Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Supra 1jzgte/R154
42 Posts
That rust around the windshield is personally the worst I have ever seen in an a70, if the car stays outside I would recommend finding some form of sealing it off since almost all of your electrical connectors and anything powersource related inside the vehicle are below both corners of the windshield, a leaking windshield now can lead to a nightmare later when corrosion forms. Who knows, it could be a cause of many of your issues that you have now depending on how long it has been bad enough to possibly leak. I'm not trying to scare you out of the car in any form at all since the more a70s on the road the better, but maybe at least get a ballpark quote for that rust repair to get an idea if this shell is overall worth your time or not. Again, not trying to say ditch the car, I just know rust repair can get very expensive very quickly, especially in a complex multi seamed spot welded area such as around the windshield. The rest of the issues seem to be trivial in comparison and probably easily fixed so I wouldn't put a ton of weight to them vs the windshield personally. Welcome to the world of old supras! It's a frustrating, but ultimately super fun thing to be a part of, and the community is great.
-Corey

·
Registered
1989 Supra 1jzgte/R154
42 Posts
That would make a lot of sense that it would be causing my electrical issues. I guess the car had a small leak at the top center of the windshield before it was parked. I live somewhat near the coast, and seeing how those pillars are channeled tells me that was possibly the cause of all that rust damage. Luckily the shop I work for has a really good body shop guy that we work with that can at least quote me on that. I have yet to take him pictures but I probably will soon before I get too far into it. Would be a bummer if the shell is damaged more than its worth repairing, but then I would have an excuse to find another 88 with a body in better condition :p.
Rust is definitely something that can become out of hand very quickly, so you definitely need to weigh the pros vs cons of keeping this car vs buying another a70. These cars are 30+ years old at this point, so buying a rust free one is relatively non existent. Are there any other areas of rust on the car anywhere that you have noticed?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts