Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for the potentially big pictures. I don't forum as much as i used to)

So i figured it was worth creating a thread on this.

In 2008 I bought a non turbo/5 speed mkiv with 67k miles.

In 2011, i was fed up and decided to do a GTE/V160 swap with some bolt ons and coilovers. Also other minor stuff like 98 headlights and probably some other things i don't remember.

In 2012, i got tired of those ugly ass wheels

I also got tired of the NA brakes in 2013

I did some other stuff to it over time. RMM front lip, BC 264 cams, went through a couple sets of twins, etc.

then i got tired of the stock twins

I loved the car on the Precision 6266. It was on a conservative tune, so it made sub-450whp.

The car also got kind of famous on the interwebs

But then, unfortunately, i got tired of the car. I wasn't in the BEST position career wise, and decided i wanted something newer and "nicer". So February 2015, i sold it.

(first and last day of ownership)

So i bought a CTSV

and a motorcycle

Then i sold the CTSV and bought a focus ST. Then i bought a house. I fucking hated the Focus ST. So much. But at least i still had the bike, right? Right?

In the end, as hard as i tried, nothing could replace it. I loved that car, went through hell and back 3 times with it, and i missed everything about it. So i decided, i'm going to buy another one. So i sold the bike and bought an '02 Ford Ranger to daily. (i don't care enough about it to post a picture)

Then i sold the focus.

When i get a phone call

"hey are you looking for another supra?"
"Yup, sure am."
"want to buy yours back?"

*uncontrollably freaks out*

Turns out the kid broke the v160. The damage wasn't really bad, but when the box was taken apart, worn out gears and synchros everywhere. Turns out, he couldn't really afford to fix it either.

So, we made a deal, and in May 2016, it was mine again

I found multiple changes and various things wrong with it. Trim pieces missing, he painted the FMIC black (did NOT like that), hail damage spots, paint chipping, the sound system was basically liquidated, and various other things.

After months of sourcing discontinued parts and whatnot, it was all done. On 7/28/16, i picked up my fully rebuild V160

So on 7/29, we got started on everything.

This is when we found more problems. A differential ear mount bolt was missing, the sway bar was upside down, a wheel stud was melted and basically fused to the wheel (no idea how the hell that happened), power steering pump was whining (turns out it just didn't have any fluid. lol). But we made it work, we got the trans in, oil changed, and fixed what we could.

(btw this was all done by DLT performance north of Dallas, TX. I'm really good at watching and handing tools)

The car was alive! (no video, sorry)
It sounded as awesome as i remembered, and i was smiling ear to ear.

So we took it for a drive, part ways, and i head home. I decided to stop by whataburger because it was 11pm and i was hungry as hell. When i got back in my car, it wouldnt go into gear. Turns out, the clutch and pressure plate hub just, um, broke. So after 20 miles of driving it, i had to get a tow home.

And that's where we're at! lol. Have a new clutch and pressure plate hub on the way, and hopefully get the car back on the road this weekend. I figured that regardless of it's current state, it was worth doing a bit of a write-up on it.

These cars have a funny way of grabbing your heart strings and never letting go. When someone is selling their supra and another guy goes "you'll be back", they're not kidding.

Thanks for reading!

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
Awesome story (minus the latest hiccup) and glad to see you are back in your old Supra! Another confirmation of why I do not want to ever sell my 6 speed car unless I can't put food on the table for my family or a roof over their head...

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
Nice! Good to see that it worked out for you in the long run. With the way the current market is, you really lucked out getting her back.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome story (minus the latest hiccup) and glad to see you are back in your old Supra! Another confirmation of why I do not want to ever sell my 6 speed car unless I can't put food on the table for my family or a roof over their head...
Yeah i was pretty depressed when i got home and the first part of yesterday, but it's no big deal. Just sucks that a little $40 part is keeping me from driving it. At least it still runs, so now i get to sit in it and cry.

But yeah, don't ever do it. Unless someone gives you a really stupid price. I'm not impervious to being bought out. Haha
Nice! Good to see that it worked out for you in the long run. With the way the current market is, you really lucked out getting her back.
Yeah i'm pretty lucky, especially to be able to get all the sentiment back.
It still smells the same as it did July 10th, 2008. It's weird.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome story! Loved the historical journey you have had with this car. I just picked up a hardtop 6-speed single turbo a couple of months ago and can't imagine ever selling after the struggle to find one. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome story! Loved the historical journey you have had with this car. I just picked up a hardtop 6-speed single turbo a couple of months ago and can't imagine ever selling after the struggle to find one. Thanks for sharing
Well i'm happy i could provide reassurance to so many people. Haha

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Great story. Plenty of good times ahead :). Welcome back (as if you were ever truly gone)!

Ken.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Congrats on the story and the journey. This is how we learn lessons sometimes, but not all end happily!
I plan to keep mine forever - my kids will have to decide what to do with it when I am gone (assuming I don't "take it with me").
BTW - great color and year!

Edit - BTW - I am glad you saved the car. That kid was destroying it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there anybody out there selling there Mk4 Supra?? I want a 1997 but anything between 1993-1997. I want it 6speed if possible or 5 could work, let's see what happens. I'm been looking for my dream car!!

·
Banned
31 Posts
Is there anybody out there selling there Mk4 Supra?? I want a 1997 but anything between 1993-1997. I want it 6speed if possible or 5 could work, let's see what happens. I'm been looking for my dream car!!
Look here in the classifieds, autotrader, and get the craigslist app on your phone and make a search for the word supra in each major city that youre willing to travel to

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
Great story, glad you rescued your baby back and are putting things right. I have previous history with mine, so I know the sentimental attachment.

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
656 Posts
Good to see you got your old Supra back! Even though not in the condition you sold her in..but still you got her back :). When I was looking to get back into a Supra, my first preference was to buy my old one back, but I ended up getting a different one [No disappointments whatsoever]

Enjoy your new/old Supra

p.s Chris [House_of_senate] - I would still buy my old one back if you ready to sell! ;)

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,368 Posts
Welcome back brother!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful car, I like the fact that you got a second chance at owning your own car.
Me too. Not very many people are that lucky!

Great story. Plenty of good times ahead :). Welcome back (as if you were ever truly gone)!

Ken.
"You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave"
Lol!

Congrats on the story and the journey. This is how we learn lessons sometimes, but not all end happily!
I plan to keep mine forever - my kids will have to decide what to do with it when I am gone (assuming I don't "take it with me").
BTW - great color and year!

Edit - BTW - I am glad you saved the car. That kid was destroying it!
i'm happy to have it back too. Just seems like the kid couldn't afford to have everything done right. Luckily i'm in a pretty awesome spot career wise, so i can afford to rescue this car.

#sorich

Feel free to start your own thread in the classified section

Great story, glad you rescued your baby back and are putting things right. I have previous history with mine, so I know the sentimental attachment.
the sentimental attachment is dangerous. haha.
Good to see you got your old Supra back! Even though not in the condition you sold her in..but still you got her back :). When I was looking to get back into a Supra, my first preference was to buy my old one back, but I ended up getting a different one [No disappointments whatsoever]

Enjoy your new/old Supra

p.s Chris [House_of_senate] - I would still buy my old one back if you ready to sell! ;)
Well i didn't sell it to him in the best shape ever, but yeah there's a lot of stuff i'm having to correct on it. Hopefully i won't have to work out too many kinks to be able to drive it/enjoy it.

Welcome back brother!
Thanks brother!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Congrats on getting the car back man. So basically all the last owner did was break the transmission and put one of those stupid fucking window wings on? Kids these days suck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
what a story and great comeback ,
lesson learned ,that why I'm enjoy it every time I'm taking her for spin
ill keep it and after ill lets my son to decide like silver supra stated

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on getting the car back man. So basically all the last owner did was break the transmission and put one of those stupid fucking window wings on? Kids these days suck.
i took that window thing off the minute i parked it in my garage. i wasted absolutely no time. lol

He also painted the intercooler black, which i fucking hated. So i spent a good amount of time getting all of it off. There's a few other things i'm needing to fix on it too. Some from when i owned it, and a lot from when he owned it.

what a story and great comeback ,
lesson learned ,that why I'm enjoy it every time I'm taking her for spin
ill keep it and after ill lets my son to decide like silver supra stated
Lesson learned for sure. Really happy to have it back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts