Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Let me start by saying, I time trail my Supra, and last weekend(which was a barn burner in West Virginia, 94° no breeze w/ a real feel of 101°) after morning and afternoon session, I had and overheated problem on way home. I didn't give engine a chance to cool down properly as session ran long, and with a 1 1/2 hour drive home, in retrospect very stupid thing to do. It didn't immediately overheat, but instead while cycling through cooling, it inched it's way higher and higher until almost in red. First time, it was spewing fluid out overflow. After cooking down, I put heater on high(not to mention, that made it almost unbearable in car, obviously no A/C used), but that kept temp in mid range rest of way home. My question is, after initial overheating, do I also have to worry about turbo oil being cooked, and if so, is this something I could check, or is this better done by certified mechanic. One more mention, my injectors and turbo have been upgraded to produce 22-25 lbs. of boost pressure. If any one can help, certainly appreciate your help. Thanks
GTsupracer

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would do a leak down test to see what is going on. the head, headgasket both don't take well to overheating. this test pressurizes the cylinders (one at a time) and records how the air leaks out. change the oil, its not hard to pull an intake pipe off and check the turbo shaft play. keeping the heat on was smart, anything to keep temps down. eventually you will want to trailer your car anyway if your going to play in these events -- I would hate to have it in my mind "don't break this is my ride home".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Madison,
Thanks for responding, haven't done any pressure testing yet, as I'm taking it to my resident mechanic next week for routine fluid changes and a general look see. I did let it idle when making it home and temps returned to normal with no apparent leakages of fluids around head. I do have a steel sleeved racing head gasket, not normal factory gasket. I was just curious if turbo oil would cook along with overheating. Let also say the overheating wasn't a total boil over, I pulled off car still idling in shade of overpass and it took maybe 2 cooling cycles of thermostat, maybe 5-8 mins. to cool back down. Radiator system will be flushed next week as well, with a check on water pump as well. I'm in process of getting trailer as we speak, as your absolutely right. I was thinking, this really s__ks, good day time trailing only to blow it up, going home. Thanks again Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts