Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Hustler
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but could not find much info on 1600cc injectors.
My question is are these things a PITA? Do you have problems with them fouling plugs, hard to start, etc etc....
Do you NEED the AEM Injector Driver?

·
The Hustler
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have one to sell me Larry? You could just throw it in the box of a million things I have bought from you guys.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Larry just installed on mine yesterday and it made a WORLD of difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

We actually have these huge crane custom cams and 1600's idling at 850rpms.

Thanks again Lar.

·
Registered
219 Posts
850rpm That’s Incredible! Chris, make a sound bite and post it. I'm sure many who are tracking the SP Stroker project want to hear what it sounds like today.

Paul

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
You do not HAVE to have one. I don't run one with my AEM and mine works perfect:)

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
WOTM said:
You do not HAVE to have one. I don't run one with my AEM and mine works perfect:)

Trust me Ryan, it makes a world of difference. Now you have to have one of the new ones made in the last month though...... the old ones did not work!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
While we're asking about 1600cc injectors, do you need a special fuel rail to work with them?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Trust me Ryan, it makes a world of difference. Now you have to have one of the new ones made in the last month though...... the old ones did not work!!
WOTM said:
The new ones may work but you don't "need" to have one.
I agree with both of you.

It is possible to get a fairly decent idle with the 1600cc's and no injector driver, but I found tuning with them is a bit stranger. I can only figure it is the response time on the injectors that cause the issues which seems to be solved with the injector driver.

·
The Hustler
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody have a Stock fuel line coming from the tank with these big injectors. I just remembered, my car still has the stock HARD fuel lines.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ok i was told just 5 min ago i need one for my car,

So my question is what in the hell does this thing do, and why now all of the sudden do we have to have it?

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
It's like an amplifier, it increases the current to the injectors which allows them to open and close faster. 1600's just dump too much fuel and the factory voltage just can open/close fast enough, the drive allows this.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
SP SC300 said:
It's like an amplifier, it increases the current to the injectors which allows them to open and close faster. 1600's just dump too much fuel and the factory voltage just can open/close fast enough, the drive allows this.
I'd add to that explanation (as I understand it - please correct me if I'm wrong) that the increased peak current level is only sent to the injector long enough to quickly open it, and then the 'normal' current level is used to hold it open for the remainder of the pulsewidth duration.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
SP SC300 said:

but the problem is not the amperage

the problem is trying to control fuel injectors at less than 1ms of time. All injectors are rated for down to 1.2ms. You can easily control injectors down to 1ms but lower than that and you start running into issues with most standalones (autronic I have seen control down to .5ms) as the time is usually not enough to energize the circuit any half way decently.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts