Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So i owned a 93 toyota supra for 6 1/2 years, sold it in February 2015, and bought it back in May of this year.

Now if anyone has experience with buying back a vehicle, i'm sure you understand that it takes a little time to work out the kinks from the person who "rented" your vehicle (lol), which is what i'm running into.

I bought it back with a busted v160. It wasn't too big of a deal, a couple roll pins fell out, so when the box was taken apart they found worn down synchros and whatnot. Because parts are becoming more difficult to find and are becoming discontinued, we decided to do a full rebuild. New gears, outer/inner synchros, sliders, etc.

So we put the trans back in last week and the car started up great, no problems. I drove about 20 miles, stopped to get food, then it wouldn't go in gear. Turns out the clutch/pressure plate hub has broken on the smaller lip, so i ordered a new one with new rings and clips from driftmotion. We put it in last night, greased up everything that needed it, and put the trans back in the car. After torquing everything up, we tried to spin the clutch and it wouldn't spin. We decided that we weren't going to take a chance on it and just kept it on the stands and called it a night.

Now i'm not sure what the issue is. As i'm sure you know, the clutch assembly should be able to spin, but it's not. It's an RPS 6-puck sprung clutch with stock flywheel (machined about 500 miles ago, apparently), and RPS pressure plate with about 32k miles on it. Visibly, nothing seems to be warped, so i don't know what it could be. I'm picking up a flywheel from a buddy tomorrow just in case that could be it, but otherwise we're kind of stuck.

Sorry for the long read, but i feel the backstory is important. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TL;DR: recently rebuilt v160. has an RPS 6 puck clutch, RPS pressure plate, and stock flywheel allegedly recently machined. had to replace the clutch/pressure plate hub. once we torqued it up, the clutch won't spin. help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can resurface the V160 flywheel? I was told you cannot. I am asking as I am not sure.
hm i'm not sure. It would be nice to get someone's input on that. lol

I picked another flywheel up from a buddy of mine in hopes that is all it is. Going to put it in tonight.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Ive had the oem flywheels dry turned in the past with no ill effects. Put 50k mIles on a turned oem flywheel on a previous car with no issues. Wet turning can increase the likely hood of the ground material sticking inbetween the damper and causing premature failure. Where as dry turned they can be cleaned out well with compressed air.

I'm not professing this as gospel but just based on my experiences.

To OP, hard to tell what's causing as there's alot of moving parts (variables to what's been done)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had the oem flywheels dry turned in the past with no ill effects. Put 50k mIles on a turned oem flywheel on a previous car with no issues. Wet turning can increase the likely hood of the ground material sticking inbetween the damper and causing premature failure. Where as dry turned they can be cleaned out well with compressed air.

I'm not professing this as gospel but just based on my experiences.

To OP, hard to tell what's causing as there's alot of moving parts (variables to what's been done)
Thanks for the input!

I'm hoping it's the flywheel, i just figured it was worth seeing if anyone else had any potential ideas, just in case i put this other one in and it's still doing the same shit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts