Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions, I just got my supra back from the paint shop. I asked them to re-shoot it with the original black. When it came back the first time, I came back with some orange peel so I sent it back. This time when I picked it up the said they had buffed it to the point that further buffing would be dangerous. Most of the orange peel was gone, only now it had this weird 3D or ghost look in the direct sunlight. The shop is completely stumped and don't know what is going on that is making it do that. And I want to make sure it comes back perfect since I paid some good money for it. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Its almost like a smuggled 3d affect of some sort and wont come out. It looks better in the shade but I can still see some buffing micro scratches as well. Not sure what to do, any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

·
Registered
63 Posts
It looks like whoever cut and polished the paint when they tried to get rid of the orange peel probably burned it. Wrong settings in the rotary buffer and a rushed job will burn the paint and leave a hologram effect.

If the paint is already too thin to be cut down further, then the only option would be sand it all the way down to bare metal and repaint it again.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
1. Post photos
2. You don't remove orange peal with just buffing
3. If the orange peal is that bad then whoever painted it doesn't know what they are doing
4. Did they spray the whole car and are already going through the paint/clear coat they sprayed?
5. If the shop is stumped at something like this they clearly have no idea what they are doing and you might wanna find a reputable shop

Posting photo will help a lot to tell if they burnt through, however you don't need to sand it all the way down to the bare metal to repaint it.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it definitely looks like the buffer trail holograms along with micro scratches that you guys are describing. How can I tell the difference between them burning through and buffer trails? I already paid them but I fee like I should demand that they re-shoot it. what do you guys thing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and one more piece of information; the guy at the shop did tell me that they had buffed it so much that they were worried about doing any more because they were afraid of burning through.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What your describing sounds like holograms, swirls, or buffer trails.

It can be fixed by polishing. Whoever is operating the polisher at the shop must be inexperienced.

Also, if they're saying the clearcoat is getting too thin to buff anymore, then it most likely doesn't have enough UV protection, which will cause the paint to fail down the road( could be a year, could be 5, we don't know).

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
This is BS because the paint is so thin now, you have no room in the future to do any polishing. They've botched the paint job and I'd fight to have it completely redone. I'm not a paint expert by any means, but I thought orange peal was corrected by wet sanding between coats, not buffing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
As mentioned above- there is no clearcoat on a black supra. Note sure the paintshop knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
319 Posts
He had the car repainted. It is most likely OEM 202 black paint code. I highly doubt the shop used single stage on it, most likely base/clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts