Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Wow, not to rain on your parade, but that is bad. First thing, I'd get an estimate on that repair, and based on my experience there will be massive rust elsewhere down low on the body from salt, unless you are from a warm climate coast? Pull your spare tire and have a look at the well where it sits. Others here report that's where rust gets this body as well. If the other pillar is also perforated, you are looking at an eye popping bill as I don't think there are repair panels for these roof pillars. I can also see the entire front edge of the roof is simply gone.

That's also a huge safety issue, as that roof would simply collapse in a mild rollover or a front end hit where the pillars are part of the heavy structure on a unibody.

I would not spend a dime on anything else until you have an estimate in your hand to repair what we can see, and have looked under the car around the wheel wells also.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
So the wheel wells are fully lined with plastic, and the bottom of the wheel wells are covered with plastic along with the rocker panels. So you are not looking at the metal behind the plastic with a quick look. I also see your hood edges look perforated completely through and I'd expect the rear hatch to also have suffered this fate. Check the areas around the hatch opening, and the bottoms of the doors when they're open so you can see the metal bottoms.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
So, I'd imagine your friend should look at it before you order anything because it looks to me like there will be no place to anchor/weld in another A Pillar. So he'll probably suggest the whole windshield frame/A pillars and cowl to be sure he has the parts needed. Water flows downward and if there's that much visible damage, there may be far more below it where it stays wet even longer and the concentrated crud sat, vs flowed through the hollow pillar. I'd hate for you to get an A pillar and then he opens it up and sees nothing down that hole... Clarify that with him as that would be a huge mistake.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Good, good. I got the impression you'd gotten marching orders to secure "an A pillar" from him. You are likely to need the entire windshield surround and some cowl bits, and it sounds like he's going to decide that properly. Glad to hear it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts