B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned previously, I finally settled on the following setup for my 92T:

Source: Alpine CDA-9835 w/BioLite display
Fronts: 6.5" Polk db650
Rears: 5.25" Polk db525
Sub/Amp: Infinity BassLink 200W 10" sub

Tonight, I got the Alpine head unit installed -- it was a bit trickier than a standard head unit, because the CDA-9835 draws sufficient power that you have to run a 10gauge wire straight to the battery terminal. I wound up running that power wire towards the passenger side, behind the glovebox, and through that little rubber grommet into the engine bay on the passenger side, through a hole I'd previously made in said grommet for the AVC-R boost controller. Then, ran the wire along the rear engine wall, then down the driver's side of the engine towards the battery. Not bad at all.

The Polks, however, were a different story. I ordered them from Crutchfield, despite their site stating that they wouldn't fit a 92T. What do they know -- if you pick a 92 Supra as your car, the ONLY speakers they show being compatible are 4" speakers. Screw that, since we all know that 91s and 92s carry the 6.5"s in the fronts, so I figured Crutchfield was mistaken and assumed that ALL Mk3s only had 4"s in the front.

Because of this, I ordered 6.5" Polk db650s for the fronts. Unpacked them, took off the door panel on the passenger side, cut the wires to the stock speaker, and started hooking up the Polk. No dice, and here's why:

The bracket didn't fit! WTF. The speaker itself fits just fine, and is the same size as the stocker. But the circumference of the bracket for the stocker speaker with the 4 screwholes in the four corners, was bigger than the circumference of the Polk's bracket with screwholes :-( :-( So there was just no way to mount the Polk at all.

Is this typical of a 6.5" aftermarket speaker? Did I just make a lousy choice, or is there some way to get this db650 attached? Seriously disappointing, especially since I've got a long road trip for Mem Day starting at 2pm tomorrow (Friday)....

Because the stock 6.5s were soldered in, I now only have a front left speaker, and the two rears. Despite that, the Alpine CDA-9835 makes it all sound really sweet -- the front left speaker in particular sounds LIGHT YEARS ahead of how it sounded with the stock 3-in-1 with stock amp. Incredible difference. I can only imagine what it'll sound like with the Polks on all 4 corners..... if I can ever find a way to get them installed....

Any ideas? How difficult is it to fabricate a joining bracket? I can align the Polk speaker so that it's screwholes are roughly where the door bracket's holes are, but the door bracket's holes are like an extra 1/4" further out in radius vs. the Polk's.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I ran into a very similar problem with my Trans Am. 6.5's are actually a little smaller than the 6.5" that come stock. Very strange, but it is fixable.

Really all you HAVE to have is 3 mounting points. Sure, 4 is better, but to get that extra point would require a LOT of work. What I did was this:

Chances are you will be able to get 2 of the holes to line up and get screws in them. Do that first. Then it should be very clear as to where you can get a 3rd spot to mount to. Whether you have to drill a new hole, or have to come up with something different, you should be able to get the 3rd. If you REALLY want a 4th, a zip tie works VERY well in this situation. I've seen professional installers do it this way when they have run into similar problems too. It's not the prettiest thing, but it functions and works and your speaker will not rattle around or shake. Good luck!

And great choice on the deck by the way I went with the 9855 and couldn't be happier. The 9835 is a VERY good deck.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
I have 91 door panels with some Boston components and I don't recall having any fitment issues. I may have (like Trent said) said screw it and used 3 holes if it didn't line up, it's hard to remember.

I can see if I can take a look for you

Kevin

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... because honestly, I don't think I was even able to line up *two* screwholes, let alone 3. Very very frustrating.

I'll see if I can go out and take a pic of it, but sounds like everyone knows exactly what the issue is. If I line up even just one hole, then all the other 3 corners are just not extended far enough, they can't reach. Zip ties could potentially work if I could actually get 2 holes lined up, but given how much a speaker vibrates, I get the feeling there'd be rattling and/or speaker performance hits.

I also thought about just supergluing the thing, but.... probably not the wisest move... :-/

Cheers,
Brian

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved!

Welp, got the Polk's installed!

Some people here may not agree with the route I went, and I wasn't confident of it either, initially. But, in the end, it's a fantastic fit, nice and tight, and sounds awesome!

There was ZERO way to get all those holes lined up, not even TWO of them, since the circumference of the circle of holes in the speaker flange was much smaller than the circumference of the circle of the 4 holes in the 92T door mount. SO....

I drilled holes perpendicularly into the plastic tube where the screwholes go, since the screwholes are not open at the back, but instead are fully enclosed by plastic. I drilled four holes, one in each corner, at a 90-degree angle into the plastic, so that the drill bit went straight into the hole slot where the front screws go. Then, I took plastic zipties, fed the tip into the newly drilled hole in the side, then fed it through and out the front hole. Then, fed the tip into the speaker flange hole, then wrapped around and tied it back on all 4 corners.

Presto!! The speaker is perfectly sealed, nice and tight, and not going ANYWHERE. The speaker is held in place entirely by zipties. Sounds bad, but it is a fantastic fit.

I took full pics of the process -- this will work great for any 6.5" speaker that is slightly smaller than the stockers re: the mounting flange, which sounds like most speakers. I'll post them this weekend so people can see how it was done --- pretty simple process, and the Polk sounds incredible!

I only have the front passenger one mounted now, since I'm leaving for the Mem Day road trip in an hour, but will probably install the other 3 speakers whilst at the g/f's parents'.

Have a great weekend, and thanks to all who advised and offered assistance...

bca

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
glad you got it sorted. too late now, but iirc 6.5t is a direct fit. they are 6.5" with a slightly oversized frame. some of them the cone is actually a tad bigger than 6.5" only thing you have to worry bout then is the depth. the polks i got were a perfect fit but so deep had to trim to fit that in there.

mods to go with mods, thats the supra way haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts