Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting a 1983 supra for $300 it is in good condition. It will be my first car and I will have about a month until I get my permit and about 6 months after that until I have to get my license and pay insurance. So in those roughly..7 months what kind of mods should I do assuming I get a job?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd fix up all the little bits and pieces that will need fixing. With a bit of effort and not too many dollars I'm sure at the end of 7 months you could have a mk2 worth over twice what you paid for it.

If you really want to do some mods, get the suspension upgraded and then the brakes. Then once you are used to driving it, start modding for performance. Get a garney intake pipe, open element filter and a nice 2.25-2.5" exhaust, and a cold air intake. Then enjoy the car.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible to use the head from an mk3 on the mk2? If so would I be able to put an mk3 head on and use the mk3 turbo? Instead of payin to have the whole mk3 turbo engine. Or could i find a company to custom make turbo??If I could use the mk2 engine then could I bore it to a 4.0 like I've previously heard mentioned? What would be the down side to a turboed 4.0?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YoungNStupid83 said:
Is it possible to use the head from an mk3 on the mk2? If so would I be able to put an mk3 head on and use the mk3 turbo? Instead of payin to have the whole mk3 turbo engine. Or could i find a company to custom make turbo??If I could use the mk2 engine then could I bore it to a 4.0 like I've previously heard mentioned? What would be the down side to a turboed 4.0?
I doubt that you can use the head. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure. The mkIII had a 7m-ge or a 7m-gte. Both of which were a 24 valve 3.0. Your 5m-ge has 18 valves and is a 2.8. They are also shaped differently. There are Turbos and intercoolers that you can get to fit your 83.

A little history, Ignoring the mk1, the mk2 fist came out in 82, it had a 2.8 liter 5m-ge. The body style as the same through 1985, then the 86.5 came out. New body style, new engine. This was the 24 valve 3.0 liter 7m-ge. Now available was also the 7m-gte which had somewhere around 275 HP stock. This was the MK3. Then in 1993.5, the MK4 was introduced. Some of them came with the 7m-ge out of the factory, but the big assed Twin turbos had the 2JL-gte.

Line from fast and furious "A 2JL, NO SHIT!! With about $11,000, this will desimate all."

My suggestion, make sure all the seals are good, do a compression check, change all your fluids, brake pads (rotors and bearings if nessesary), check all lights, check for oil leaks and radiator leaks, make sure all your hoses are good.
Fuel injection cleaner is good, and ONLY run your baby with PREMIUM!!!!!

This will give you a smooth running car.
Some notes, a replacement hatch is REALLY hard to find. If your isn't rusted, then you should send it to me.

Other cheap upgrades, intake, exaust(w/headers), plugs and wires, pull the A/C. Cut the cat too........but don't tell them I told you so.

Also, the Stock stereo sucks goat ass.

Have fun kid, try not to kill yourself. I've had mine for about a year and a half, and I've had to fix almost everything, so if you have any questions, someone here will have an answer or find someone who can.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
:bthumb:

YoungNStupid83 said:
You can use the 5m head on a 7m block. Mike L. has done this conversion - 5/7gte as he calls it. As for the 7mge (N/A) head on the 5m block, no clue but it should work. The 7mgte head would harder swap than 7mge because of the CPS and electronics. Just speculation... However, you will not be able to bore the M block out anymore as it's cylinder walls are pretty thin. The quick and dirty route would be to turbo the 5m. :p

Here's a few usefull links:

5m turbo
http://www.geocities.com/aarongarney/5mgte.html

7mgte
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonic/sonic.htm

http://www.celicasupra.com/7mgte/Intro.html

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So....I could use the 7m-ge head with 24 valves? And get the manifold from the 7m-gte? Then find a turbo as well. If I did this how much boost could the bottom end of the 5m withstand??? And what would reliablity issues be like if i turbo it and have it slightly overbored? I hear the 5m can be bored to 4.0? Am I correct? Thanks for everything guys ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
YoungNStupid83 said:
So....I could use the 7m-ge head with 24 valves? And get the manifold from the 7m-gte? Then find a turbo as well. If I did this how much boost could the bottom end of the 5m withstand??? And what would reliablity issues be like if i turbo it and have it slightly overbored? I hear the 5m can be bored to 4.0? Am I correct? Thanks for everything guys ;)
You would be the first ever that I know of doing such a swap...
Becareful, it might not work!

I'd just stick with turboing the 5m. The stock 5m bottom end might with stand 500HP? Heard that number by Russ M., at least I think it was him. You will not be able to bore the 5m out anymore you can stroke it with a 7m crank.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grankor: that is the worst description of supra history ive ever heard, especially from someone with more than 400 posts.

no mk4's came with 7m motors, and its called a 2jz, not a 2jl.
and the 7m had 230 hp stock until 89, then it had 232. not 275.

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you are going to the bother of putting in a 7m head, why not put in the short block as well they are dirt cheap... and make an extra 25 horse stock, as to 7mge + turbo they are done quite often and are all right for small boost levels, if you want alot of boost just go full out 7m-gte... my opinion just install a 7m-gte
save up a little money and do it right the first time, turbo 5m's are cool but many end up regretting this aproach, as the end price of a 5mgte and 7mgte are almost the same when done correct, the only real benifit of a 5m-gte is keeping your car more stock, since i dont think this is a concern for you think about a 7m-gte
good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts