Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
A Supra: PRICELESS
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 1500 a reasonable price to swap a 2JZ GTE block on a 1JZ head? A shop in Queens, NY can do it for that price. What do you guys think?

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
sounds quite high to me!

is the 2jz out of the car?

or are they pulling it etc.

exactly what "work" are they doing?

-ian

·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
881JZ said:
Im in Queens. Which shop is this?
DRT in Woodside.

The 2JZ block is out of the car. I just picked it up last week from the machine shop.

The "work" they're doing is swapping the blocks, replacing the oil pump, installing a new timing belt since the 2JZ block is taller than the 1JZ, pilot bearing and installing a JUN chrome-molly flywheel.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Just do it yourself if you already have the engine out. If you don't have an engine crane, that may be a problem though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Drt also blows up motors left and right. I was there to see them blow up a 240 and they cracked the pistons on my friends mr2 while dyno tuning

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Do it yourself. You can start this after lunch and have it all done before dinner.

For $1500, i can build you two complete 1.5JZ's.

·
Registered
281 Posts
VJ RC51 said:
Do it yourself. You can start this after lunch and have it all done before dinner.

For $1500, i can build you two complete 1.5JZ's.

I agree! It's a pretty straight forward job. Save your money and go single while you are at it.

·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rising_sun said:
I agree! It's a pretty straight forward job. Save your money and go single while you are at it.
I went single already!!! :) . Reason for doing 1.5 JZ: spun a bearing and I got the 2JZ block dirt cheap.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
I don't do it for a living, but on the side I get about 650-700 to remove and replace it with the new fully assembled block. Washing the empty engine bay included. It's having to remove the old head and assesories and preparing them installing on to the new block that causes the increases. I like to be very careful with the assembly part and that takes time. Comebacks are never good and thank goodness, I've never had one directly related to the job at had. Only things that the customer didn't want to pay to have done, such as a new clutch, slave cylinder, waterpump. Things that are very easy to do with the motor out. Sometimes with a Intercooler piping job I might need to adjust the pipes abit as the customer forgot to tell me that his engine/tranny mounts were bad. Or the guy that says "oh yeah I forgot, sometime went I shut it off to go to the store for a few, it won't start. But when she cools down she starts right up. Now she won't start at all". Things of that nature.
Some places actually give a damn and advise you not only to increase the tab. But to save you a few dollars down the road.
But, yes this is more or less what a shop would charge for this type of labor. Check a few more places to see. I'd bet they are about the same.
Damn were was I going with this.
If you feel capable, you and a bud could maybe do it in a day or two.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts