Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been discussed probably a million times but I couldn't find any discussion threads. The right set of 19" rims on a Supra just looks so good but the majority of the wheels I've been looking at happen to be 26-28LB per wheel (in my budget 1k - 1.5k).

Can anyone elaborte on the ride and feel compared to 18's. I daily my car, take it for cruises, and sometime tracking (non-drag). I just don't want to diminish its driving performance, or at least not feel a difference.

some of these pics have inspired me with 19"........ SECKS!

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Maybe you got inspired to think of 19" when you saw Ken's red car with 18"...I guess that's possible.

...WHEELS/TIRES: EAU ROUGE:

The wheels are 3-piece IForged Legacys, sized 18 x 10 in front and 18 x 11 in the rear. Offsets are unknown...

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
^^^ha, i lol'd.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are no cheap+light+new 19" wheels. If you want light 19" wheels for that money you'll need to buy used, and even then you'll struggle to find something. 19" is always going to be more expensive and heavier, you can't avoid that. As for exactly how noticable an impact it is in terms of ride and perforomance, I question if most people would really notice. Infact many 18" wheel and tire packages are quite heavy too.

The other thing to remember as far as looks goes is that all those Supras have big, and in some cases aftermarket, brake kits. Nothing looks more ridiculous than large open wheels and tiny rusted 2/1 brakes. If you find some affordable wheels in suitable size, then go for it. Until then, save your money and buy something you're actually happy with.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,249 Posts
If you care about driving performance and comfort level, do not buy cheap heavy one piece cast wheels made in Bangladesh. If you want 19", save up and get a good brand name, because the last thing you would want to do is drive around on a bent rota wheel on your sports car. But in general, 19" would be heavy, for example volk te37 is one of the lightest wheels made and are about 20lb.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
That first silver one i have always loved and have been planning my MKIV for something similar. :cool:

·
97 HARD TOP
945 Posts
that first picture of the silver supra is nice as hell, only thing i dont like about it is the "dryer tubing" looking thing sticking out of the front bumper. that seems kind of a cheap thing to do on such a nice supra

what front lip is that on the first one?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,249 Posts
The bbs classics look fine on that silver one. There is a company called varrstoen in cali that makes a replica of them, not sure about fitment on our cars.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
forgestar's F14???

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
first pic is banging, love the wheels!
those are Rota's which were mostly intended for the UK market, not many made it here.

The 19" wheels I am looking at are between 1 to 1.5lbs more than the stock TT rims. At the the same time I'll be getting skinner tires so they will weigh less? so I don't think it will really make a big difference for a street Supra.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
those are Rota's which were mostly intended for the UK market, not many made it here.

The 19" wheels I am looking at are between 1 to 1.5lbs more than the stock TT rims. At the the same time I'll be getting skinner tires so they will weigh less? so I don't think it will really make a big difference for a street Supra.
That's a bold statement to imply those are Rotas. They sure dont look it and the car is not in Canada unless you can confirm otherwise because i have a few of pics of this car from all angles including the rear plate.

·
Ninja
1,826 Posts
Rotas lol. 1st car has BBS LMs, 2nd car has Work VSXX, 3rd has Racing hart C4s, 4th IForged, 5th Work VSXX, 6th HREs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll be getting skinner tires so they will weigh less? so I don't think it will really make a big difference for a street Supra.
Smaller widths do tend to weigh less, but the profile plays a part too, as does the brand and style of tire. Many low profile tires actually weigh more than those with 5% more sidewall. Don't assume. You have to actually weigh them, if the manufacturer doesn't give weight information out.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
18's or 19's, the difference in performance isn't big enough it's just your personal preference, both can perform good depending on the quality of tires you have. In terms of looks it's all your personal preferences.

I have 18's on it, My opinion on 18's is that at some angle it looks too small for the supra for example the side veiw. I figure the side view for 18's looks small because I have a deep dish rim. Other than that I'm happy with it.

there was a tread here with a poll and more people voted for 18's over 19's. Maybe more people had 18's?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I had 19" sportmax on my car when I purchased it and it felt a little sluggish for a mkiv but when I sold them and put the stock TT's on I could tell the difference in performance instantly. Better acceleration, braking and ride feel. I have been stock chrome TT's ever since. But 18's arent bad. Atleast that's what I have heard. This is a pic of the car with the sportmax

1 - 20 of 44 Posts