Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Just bought a 1987 Supra for $300. 5 speed manual with sport package normally aspirated. Thought this would be a great car for the Race of Lemons which in a nutshell is a 24hour endurance race for cars that are $500 and under, race prep included!! Although safety items do not count towards the $500.

The car runs real well and has 200k on it. Were basically gonna change all the fluids, pull the interior, put a rollcage and race seat in it, brake pads, tires, etc.....

performance wise I was thinking of goin to a junkyard and pullin a turbo off of another car but it doesn't seem neccessary or easy for that matter. I think with all that weight out of the car and the smog gear pulled out it should move real nice....

Anyway we are also gonna put a new timing chain and head gasket on it.

Any other ideas or weak pints on these cars that should be addressed.

Thanks I ll keep everyone posted....

· Registered
795 Posts
Sounds like fun actually.

sell your spare parts on here and you'll recoup all the costs of the race I bet.

Slap a bigger exhaust and an intake on it. Best hp gain/ cheap mod. Maybe one of those dryer ducting cold air intakes would be nice.

Good luck with that new timing chain.

· Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Timing Chain????!? LOL

Skip the turbo - having a car that stays together is what matters in the LeMons races. Don't remove crash beams for the sake of weight reduction, either.

Just gut out all the truly unnecessary weight and have at it!

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Rip the whole heater and a/c bullshit out..from under the dash take the seats panels and anything that isn't neccessary..just don't put ur life in danger over it...then put an exhaust and intake on it..run the timing alittle advance or retarded and have fun..make sure ur headgaskets ok or u will be leaking antifreeze and overheating everywhere looking like a dumbass..haha

· I gots deep pockets cuz
1,241 Posts
Yep we have them twice a year just outside Columbia SC at the Carolina Motorsports Complex. I was trying to get a car together for the Apr race but it didn't work out. Then I met some folks who I race autocross with and they need a driver for next year so I will up and running in the race myself.

The main thing is just a good running car. Pay attention to the flaggers because not all the drivers have racing experience and you might get rearended or vice versa.

· Registered
514 Posts
damn i bought my 5 speed turbo for 400$ all it needed was to finish rebuilding the head gasket, only paid less than 100$ to get it running, do i qualify, its my daily driver lol

· Registered
6,774 Posts
Timing chain lol.

Good luck finding the old one.

You can't just throw a turbo on you know. I don't know how much experience you have with boosted cars so this might be redundant, but there is a parts list that goes along with the turbo.

I'd run the car NA personally.

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Sounds like a fun little event. Hell I'd do it just for kicks! Sounds like you are on the right track just remove all the unnecessary stuff that will weigh the car down, and get it tuned up right. Ditch the turbo idea as it is far more work that necessary for this type of event. Plus as another said, unless you build it right, the turbo version would be a huge longevity gamble for this. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

-Alex

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I would run the coolant with 25% antifreeze or less, even down to 0% if they even let you use antifreeze. It cools better without it, just doesnt have the boil protection. Also get some redline water wetter. If they dont require you to have exhaust, save money and just take the catback off, I ran a daily driver for about 2 years like that. That will save some weight and gain power. Normally I would also say save the supra but if its beat up so bad it isnt worth fixing then I say sell what parts you can to help out those that need hard to find parts, recoupe some money and go for it. They are pretty heavy too, my 90 n/a targa 5spd was 3500 lbs with about 6 gal of gas in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.