Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
b00bies!!!
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious seeing that I know alot of road racers on here prefer the 17 in wheel setup for roadracing but what exactly are the advantages to using 17's vs. 18's (other than the obvious weight difference). I ask because I prefer the bigger look of the 18's and have not heard any serious drawbacks to using them as opposed to the 19's and 20 inch wheel and tire combos.
 

·
www.ziptieracing.com
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
I use 18's, and have considered buying a set of 17's. The only reason I haven't is I'd have to change my brake set up. (14" brakes do not fit under 17's to the best of my knowledge. 18's theoretically provide more feel and response as the side walls are shorter. But with tire technology where it is, I don't think thats much of a factor anymore. The weight difference i think out "weighs" the advantages. But I like the look of my street 18s.

oh - and 19's and 20's suck. plus they don't make race rubber for them as far as we know.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I'm running 18"'s in front - eventually would like to squeeze 14" rotors in there.
17"s in the rear -mainly because a 315 tire is as wide as you can fit in the rear under stock body work.

Cheers,
-Darryl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Most I have talked to prefer 18s front (for big brakes, turn-in) and big 17s rear to mount 315/35-17 tires. I may change to this setup myself at some point.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,247 Posts
Yep...the setup that BLITZSUPRA mentions seems to be steadily gaining in popularity with many road racers. I definitely prefer 17's in the rear for the aforementioned 315/35/17 size, but I can certainly see the merits of an 18" front.

Steve T.
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Yep...the setup that BLITZSUPRA mentions seems to be steadily gaining in popularity with many road racers. I definitely prefer 17's in the rear for the aforementioned 315/35/17 size, but I can certainly see the merits of an 18" front.

Steve T.
No way to use 315 on 18" wheel? What about shaving the fender a little?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
94Single said:
No way to use 315 on 18" wheel? What about shaving the fender a little?
That would probably be too tall and would affect your gearing quite a bit. Even with my 295/35-18s, an indicated 125 mph on the dyno in 4th was measured at 135mph actual tire speed! ! Plus a 17" wheel of a given width is lighter than 18", less rotational mass is good. :D
 

·
b00bies!!!
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLITZSUPRA said:
Most I have talked to prefer 18s front (for big brakes, turn-in) and big 17s rear to mount 315/35-17 tires. I may change to this setup myself at some point.
Yeah that sound slike a good setup but wouldnt the 18 inch fronts and 17 inch rears look a little funky??? You know its kinda like the whole one boob is smaller than the other one on women :dunno: I guess when the time comes around to go wheel shopping I'll take a second look at my options.
 

·
www.ziptieracing.com
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
Pedro TT said:
Yeah that sound slike a good setup but wouldnt the 18 inch fronts and 17 inch rears look a little funky??? You know its kinda like the whole one boob is smaller than the other one on women :dunno: I guess when the time comes around to go wheel shopping I'll take a second look at my options.
lots of cars come from the factory with offset wheels.

it looks more like a chick with a bigger rack than ass...

:lol: sorry. off color, but you get my point...
 

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
turbomx5 said:


it looks more like a chick with a bigger rack than ass...

Which is VERY good!! :lol:

The setup you guys mention is a very good idea that I really did not think about. I would not worry too much about the appearance on the race track. I'd rather win and look funky than losing and looking normal.

-Olivier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
18" wheels and a 315mm tire is VERY possible under the stock fenders with some trimming/rolling. It will almost definetly change the gearing/speed calibration like stated above, but it's definetly possible to fit a 315 on an 18" wheel under the back of MKIV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Pedro TT said:
Yeah that sound slike a good setup but wouldnt the 18 inch fronts and 17 inch rears look a little funky??? You know its kinda like the whole one boob is smaller than the other one on women :dunno: I guess when the time comes around to go wheel shopping I'll take a second look at my options.
I have seen it several times in person with 285/35-18fr and 315/35-17 rear, I think it looks great. Very brawny, musclebound look. Anytime I see a Supra with ultra-low rear sidewalls such as 30series 19-inchers, I know he doesn't have a prayer for traction. With the substantial sidewalls on 315/35-17s, you know he should be able to hook. :cool:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,109 Posts
Also, if you get custom wheels, then they can make them with the same sized center section so that they don't look as obvious...I have seen it done and it looks fine
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
For my road race setup I went w/ 18's all around based on my tire selection. The slick/compound I wanted to run only was available in 18's.

For my street setup I run 285/30/18's and 315/35/17's w/ Rcompound Kumho's. They look fine and give me the option of larger brakes up front. Most people won't even notice the difference in wheel size.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
You don't really notice the 17s in back being smaller than the 18s in front. 17s in front don't work as well as 18s because the 275/17s are taller than the 285/30/18s. Rubbing on the fender liner becomes an issue. The shorter sidewall on the 18s helps turn-in, and the bigger sidewall on the 17s helps get power down.

Jeff
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
What rim width are you running 315/17's on ?? 11 ? 11 1/2 ? What is the widest 17 rear tire that will fit on the supra, and how much will the speedo be off by with 315 tires ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
caymandude said:
What rim width are you running 315/17's on ?? 11 ? 11 1/2 ? What is the widest 17 rear tire that will fit on the supra, and how much will the speedo be off by with 315 tires ?
11.5" And 315 is the widest you can fit on the supra under stock bodywork.

Why most people run 17"s in the rear - 315/18" tires were simply not an option a few years ago.

It does appear that some tire manufacturers (Hoosier, Michelin PSC) now have 315/30YR18 tires now... which might work a little better.

Cheers,
-Darryl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I run 315 18" in the rear and Yes I did have to make a few mods to fit it in there. but not that hard. I think the look and tire choice and big brake kit is what lead me there. The 17" rear and 18" front look funny. The set up I now have is 295 18 fr and 315 18 rr Looks good and the fenders both front and rear had to be worked to fit with out rubbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
boostleak said:
I run 315 18" in the rear and Yes I did have to make a few mods to fit it in there. but not that hard. I think the look and tire choice and big brake kit is what lead me there. The 17" rear and 18" front look funny. The set up I now have is 295 18 fr and 315 18 rr Looks good and the fenders both front and rear had to be worked to fit with out rubbing.
What height 295/xx-18 were you able to use in front? Were any modifications needed?

David
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top