Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Supra jza80, 2jzge na-t build, powerglide transmission.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have been searching for the last week with no success at all on this particular subject.
I have a 1993 Supra jza80, 2jzge non vvti, 340 auto trans & its a Japanese spec rhd car.
I have removed eng, eng loom, ecu & trans.
I have purchased all the parts I need for long block build & the long block is being sent to a shop in a couple of weeks for a full 900hp capable build.
I have also had a powerglide transmission with a Dellows 2jz to glide adaptor bellhousing built to a similar hp spec.
I currently own a Haltech elite 750 ecu from a previous build that I'd like to reuse on this build.
My main question at this stage is, will I also need to keep the stock ecu to control some of the functions of the car other than the engine alone?
From my past attempts at searching for the information I found that the 340 auto requires the stock ecu to run it properly but I'm using a powerglide so I'm more concerned about things like pwr steering, AC & throwing codes or car going into limp mode ect?
Any information on how to get job done properly & any associated problems I may face carrying out conversion would be greatly appreciated.
I'm new to the Supra 2jz world but I have built a few project cars in the past which most of belonged to the Mazda rotary engine family.
Cheers,
Westy.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 1995 Supra SE (NA 2JZ-GE). The engine is completely stock so I don't know the answer to your question but I am interested. I am under the impression that the stock ECU can "learn" to compensate for the increased fuel requirements, but that might not meet the horsepower goals you have for the car.

I do know that the stock intake air flow meter (vortex type) is not the same as the twin-turbo MAF and the signals are different. NA is pulse and Turbo is analog. Their ECUs are not compatible. I don't know about the Holley ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chatters!
I guess what I really need to know is can I just run Haltech elite 750 to control engine as a whole like I've done in the past & do I have to keep stock auto ecu to run some of the cars functions such as power steering & air conditioning ect?
I've been searching for information & can't find the exact answer as some of the posts I've read conflict, for example I see some say when running a standalone you have to trick the stock ecu into believing everything is running as normal?
Also a lot of the info I've found is about stock ecu swapping (Na ecu to tt ecu) not aftermarket, modern, more commonly used ecu's today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may have stumbled across the answer to my own question when I found a stock ecu pin out diagram.
I think AC is only controlled or stopped by stock ecu when load is high on engine.
I saw nothing about pwr steering ect.
Also as I'm adding the haltech elite, I don't need to worry about the stock GE afm type as it will be gone.
Dissy will be removed to fit a decent sized turbo & I'll probably fit ign-1a coils too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My guess/suggestion is to leave the stock ECU in place but let the Haltech control the engine. Then, when you get a check engine diagnostic code, do whatever is needed to silence the code, like trick the ECU into thinking the sensor is still connected. When the code goes away, you know you got it right. I don't know the specifics of how to do this but, if I was in this situation, I would refer to the factory service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts