Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to redo my 92T's sound system -- at present it is just the stocker 3-in-1 CD player, with the stock amp which is shot, underneath the passenger seat. Stock speakers all around. So, two items to address:

1. I know it's sort of a lame newbie question for someone who's been with SOGI for a decade, but any thoughts comments on my prospective setup here are appreciated:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9835 with BioLite display -- ~$350
Fronts: 6-1/2" Infinity Kappa 62.5i's -- $71
Rears: 4" or 5-1/4" Infinity Kappa 42.5i or 52.5i's -- $71
Bass/Sub: Infinity BassLink (or BassLink T) -- $244 for basslink

Parts combined, looking at just a hair over $700 for the whole setup, which seems pretty damn reasonable.

Has anyone ever put the Basslink or Basslink T in a Mk3? Ideally you'd install a sub in the spare tyre well, but not sure if the self-contained Basslink can go there. The Basslink T DEFINITELY will not go there.

I'm leaning towards the Basslink just to keep costs down, but not sure how to mount it, where to mount it, etc. esp if it means it will be up on top of the wood hatch bottom.

Ideas?

Cheers,
bca

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
i repair that stuff and while thats a nice deck, several people complain about mp3 playback not working on that particular mech assy. other than that they have a pretty low failure rate.
infinity kappa are nice as well, but you might look into the polk mmc or db series as well. the kappas sound a bit tinny in comparison.
basslink sounds pretty decent, esp for its size and price. id stay away from the t- its a single driver w/ 2 passive radiators and overpriced for what it is. also have a pretty high failure rate and the enclosure likes to rattle. not sure what are causing the problems w/ the amp in them but ive seen caps blown straight off the board and transistors blown so bad all this is left is some carbon and 3 legs on the pcb haha.
ive heard one basslink installed in a supra and it sounded pretty decent. he had it mounted horizontal right behind the rear seat.

hth

dave

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Is it just me or do the stock rears sound really nice?

On my car, I have no front speakers, so I just get to hear the rears. I'm amazed how good they are for stock. I'd say get REAL nice fronts and use the rear just for fill.

I'm not an audio buff though, obviously.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Alpine has discontinued the 9835 for a couple reasons so I wouldn't go with that. I'd get the new 9855. That's what I use in my car now. They got rid of it for some problems they had with it along with the new model year, but moreso because of the problems.

I wouldn't run Kappas on a deck. I would only use Kappas if you are using amplifiers. They are power hungry suckers and don't do well off of deck only power. I'd do what was already said and do Reference components up front. Components are 10 times better than just the coaxial speakers, especially in the Supra. Have those in the front, put the reference in the rear as well along with that new Alpine 9855 (which is freakin SHWEET by the way) and you'll be good to go.

If you plan on putting more power to them down the line, then go ahead and do the Kappas, but only components. Just be really careful on the deck not to mess them up. You can blow speakers with too little power much easier than you can with too much power.

·
Racing is Living
1,012 Posts
Don't listen to Trent he doesn't even own a Supra anymore!! Just cheap LS1 power! HA!!HA!!
I just put a system in my car, I listened to the 9835 but liked the Pioneer 860mp alot better!! It's alot more user friendly! I have 6.5" alpine type R components in the front with the tweeter mounted above the speaker by the locks. In the rears in the seats I put 5.25" alpine type R components and disconnected the rears in the hatch. I added a 10" Type R DVC sub!! I have PPI(|Prescion Power AMP) the 800.5, 800watt amp, 100 to all the speakers and 400 to the sub, I have the digital cap and all monster cables hooking up everything!!

I sell the Infinity Bass Link and it sucks!! I work at Ultimate Electronics and get to play with it all!! I like the Alpine Speakers but not the Head units!! If you buy the Kappa's and just the head unit you're going to blow the kappa's. I'd do the the refrences or just suck it up and buy a real sub and get an amp!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have the CDA-9833 and I like it plenty, the only problem with MP3s is that you have to burn them as data and not as MP3 music, I still have not figured this out tho, or what the difference is.

As for running the Kappas off of HU power I really do not see how that would be a problem, jsut do not turn it up to the point where they are starting to distort.

I would try to stay away from the self powered subwoofer though.

I would consider getting a pair of S600a or s from ebay for $300, getting the kappas for rear fill and putting a 2x150rms amp to those, and forget all about the sub.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I have a basslink in my mk3.. doesnt sound too bad.. Not the same sound you get from a couple 10's or 12's in a huge box, but it goes louder and lower that most of the self contained subs I have heard.. It does not fit very well in the back of the car though.. It almost has to go on top of the wood deck as it is too tall to sit in the tire well and the mounts dont lend themselves nicely to the back of the mk3.. The advantage to this unit it it is very light and spares you from having to mount amps and speaker boxes in the back.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
Yeah, I have all JL stuff, two 12in w3's and a JL 250watt amp in a custom enclousure, with Boston Aquistics all aroud.... sounds fabulous.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the stock speaker setup of a 92 is much better sounding than any other stock stereo i have heard. i haven't felt the need to upgrade them, and with some subs to add the lows it sounds great.

·
Supras are never 'done'
601 Posts
I ran the Infinity Reference 6000cs components for a while. They have decent midbass but the treble is very lacking in detail. I upgraded them to a set of CDT HD-62's and the difference is night and day. If you're on more of a budget, the CDT CL-62's would be a great choice too. I am currently running the Alpine CDA-9815, which is essentially the same as the 9835 except for the display. I love it. I haven't seen the new 9855's in person yet, but they look like a good choice as well. I've installed a couple Pioneer 860's, and for the money they can't be beat. If it wasn't for the Alpine iPod controller, I'd probably be using one myself.

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MattOneDime --- where have you put your Basslink? Is it just sitting loose in the hatch area on the carpet? If you take your targa off and stow it in the hatch, where do you move the Basslink to?

That's the real question here, because as you mentioned, it's too tall to fit in the spare tyre well without cutting a square hole in the hatch wood bottom for it to poke up through....

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Mine is mounted directly behind the rear seat to the metal of the car.. I removed the little black metal bracket that holds the rear deck.. I dont have the rear deck anymore and my car is a hardtop. With the sub sitting all the way down on the flat sruface behind the seat it is almost as tall as the rear seats... So if it was on the carpet mounted against the rear seat, the cargo cover would not fit.. Like I said, its dimensions are just a little off for the MK3.

·
Racing is Living
1,012 Posts
I've seen many people put the kappa's without putting them on a amp and just running on the deck and blowing the speakers in just weeks after installing them. If you don't want the amp go with the references you'll be fine!! But the bass link does SUCK!! I have a sealed box with a Type R 10 with 400rms watts going directly to it and it sounds awesome!!
It's just the fact that MK3 people are always trying to get out of everything the cheap way!!!! Get an amp and a box you'll have a kick ass amp!! Call Infinity and ask them how many problems they've had with the Bass Link and ask them if you can run kappa's off a deck and see what they tell you!!

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm.... you're pretty strong on the Kappas not being run off the deck.... even the CDA-9835, 60W per channel?

Yeah, i suppose you could say I'm cheaping out, I wouldn't deny that. But..... $703 total (in parts) for those 4 Kappas, the 9835 source, and the basslink. That's VERY manageable.

My original limit was $800-850..... would you say that following your suggestion is possible, given that price limit (again, parts only)?

I'm entirely open to other ideas, but thus far I've found that as soon as you go separate amp and sub, esp. a multi-channel amp driving the speakers as well, that you are A) jacking up the price north of $1,000.... and B) you're dealing with building your own custom sub box and enclosure :-( I'm not keen on having to do too much wood/MDF/fibreglass work.

bca

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If you want to hear what a big difference Kappa Components are on amplified power, I'm in Austin. You can come listen to it both in my Trans Am as well as my little brothers Supra.

The Kappas WILL blow if you keep them on the stock deck for long. I worked with rcdsupra at Ultimate and heard of it happening many times. Get the reference if you want the stock deck.

60w off that deck is bull shit, plain and simple. That's just max power. That means at some point for even a thousandth of a second it was able to hit that. Take 60w peak of deck power and put it up against 60w of amplified power and see what happens.

If you are dead set on not going with separate amps, subs, boxes, etc. go with Reference components and reference coaxials in back.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
Trent said:

The Kappas WILL blow if you keep them on the stock deck for long. I worked with rcdsupra at Ultimate and heard of it happening many times. Get the reference if you want the stock deck.

what are you talkin bout? power has nothing to do with blowing speakers, esp if you underpower them. thats like saying im gonna blow up my t61 if i only run 10psi.
distortion kills speakers, so if you are saying you underpower then and then crank it up so much it distorts then i will agree with you. just the way you make it sound if you dont put enough power to them they will blow and thats bs.

while i agree a seperate sub in the right size enclousre w/ the right amp and running components w/ its own amp would be ideal, thats a lot more money. what he has in mind for upgrades will blow away the stock setup as far as sound quality, but no he wont be winning any competitions or knocking over any trash cans.

sure there are better options out there, it just depends on what you want to pay. its like going from a stock ct to an upgrade ct. its a lot more power than what you had for a modest amount of money vs going all out on a GT turbo.

take it fwiw

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Insofar as blowing the Kappas with a stock deck..... I was looking at this site here, referenced as a sticky in the Audio forum:

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

I'm a bit confused as to how the Kappas could blow on an Alpine CDA-9835. I could see the sound quality being more "forced" or "strained" than with a beefier amp, but can't see how they could be damaged unless the power output of the Alpine was rated higher than what the Kappas could support.

I'm in Austin too (Round Rock, to be exact), so hearing that setup would actually not be a bad idea. You're definitely right about the 60W being peak, i think the RMS was rated as 24-26W. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a separate 5-channel amp running the show, but I think the cost would be prohibitive, since I would likely be thusly paying for an install job. The local shops around here were quoting me $400 just to fabricate an enclosure and install the subwoofer ALONE. The price of the whole setup, with install, was roughly $2,000.

I'm still very open to something other than the 4 Kappas, the 9835, and the Basslink.... and i'm willing to go up another $100-150 to a total of $850 maybe... but haven't yet seen anything that I could install that would fit under that cap.

The new problem, it seems, is mounting the basslink in my targa'd 92 :-( Seems to be a rock and a hard place, this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts