Supra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice car indeed. Since this car seems to be viewed as a collector piece but is not original anymore I wonder if the transmission swap actually hurt the value of the vehicle. I am interested to see what it would sell for though.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
If your viewing it as a collector piece it would always hurt the value. If you are looking at it as a really low mileage rare color car it might not. You can't just go out and buy a low mile rsp regardless of how much your budget is, it takes months and years. Just depends how long you want to wait and if you'll be ready when the time comes. Ultimately the market will dictate the selling price, there are a couple members on here with low mile rsps that don't join the conversation for one reason or another.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the logic of a trans swap is bad, then what about a turbo swap, radiator swap, wheel swap, clutch swap etc etc? Autos sold more due to the demographic. Changing to a genuine option for the car, a manual, is the least of my concerns compared to the many non original being swapped in general to Supras.

Since I could have bough a RSP 6spd for 37k plus fees brand new in 1998. I would have to buy this one for 30k LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Tommy Banh of Autobanh Motorsports did the swap...all NEW OEM PARTS, that includes the tan colored sealant Toyota used on ALL Supras. Many people don't know this but all Supra's actually came as auto frames and were cut and modified at the factory to fit a 6-speed tunnel. I followed the same procedure.

As for value, I would be this is the cleanest Supra in the country, maybe the world...and it's an RSP...sooooooooo naw, ain't nothing hurtin the value. Good luck with the sale Vic.

Peter

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Tommy Banh of Autobanh Motorsports did the swap...all NEW OEM PARTS, that includes the tan colored sealant Toyota used on ALL Supras. Many people don't know this but all Supra's actually came as auto frames and were cut and modified at the factory to fit a 6-speed tunnel. I followed the same procedure.

As for value, I would be this is the cleanest Supra in the country, maybe the world...and it's an RSP...sooooooooo naw, ain't nothing hurtin the value. Good luck with the sale Vic.

Peter
Yes and no. Not to turn this even more off topic, but even though it's a 100% swap, the 6 speed install wasn't done by Toyota. The V160 mileage does not coincide with the original vehicle. The original door tag does not have the option code for V160.

It's all small things, but originality is usually the name of the game for the top 1%. And it's things like this that could affect the value to some potential buyers, along with the mileage, color, etc.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Victor I'm actively telling everyone I know that's in the market about this gem. Hopefully we can find it a good home.

On a side note, do you happen to know the size of the wheels and tires? From what I hear the rear fenders have not been modified from stock and those wheels/tires fit nicely.

587 Posts
did this sell?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Somebody I know told me it sold for over 180k, I think he was putting me on though....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts