Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy come out to do an estimate for auto body paint on my 93.5 MKIV. I've removed majority of the body panels, interior, and the glass. You can see pics in my build thread https://www.supraforums.com/threads/my-pursuit-to-a-lexus-feel-the-mkiv-edition.1119501/#post-13910975

I don't know anything about how estimations for body work and paint go. However, I was assuming the job would cost between $5-7k for a better than factory or show quality paint job. Now, I'd rather put majority of that money into the ride quality and my pursuit to a somewhat newer car feel. This guy stands by his work however I haven't seen any jobs up close and I'll probably stop by his shop sometime this weekend. My question is, could show or factory quality paint be had for $5-7k? Don't get me wrong, if I had that kind of money to throw at the car just for paint I would if it gave me that "new car" feeling again. This 27 year old car deserves to be restored properly.

Is a project like this doable for a novice or intermediate hobbyist or should I leave it up to the pros? My only skillset I can bring to the table to tackle something like this is that I'm very meticulous (somewhat OCD/perfectionist) and I'm not tied to a schedule. I would also like to add another skill to my toolbox. The Supra has no big dents and a few quarter size rust spots with the only major one being the common hatch rust problem. I could cut and weld all that stuff myself. I will keep searching for a good auto body paint shop that suits my budget. However, if anyone from the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster California) area knows of or has the hook up for body and paint please let me know. Otherwise with time, I know I can make this car look like it came from the factory.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
That's what a good paint job costs these days - it's out of control. Though that does sound a little high, I would have thought $12-14k.

If you are a novice, expect your own paint job to be average at best. And it would be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work out as paint is very expensive.

You could save some money by doing your own welding (I don't recommend that), but don't do any mud work as a body shop is going to want to see the metal and fill/sand/prime it themselves if you expect them to stand by their work. The amount you'll save by welding will be minimal.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't know how many shops you have to choose from, but perhaps you could get a few more estimates. By asking around I found a guy who is retired from an auto restoration shop and does one car at a time. I disassembled the car, including removing the interior and hatch glass. He stripped to bare metal, repaired all rust, and repainted the car for $7,500. Then I did the reassembly. If you look close you can find a run or two that did not get sanded out before the clear coat, but all-in-all he did a pretty good job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a friend at a body shop. The deal to get his painter to redo mine was $7k without glass removal. I have a no body damage, but the paint job I have was an average paint job that they want to take down to the metal. If glass comes out, then he said another grand plus whatever breaks and weatherstripping.
So, take your project, add the differences from mine, and possibly add 10% IF I am getting a deal. Food for thought

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess new hatch glass seal is now available, but I was able to remove the glass while keeping the seal intact. The painter reinstalled it for me. My seal was in good shape as the car is always garaged.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
129 Posts
I painted an old 3000gt I had. I had never painted anything before. I stripped it down to bare metal, epoxy primer, fixed some minor dings, primer, block sand, paint, clear, wetsand, buff etc... It came out really well. I didn't get any runs or have to redo anything. If you take your time you can get professional results. Honestly maybe even a little better than most paint shops. It's your car so you aren't going to rush anything or cut corners to meet a deadline. I've seen a lot of professional paint jobs where people don't get full coverage in the hard to reach spots such as the inner edges of bumpers. Or they suck at masking and will get overspray on fenderliners, struts and gas tanks. Drives me nuts. I bought a Devilbliss gun for around $150. I watched some youtube videos on mixing paint and adjusting/cleaning the gun. Depending on if your color has Pearl in it the paint can be expensive. But keep in mind it has reducer/hardener mixed in so what you buy doubles in volume. Also you don't need a paint booth to get professional results. Blow the space out the day before, wet the floor, use a tac cloth in between coats. Most dust can be wetsanded out.

That being said I recently paid a friend to have my rx7 painted. It was $8500 including spraying the engine bay, glass removal and a new front windshield. I removed and reinstalled everything including the motor. I could have re-used my seals, but I bought all new for around $1200. Fortunately that was still an option.

The paint on my Supra looks OK for what it is. I'm going to have the rear bumper resprayed as it doesn't match. I'd like to give it a full paint job someday, but it's not worth it right now. If and when the heritage program allows us to buy all new oem trim seals then I'll consider having it painted. I say either do it yourself or spend the extra money to have it done right by someone who restores cars. If you try to have it done by a bodyshop that primarily does insurance fixes; you probably won't be happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,407 Posts
If you want a "show quality or better than OEM" paint job, I recommend you hire a professional, one that has the proper facilities and stands by their work. I would recommend against you doing the work yourself, given your lack of experience.

Fastfalcon's experience and skills notwithstanding, in all my years, I have never seen a DIY paint job by a novice come close to a "show or OEM" quality result. I agree with T6Rocket. I would have thought $12-$14k as well.

In my experience, obtaining an aftermarket paint job that is superior to OEM quality is very difficult to accomplish. It can be done with the right person with the right facilities, but it will not be cheap. Most do not want to pay the going rate which is why many shops capable of such work handle steady and predictable insurance work rather than argue with customers about the ultimate cost of an OEM-quality paint job.

Ken.

·
Registered
785 Posts
it depends what your definition of professional is. its not just the bugs and dust ...which your sure to get anywhere but a paint booth, its the climate control and flow of the air in the booth. your overspray is not hanging around like painting in a garage. or if outside the wind variable. if your painting in a no wind time outside, I bet its early or late in the day. right at a time when temp/humidity swings wildly (as far as the paint is concerned)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 1994 MK4, and 5 years ago I painted my car myself, However I was under direct supervision from my Brother-in-Law who is a paint and body man holding 45 years of experience. The actual painting was done by the paint person in his shop. All the labor was done pretty much by myself. The project took 2 years to complete because I could only work on the car on weekends. The total cost for me was about $2,000 because of paint materials and new glass. There was countless screws, clips and fasteners replaced, lucky I was able to rummage through the paint shop for these items. However 3 months later my car sustained $12,000+ in damages due to a hail storm I got caught in.........My insurance paid for the repaint and repairs and repaint....................probably came to well over $12,000 or more... So $12,000 to $13,000 is about right..................I pretty much only take my car to car shows and the body/paint job jumps out at everyone who sees the car, so you get what you pay for.............paint and body along with interior are monster costs in restoring a car.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OP, I admire your spirit of adventure, but there is a lot of wisdom and experience in the replies as well. You have my sympathy for the shared predicament we are in. I'd love to put the widebody and Regulus spoiler on my car, and paint it to look as good as it performs, but... I also autocross my car and have built it to see track duty as well. In my case it's really rather hard to justify a fantastic paint job, but I do love a nearly perfect old car.

Rock and a hard place I tell ya. Just don't rush things, whatever you decide to do. Quality takes time in many cases. Get recommendations, check references, do your homework! ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guess new hatch glass seal is now available, but I was able to remove the glass while keeping the seal intact. The painter reinstalled it for me. My seal was in good shape as the car is always garaged.
it is? where can i get this? Mine needs a new seal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When all said and done I paid about $16k for mine and that was with me stripping the car to a shell. The shop was upfront with their cost and said that they have to turn a lot of people away because they can't or don't want to spend the extra money for high quality paint and workmanship. They weren't cocky, just honest. I was given full access to the shop at any time on any day to check on my car and spent a lot of time there asking questions. My quote included fixing old body work, shaving license plate holes up front, shaving rear quarters for big wheels, shaving antenna and rear wiper/nozzle. It also included the removal of windshield, quarter glass, and rear glass and installing all new glass along with a flatbed service to and from the shop. I also had them paint my coil pack cover and front and rear sway bars. Lastly, I had them do a mild shave of the engine bay which required welding and new seam sealer.
78281963_548336062379782_7738953939751534592_n.jpg
72549546_430193924288873_5576873068006998016_n.jpg
75398205_732500960589338_8461661145982304256_n.jpg
75550399_1483736585110414_3357235051765956608_n.jpg
77101962_1347795842090852_1494670012240101376_n.jpg
77349838_854949334903259_2257842012331966464_n.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts