Supra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Glad to hear you still have the Supra. Forged rods are not mandatory for your hp range but I have seen most others on stock rods in the 450 to 500 hp range, some push slightly past 500 but I personally would not use factory rods around that 500+ power level.

The later style 7m crank is fully counterbalanced but the rpm redline dropped slightly in those models. The earlier style is missing the 2 and 5 cylinder counterweights but has a slightly higher rpm redline. I have dealt with both cranks and would either one in a build but I am currently using the fully counterbalanced style.

That ARZ oil pick up tube is a great alternative but the factory oil pick up tube does a great job too. I would just personally avoid those braided ss line replacements as I remember one person had his motor destroyed from that piece when it failed. I never heard of the factory metal one failing or giving anyone problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok thanks. So the stock rods will be left alone, I have 3 sets to pick and chose from anyways lol. I will end up staying with the 6M crank because the only 7M crank I have looks to be in poor condition.

Onto addressing oil pressure/temp control. I will leave that pickup tube alone because as you have said and after much more reading it seems to be not as highly recommended to replace. I am however looking to repair other weak points so here is what I have so far. New Aisan Oil Pump with an upgraded pressure relief spring and an upgraded oil cooler with 8an fittings I believe. I have been looking into changing the pressure based cooling system to a temp based system as that seems to be the path everyone chooses.
Here is what I have down so far. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/prm-111/overview/ https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/prm-1791/overview/ https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/der-25719/overview/ https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~union~for~oil~filter~90404-20173.html . So that last part I am not sure about, goes from block to adapter plate?
The system would go something like the Permacool adapter plate from block to the two threads then to the Permacool remote oil filter bracket, then to the Derale thermostat, then to the oil cooler and back. Is this a proper setup?
If so, onto my next question. -8AN or -10AN hose and fitting? I believe 1/2 NPT is the female thread all of those products use but I think the appropriate hose would be -8AN https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aer-fcv0810. Is this correct or should I go with the -10 hose? Also wondering if there is a cheaper alternative fitting from 1/2NPT male to push on lock hose -8/-10 because that connector is 10 alone on summit and I would need 10 of those to complete this system, and 2 hose to 8an fittings for the oil cooler.
What must be kept in mind is this is a budget build, aiming to get the oil system correct the first time but dont need the fancy SS and AN shit. Looking to have the car running for my grad midway through June.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's how it all wrapped up...
I got back my built bottom end from my machinist and engine builder Bob Vernon with all new seals and bearings, rods and crankshaft balanced, block decked, dipped and painted black. also got my head back decked and completely gone through as well. New Aisin oil pump shimmed with a machined spacer and spring.Got a Titan 2mm thick mhg with arp studs to mate the two and torqued in the correct pattern to 90ft lbs. Everything gone on after that point was cleaned up and painted if possible. Gates timing belt. New Aisen waterpump. Driftmotion lightweight aluminum pulley set, although the alternator pulley didnt fit. Full seal and gasket kit. Ebay G-PLUS silicone hose kit in black. 16 row G-PLUS oil cooler with -10 an lines running from a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate under the oil filter housing. 60 Trim ct-26 to top it all off.

Took me a few months to get it all together. Had a complete engine by the end of summer and dropped it in the Supra last weekend of August. Went away for school so I couldn't do anything other than work on it during the breaks and that wasn't much at all. I came back home because of covid mid March and finished school online while dumping all of my time into Supra and gf. Much frustration and time as this was my first build ever beginning at the age of 15 and am now 18. Will have owned the car 3yrs in August. Had no clue what I was jumping into with this car but sure am glad I did it. I learned so much and had a lot of fun it really was worth it. Reading SupraForums constantly, this place really helped me out basically at every obstacle, very grateful for this community we have here

Car has been running since mid April and has been driving since may 5 with only two breakdowns 2000km in. Very healthy 7mgte, pulls hard, super fun car to drive and boost is soo fun to hit. Running 91 pump gas im ready to start upgrading more. Looking into Safc2 and a boost controller as well as a wideband. More to come

Instagram is @mk3_supraa

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts