Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 16 years old i dont know much about cars, but what i do know supras are BAD ASS and i want one, my buddy is selling this car because he just bought a Comm. edition Srt-4, He said it has a spun cam bearing, idk what i have to do to fix it or how much it will cost, id like to know if this car is worth buying and how much it will cost to fix it, the pictures below are how the car is now and what u see in the pictures is what comes with the car, if ud like to see more pictures then i can post more, thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure he meant spun rod bearing. If thats the case you will need a engine rebuild. Other than that i would prolly pay 1500 for that car.
Thanks for the reply, im not sure if its a cam bearing or a rod, its been awhile since ive talked to him about it, how much would a engine rebuild cost? :sad:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Depends on if you do it yourself or not. If you do it yourself probably around 5-600 including machine work, If you have someone else to do it, expect to pay over a grand.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i'd be all over that car for $1500.low production number car that just need's a motor.it suck's that he put hole's in a very rare interior color dashboard like that though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on if you do it yourself or not. If you do it yourself probably around 5-600 including machine work, If you have someone else to do it, expect to pay over a grand.
I sort-of plan to do it myself, my cousin works on cars and he said he would "help" which means i have to help him, but thanks for the information :bigthumb:

·
Registered
461 Posts
for 1500 and a spun rod bearing, that seems like a pretty good deal
i would go for it if you have 1-2k to spend on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for 1500 and a spun rod bearing, that seems like a pretty good deal
i would go for it if you have 1-2k to spend on it
I really dont have the money to be putting in it, but i did plan to buy it let it set and save up money to fix it, since im only a junior in high school

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
You have to remember that when you buy a supra your going to be spending a lot of money on it from time to time. As most will agree, don't skimp on the parts or else you will pay for it in the long run. This car is a money pit and unless you have lots of money laying around for the up keep you probably can't afford it or the insurance on it when you start racking up the tickets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to remember that when you buy a supra your going to be spending a lot of money on it from time to time. As most will agree, don't skimp on the parts or else you will pay for it in the long run. This car is a money pit and unless you have lots of money laying around for the up keep you probably can't afford it or the insurance on it when you start racking up the tickets.
Dam, i dont know what i should do, i have the money to buy the car right now and im sure i can save up some cash to fix it right now and i get 2k for graduating high school, which would be a year from january so im not sure what i should do, and about the speeding tickets haha i dont plan to get any and the only way my moms goign to let me get this car is if she puts one of those things that reads how fast u go :sad:

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i don't get pulled over in my supra,but i also don't look like a 16 year old kid.;)
you will be getting in some trouble with this car,i'd bet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well i guess thats true but im 19 and ive had mine since i was barley 18 and ive never once been pulled over in mine. and its not like i dont get on it everywhere i go.
but thats probly why its broken down in my driveway right now also

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i don't get pulled over in my supra,but i also don't look like a 16 year old kid.;)
you will be getting in some trouble with this car,i'd bet.
well, what sucks for me is that i live in the middle of no where pretty much, feilds everwhere around me, there arnt many cops around me haha,

EDIT: there is about a total of 3 supras in like 100 miles of where i live haha.. one of them is a mk4 and it is non turbod, so lameee haha...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was 16 when i bought mine and i didnt know what i was getting myself into. Supras are not cheap at all. When i got the car i did not know how to do much mechanically but now its 2 years later and im getting better and do my repairs myself which helps save money. I had to pick up alot of extra hours at work too keep her running. The car also got me in trouble with the police. 3 tickets and 1 written warning later i have learned my lesson and i now drive like a responsible person. The best part is since i started driving more normal the car has not had any problems in the last 8 months except the alternator that i will be replacing tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was 16 when i bought mine and i didnt know what i was getting myself into. Supras are not cheap at all. When i got the car i did not know how to do much mechanically but now its 2 years later and im getting better and do my repairs myself which helps save money. I had to pick up alot of extra hours at work too keep her running. The car also got me in trouble with the police. 3 tickets and 1 written warning later i have learned my lesson and i now drive like a responsible person. The best part is since i started driving more normal the car has not had any problems in the last 8 months except the alternator that i will be replacing tomorrow.
i mean i dont plan to be ripping in my car 24/7, cuz i want it to last lol, i mean of course every now and then ill get on it a little bit but other then that nah haha, my grandfather has a 600hp cobra and when i drive that im carefull as shit and do the speed limit, but mabey b/c its not mine :naughty:

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
it depends on what you want. you could get a used engine for ~900 or cheaper, cross your fingers and throw it in. but just remember that the car is not drivable the way it is if it has a spun bearing.

another thing that wasnt mentioned is that these motors DO NOT have cam bearings.

if the problem is indeed with one of the cam journals, if the cam is trashed its an easy fix. if its the cam journal in the head then the head is trashed and you will need a new one.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
91 should have a the toyota "T" oval on the header panel not the little red supra square. Might wanna verify the year. prodution of 91's was 3k some where as 90's were like 10k produced. There a difference in the rarity but not so much in the value.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The car looks decent, it has some useful aftermarket stuff on it besides that hideous ricer tach on the dash. I'd offer the guy a grand for it in that condition and then source yourself a jdm 7m for another grand or if you have little more money get a 1jz but that all depends on how much of this work you will be able to do yourself. Also make sure this car doesn't have excessive rust or if its been in a bad wreck. if you do decide to do this stuff yourself there is lots of people on this forum that are more than helpful when you have questions or concerns. Either way, good luck!

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,579 Posts
Dam, i dont know what i should do, i have the money to buy the car right now and im sure i can save up some cash to fix it right now and i get 2k for graduating high school, which would be a year from january so im not sure what i should do, and about the speeding tickets haha i dont plan to get any and the only way my moms goign to let me get this car is if she puts one of those things that reads how fast u go :sad:
no one does lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts