Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a notice in the mail last week that Toyota is issuing a recall for the driver airbag for the 97-98 Supra. I believe this part is discontinued and should create an interesting dilema for Toyota as they will be forced to reproduce these airbags in an updated form.

·
iSPOOL
1,318 Posts
I received one a couple weeks ago as well.
Yup Takata airbag.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm surprised NHTSA hasn't put out a general guidance that all Takata airbags be replaced by now. Guess that insurance formula in Fight Club is accurate.

·
Registered
790 Posts
on my gmc truck they had been sending them for 1+ year. hardly drive the truck and was just lazy on my part. well one day a 3rd party (not gm) called my cell and got me on recording "sir you are aware of the airbag safety recal ... " ..... so I felt pinched into setting it up right then on the spot. again, it was a 3rd party calling me as a reminder, and it did feel kind of fishy. anyway long story short, the 3rd party setup the appt for me and gave a $75 gift card "bounty" for completing the airbag recall. and my local dealer did it same day. best recall ever- possibly toyota has a similar arrangement whey they are aggressive trying to get the takata's out of there

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wonder about the TRD airbag and if I could walk into the dealer with my OEM wheel in hand to get it fixed.

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
This ever growing takata recall has been a major concern for me over here in NZ, as even though the JDM versions arent listed as having faulty airbags, myself, and A LOT of other supra owners have different steering wheels in our cars, due to swapping out the 4 spoke wheel for a 3 spoke version, and none of us really know the origin of the airbags we are now using in our cars.

I have spent dozens of hours reading, and trying to ascertain which airbags are at risk, but have just found myself going in circles, so I think that the only real way to be sure is to remove my airbags, along with the 8 or 9 spares I have sitting in my garage and take them to the local Toyota dealership and ask them if there is anyway to cross reference them.

The lack of labelling on them, or any kind of ID number is where I have come unstuck, but I will be sure to update this thread with any information I can find on the topic.

Until then, I actually feel like disabling my airbags, rather than run the risk of it ripping my head in half (but due to the covid19 lockdown, I cant drive it anymore, so its currently not an issue)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 97s have 4 spoke steering wheels and those are recalled. The 93-97 airbags look the same but only the 97-98 have been recalled.

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
Another thought I had about this while lying awake late at night...

Where is the info on the TRD steering wheels that were only optional extras, and were not fitted from the factory?

There are thousands of various models of Toyota's with these wheels fitted today, that will be listed as not needing a recall, but the detonators arent the same ones that the car is "known" to have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Disable them or better yet, take them out. If you want to swap the SW out, might as well consider it aftermarket. Can toss all the wiring and sensors too.

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
I think that there are a lot of people who do not wish do disable one of the major safety features of their cars, though.

For a track car, no problem, for a road car, not so much.

Toyota just need to do a cross reference check on the detonators in the TRD SW's and ensure they are safe so their customers arent putting themselves in the firing line, as it were

·
iSPOOL
1,318 Posts
It's best not to modify one of the major safety features on your car like airbags with regards to certain state and federal laws. Also you could run into issues with your insurance if your car has changed since your policy has gone into effect.

Not worth it to me. Rather have Toyota fix it and be done and know its legit.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
242 Posts
I think that there are a lot of people who do not wish do disable one of the major safety features of their cars, though.

For a track car, no problem, for a road car, not so much.

Toyota just need to do a cross reference check on the detonators in the TRD SW's and ensure they are safe so their customers arent putting themselves in the firing line, as it were
Eh, I drive an 87 Turbo. There was no air bag by design :D Safety wouldn't come until 98 haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts