Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Sweet Jesus that is beautiful. Note the carbon fiber compressor housing in the first pic. That is just an amazing looking engine all by itself. That shit doesn't even need to run to impress me. How bout fitting that in an E30 M3 somehow...

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
jet864 said:
Sweet Jesus that is beautiful. Note the carbon fiber compressor housing in the first pic. That is just an amazing looking engine all by itself. That shit doesn't even need to run to impress me. How bout fitting that in an E30 M3 somehow...

James

That's just a carbon fiber shield on the compressor housing.

Also, if anyone here knows, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of mounting the TB directly to the compressor housing, rather than downstream of it? Just response/less piping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
jet864 said:
That shit doesn't even need to run to impress me.

James
You ain't kidding.... 1000+ hp out of a 1.5 liter 4 banger is enough to make me cry. Especially when my sentra gets 75 actually fwhp to the ground. :sadwavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
AQuick6 said:
That's just a carbon fiber shield on the compressor housing.

Also, if anyone here knows, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of mounting the TB directly to the compressor housing, rather than downstream of it? Just response/less piping?
Yeah I noticed that as I scrolled through the pic, my bad.

The throttle body confuses me on the turbo because that would mean it's the only throttle body unless it works in some crazy conjunction with the main throttle body on the plenum. It looks cool but honestly, I can only see it being functional if that's the only controlled intake of air for the rest of engine.

James
 

·
shotaro kaneda
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
maybe it eliminates the need for a BOV. instead of having a throttle inline with the intake manifold and having air ram into a closed throttle and flow backwards against the compressor, you close the throttle before air enters the turbo itself and eliminate compressor surge. maybe? :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see something attached to the intake manifold (3rd row down, last pic to the right) which I think is the bov. It says something like "Warning: Springs under load."
 

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
wonder how much? i bet i can fit it in a miata with a little finagling :dunno: :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
kaneda said:
maybe it eliminates the need for a BOV. instead of having a throttle inline with the intake manifold and having air ram into a closed throttle and flow backwards against the compressor, you close the throttle before air enters the turbo itself and eliminate compressor surge. maybe? :dunno:

Naw, I think there will always be a need for a compressor bypass valve. If you look at this picture, you'll see that it is mounted right on the Manifold:

(Red sign)

I think the TB on the compressor housing serves for a quicker reaction time when drawing in air. As a matter of fact, I've seen pics of wastegates mounted right on the exhaust side of a turbo before...crazy shit.
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
apm310 said:
I see something attached to the intake manifold (3rd row down, last pic to the right) which I think is the bov. It says something like "Warning: Springs under load."

Thats a pop off valve. not a BOV
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Thats a pop off valve. not a BOV

I don't think they had implemented the use of pop-off valves for regulating horsepower yet...I could be wrong though. Does anyone know when they started to use them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
What's just as impressive to me is that the '04 Formula 1 3.0L V-10s were making up to 1000 BHP-----NA! :eek: That and they rev to 19,500 rpm in about 0 seconds. :bigthumb:
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top