good year without any problems. I then turned them up to 17psi after I had all of my single stuff.

Anything over 14psi and I would not expect them to last long.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I run mine that daily : its a daily driver : no problems yet : its not that you'll be sitting on full 14 psi of boost all the way to where you are going...

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh, damn, now my car feels like it slow, well not slow, but compared to that, its slow....awaiting my boost controller, gonna try out a 14psi on the auto until i get some $$ for my flywheel and clutch and PP for the R154 that sits home lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
14 psi here and no problems except im bored with it now lol. Damn single setup is taking forever!!I need money!

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
17-19 psi daily w/ intake/dp/exh + lots of other fun goodies. The car is a completely different animal after 16psi, trust me. Its even more fun w/ open dp, you go from 10-18psi in like .0002 seconds :D

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
the real fun dont start til you hit 16+. I have 3in DP and exhaust with no cat and straight thru muffler.. the less stress on the blades the better. A friend blew his turbos just by putting the silencer in his HKS.

My boost controller is set to 20psi, but i never hit it. To floor it on public roads is dumb. I use pedal control and always keep it around 10 max. By then you already going 80+. I admit i do some highway runs, so yeah thats when -/+18 comes in handy!

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Pete_Howard said:
VJ, you are running the STOCK Y pipe?????? DAMN

yep lol. Its tiny i know i seen one apart. I dont care to spend $$$ for one, im going single soon. I can get new turbos cheaper then a y-pipe if need be. In fact, i just sold some lol. The 3in DP killed my low end torque tho, wasnt happy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i felt noticible gains in power and torque with each of my stages of mods. even at stock exhaust and everything, it felt good. as good as my previously modded 7m anyway. i did not have a boost gauge at the time, but at stock it should have been at about 10psi. with catback and prob 2 more psi of creep it felt better. then with downpipe and test pipe and another two psi (so 14 now) made 315 to the wheels. and my last upgrade when i had stock twins was jdm mk4 injectors and map sensor, which let it safely creep all the way to 17-18 lbs. these mods took place about 6 months between eachother, and my turbos never smoked after two years of use. in fact, after taking them off (i'm going single now) i found them to be in excellent shape. zero shaft play, no leaking or burning of oil, and freely spinning. (which by the way are for sale, though i have not yet posted them in the for sale section, i need to take pics of them)

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweeeeeeeet

gonna have to get me a Y pipe upgrade...have 3" muffler system, going to the exhaust and thats it. No cat, no resonator lol.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,263 Posts
I think if you run richer you can get away with higher boost simply because of the reduced EGTS

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
From my understanding (Don't quote me on this, I could be completely wrong), typically turbo failures with the CT12As are usually due to crazy heat build-up caused by higher boost. With an open exhaust system (Especially a new y pipe), they will run cooler, and last much longer. I've heard of quite a few people running 14-17psi on them, and lasting quite a while.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
^^ thats mostly correct. turbos are meant to take heat they just dont like the heat accompanied by back pressure which really streeses the blades which in turn stresses the shaft and wheels. but all n all a really free flowing exhaust makes turbos last alot longer due to reduced stress

1 - 20 of 34 Posts