Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am taking on a new project this winter. I bought a 1992 Supra Turbo Targa with a 2JZ GE motor. I want to move the intake to the cold side, which would require me to remove or close off many systems that run with the throttle body.

I have a new intake (Pictured) and would like to know if anyone has done this before. Has anyone encountered any problems while doing it? What kind of throttle body should I buy?

I have an ECU MASTERS EMU with the PNP harness for the 7M motor.

The motor is currently running on the 7M ECU with an out of date SAFC2 Piggyback. To be honest the car runs like shit. I am ready to give it a good update. Any help with knowledge is wanted!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I installed mine a few months back, but my intake is different than yours. Is your EGR deleted?

Here's a starting point.
1. I'd start by removing all of the ugly stuff, throttle body, Y-pipe, etc.
2. It's good practice to buy a new gasket for the intake.
3. Measure the intake diameter and make sure you get the correctly sized throttle body and gasket.
4. Make sure there are mounting points for the sensors (TPS, etc.)
5. Make sure you make a new mounting point for the hood latch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed mine a few months back, but my intake is different than yours. Is your EGR deleted?

Here's a starting point.
3. Measure the intake diameter and make sure you get the correctly sized throttle body and gasket.

Thanks for the tips! I do not think the car is EGR Deleted, given how sloppy this build was for the previous owner. However I'm not sure how to tell. How are throttle bodies measured? in MM?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here's a starting point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I do not think the car is EGR Deleted, given how sloppy this build was for the previous owner. However I'm not sure how to tell. How are throttle bodies measured? in MM?
They are measured in mm. The reason I ask about your EGR is because the 4 vacuum lines on top of stock TB are removed. You'll know EGR is deleted if there are two random plates about the length of your index finger. They look like this below. One will be on the cold side rear of block, and one on the stock intake somewhere. I see you've installed the mani, looks good man. You may have to relocate the PS reservoir to make room for your new throttle body.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are measured in mm. The reason I ask about your EGR is because the 4 vacuum lines on top of stock TB are removed. You'll know EGR is deleted if there are two random plates about the length of your index finger. They look like this below. One will be on the cold side rear of block, and one on the stock intake somewhere. I see you've installed the mani, looks good man. You may have to relocate the PS reservoir to make room for your new throttle body.
View attachment 245983

Thanks! I'll have to check for those EGR plates. what do I do about the solenoids on the side of the factory throttle body that look like they control idle, etc. ? I cannot find a throttle body that has mounting points for those solenoids, and im not sure if I need them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 245983

The Solenoids I am talking about are on the bottom of the TB.

Here is a link to a correct sized throttle body, do you think it would work?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I know which ones you're talking about. It's Idle speed control and throttle position sensor.

The ISC goes into the bung on your intake mani. The TPS will plug into your throttle body (once you buy one).

The TB you sent the link for looks like it has a port for both sensors, you're going to want a TB with one port for the TPS like this: Throttle Body

Hopefully someone can fact check me. I'd do some more research before you buy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know which ones you're talking about. It's Idle speed control and throttle position sensor.

The ISC goes into the bung on your intake mani. The TPS will plug into your throttle body (once you buy one).

The TB you sent the link for looks like it has a port for both sensors, you're going to want a TB with one port for the TPS like this: Throttle Body

Hopefully someone can fact check me. I'd do some more research before you buy.
I hate to ask you to do all of my finding, but if you don't mind do you think you could find a 92MM version of what you previously linked? I cant seem to find any that have the OEM Style TPS Plug.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you say 92mm are you measuring the OD or ID of the throttle body pipe? Should be the ID, not all the way across. Manufacturers refer to the inner diameter when they sell a throttle body product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Edit: I just clicked your throttle body link above again and realized that's for an LS engine. I can't even find a 92mm TB for a 2JZ.
Ok thanks. Now the plan is to find a new Intake Manifold that will fit. Any Suggestions? I have found this:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nah, you have to tap into it to make it work and weld a bung. Since your intake is only 2mm off you could just have someone fabricate an adapter to fit a 90mm throttle body. Hoping someone else can chime in.

Or you could drop some money and get one of these. It comes with everything you need. That's what I did a while back.
Intake

·
Registered
706 Posts
If the manifold is like most other Chinese made manifolds out there the TB spacing is going to be based of the Mustang 5.0L throttle bodies.

All said and done you'd probably put more time, money, and effort into getting your manifold setup than you would to just buy the one linked by Supra_Spooler above.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the manifold is like most other Chinese made manifolds out there the TB spacing is going to be based of the Mustang 5.0L throttle bodies.

All said and done you'd probably put more time, money, and effort into getting your manifold setup than you would to just buy the one linked by Supra_Spooler above.
Thanks for the input Captain. I learned something as well lol. :unsure:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input Captain. I learned something as well lol. :unsure:
Are you running factory injectors? I worry that my First State Motorsports Fuel Rail with 560CC EVO Injectors will not mount up to any of the intakes that are like the one you linked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you running factory injectors? I worry that my First State Motorsports Fuel Rail with 560CC EVO Injectors will not mount up to any of the intakes that are like the one you linked.
Because the fuel rail is designed to go on the factory lower intake manifold, and utilizes the factory bolt hole locations

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because the fuel rail is designed to go on the factory lower intake manifold, and utilizes the factory bolt hole locations

Surely you can see my issue. Make sure you scroll down on that listing, it will show what the injector requirements are. Any Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
The intake I listed comes with a fuel rail. So, two things here regarding injectors.

1. Our motors are 2JZ-GE's at heart, so you'll need to run High-Impedence injectors.

2. Since you run higher CC's, what you can do is pick up some stock (or aftermarket) 550CC high imp. injectors off of a 13B T2 Rx7. They are plug and play for the 2JZGE as long as you have fuel management.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts