Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo (Big picture warning)

Yes i did search and did not come up with anything!

Anyways, while searching for a nice,fast, and hopefully reliable car for under 20k. After some research i found out about Lotus Turbos the SE's not the S3's. Very nice looking cars, Really good power, and another factor I really dont see them on the road, so thats a big plus. The only downside i really see that its a 17 year old car.
Well here is what it looks like but its the 215hp version the one im looking at has 280 hp, but the body is the same.

But from my research i couldn't get these questions answered. And to my forum expierence Supraforum people are the most knowledgable about praticly anything!
-How Reliable is it
-Does it respond well to mods
-If you owned one whats your opinion on it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i think the main question is why? that car will not be worth your money in any way, shape, or form. rarity is about all it has going for it. finding parts for it will be a bitch and likely expensive, and there are newer and more fun cars out there. 280 hp is a dime a dozen these days, as every mom's family sedan has it. ok, slight exaggeration, but you catch my drift. i think for the money, you can do a lot better.

and is it me, or do those leather seats resemble those vinyl imitation leather seat covers that say "nos" on them sold at pep boys.

one more thing, i just noticed it's carbed. there's another tuning hassle for you.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Well for one it sounds like a sewing machine. The v8 sounds like a box of Sony dualshock controllers hooked up to a little asian kid having epileptic seizures while playing DDR spazed out on Cheese Whiz.

I would love to sit here and post about another car I almost could have but didn't.
Instead let these people tell you;
http://www.espritfactfile.com/indexs.html

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
I just don't get these kids that post how theyre looking for a fast, reliable car for under 20K and then they post some old exotic or high maintenance vehicle likes its realistic.

And yes the interior looks like shit....by todays standards.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm wow my desicion is swayed now. And actually carbs are less a problem for me than fuel injection, or at least i dont know too much about fuel injection. I still like the looks and performance though. But as for reliablity and cost of ownership, now i know the truth about those and its not good. I'll just invest that 20k in an roth-ira.

And im not a kid GSXXXguy i'm a growing boy!!!

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Get a Porsche Carrera 4 and have 5k around incase it breaks down. Once it does (it will) it probably won't again for another good 10 years if you take care of it properly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
FunkinMunkeyGT said:
Hmmm wow my desicion is swayed now. And actually carbs are less a problem for me than fuel injection, or at least i dont know too much about fuel injection. I still like the looks and performance though. But as for reliablity and cost of ownership, now i know the truth about those and its not good. I'll just invest that 20k in an roth-ira.

And im not a kid GSXXXguy i'm a growing boy!!!
You can't invest $20k in a roth-ira kid. There's a yearly limit of how much you can invest that is significantly lower than that. :iwdumbass

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
yeah 30 -40k for an engine isnt on my list of things to replace on 15 year old car that has a Firebird steering wheel. Save your dough dough boy.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Since I've actually owned an Esprit...

In (early) 89, they were still non-intercooled and bosch fuel injected. This is basically mechanical fuel injection, but it's been used in many cars. These were not 280hp.

In mid 89, they released the SE. It sported larger wheels, different body (what you posted was the "pinched" style of 88-89), chargecooler and GM electronics. There were also some minor tweaks over the years.

If you are going to buy one, buy an SE or higher. As a general rule, the newer the generation the better. Lotus parts are not that expensive, espcecially compared with an Italian or even German. There is a list of part number references for a good bit of the engine stuff up on the LEW site.

Your experience with an Esprit is directly related to how it's previous owner kept it. Most of the time, the car is pretty solid. many of the issues stem from owners doing a half-ass job of repairing when there is a problem. Early cars had some electrical gremlins.. if you don't know about Lucas electronics, consider yourself lucky :lol:

As far as mods go, it's a single T3 turbo with a rather limited design. You can easily upgrade to a new ECU chip (SE, S4 and S4s models), modified T3 w/ downpipe, and chargecooler. Big limitation is the renault gearbox though, but you should be fine w/ the 4cyl cars. The 4cyl cars are lighter than their V8 brethren, an S4s will match a TT easily. They are quite quick, and can be a lot of fun to play with.

Most of the people in this thread wouldn't know classic if it bit them in the ass :lol:

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
yeah 30 -40k for an engine isnt on my list of things to replace on 15 year old car that has a Firebird steering wheel. Save your dough dough boy.
They didn't throw the airbag wheel on until 90 ;)

The engine's don't cost 30K....no fucking way :rofl:

·
!black
4,625 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
Well for one it sounds like a sewing machine.

The 4cyl sounds nothing like a sewing machine. It gurgles like a V8, not bitchy like a honda 2.2. The V8 has more of an exotic sound, but is muffled heavily by the twins.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
That is so subjective it is not even funny. I gave an opinion, you don't have to like it. I happen to think the car looks like one of those Lego pieces with the four dots and a slope you are supposed to use as roof shingles.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
And that car was an exotic before you were born more than likley :lol:

Like I said, class isn't going to be found in this thread. This is the age of "horsepower > everything", which is sad.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
If you would like to start a flame war go to the PM system, you weren't even born when this car was launched.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts