Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little back information on this car. My son and I picked it up when he was 15 and now he is 20. There are a few threads on how we brought the car back to life and have done other things. here is one. https://www.supraforums.com/threads/87-supra-part-3-paint-the-car.1109813/post-13837471

So my son got to drive the car about a year after painting it. the car has 165k on it, I think. This fall however the car started to slip in second gear.:mad::cry: thankfully he had not taken it to Ames with him. we drained the pan and there is metal in the fluid. FML Porter said. this shit is getting a little old.
what to do rebuild fine other old auto that could go out in a year, or put what I always wanted in the car a manual transmission.
the choice was pretty easy as Porter can now drive a stick. and the price to have the tranny rebuilt is more than what I think it will cost to convert the car.

I have been looking for donner car. I actually find a good candidate this week and would have been on the road to get it today but it was sold. I think the car was savible so perhaps for the best. (a little front end damage) In any case I an in search for a manual MKIII parts car for this project. I don't have to find one until May when my son is off of school. If I can find a car in my area I can buy it and let sit until spring.

I could also consider just buying the parts I need but not sure all I will need.
tranny with shifter
drive shaft
clutch pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
? is the rear support different on a manual?

In any case I will update when car is located.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
11-24 update. great news a donner car was located in the KC area and we drove an picked it up yesterday. plan is to pull the parts at some point and sell the car with the parts we remove from our car for a few hundred to recoup some cash for new clutch parts. This car had it engine spin a rod so it needs rebuilt but the car came with a aftermarket front and rear spoiler. I like the idea of fitting the front spoiler but not in favor of the rear. person had lowering springs still in the box. brand new wiper motors. Porter was glad that it had the original belly pan, our was missing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A full donor car makes the swap much easier, glad you were able to find one. What are the details on the donor; year, color, engine, etc.?

Lowering springs will make a huge difference in the appearance of the car and a pretty good difference in handling. What brand of springs are they?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts