Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1999 World Challenge Supra

I happen to be looking for some images and happen to find this old photo from the days when we ran World Challenge in the Supra. I had 24"x 36" posters made for the owners of the team. I took this photo at the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Behind him is the legendary Derek Bell driving the supercharged Z3 Coupé.

Thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
ahhh the good ole days ;) I remember watching Supras, or at least one Supra, regularly involved in national level competitive racing and doing damn good too.

Sorry for being dumb, but was this one you posted involved at all with Dave Schardt? I recently realized Dave is working for Forgeline in some capacity based on what Forgeline said at a local SEMA show in Ft. Washington, PA with Dave's mug plastered on their program.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Dave raced that Supra... and yes, he is involved with Forgeline - owner and president.

Regards,
James R

·
Inline for the win
4,763 Posts
And he is your boss......,too.

hah,

Had to.

DP

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Dave is working for Forgeline in some capacity

Obviously I'm even dumber than I thought ...since he's owner and president, his job there would be reasonably secure for the forseable future.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great photo, any interest in reproducing the posters? It would look great next to my Advan GT500 poster in the garage :)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Nice pics there! Wish there were more Supra's still doing some road racing. And if he has the original still (and doesnt wanna go through the hassle of producing them) you can upload it on Zazzle.com and they will make you a pretty damn good quality poster for not too much.

Alex

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,121 Posts
James, any info on the car? Motor and suspension specs and such? I've always wondered what it had under there.

·
Not Enough Grip
459 Posts
Hello James,

Do you know where to the brake ducts came from? I have a Wings West lower front lip and have been looking for brake ducts that will fit into the openings. From this picture, the ones you had look to fit perfect.

Thanks, Joshua

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The brake ducting as well as the headlight replacements were custom fabricated for us.

I'll have to find the negative. This was shot before digital cameras were on the scene.

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi James,

Where can I reach you this weekend. I would love to find out more about this car, the tracks it raced on and when, the suspension, tires and setup, etc. Can you give me a call this weekend at (818) 599-3322 cell. I would love to take my Supra to that level of racing. You can see my car in the same road racing section thread " Supra takes 4th at Willow Springs " last weekend. Give me a call or shoot me an email. Thanks!

Steven A.
Supra Racing Team

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here are the specs for the 1998 World Challenge Supra:

Engine:

Motec M48 Engine Management
Turbonetics TS04 turbo with ceramic ball bearings
Unorthodox Racing Cam Gears
Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley
GReddy S-type BOV
GReddy side mount intercooler switched to modified HKS front mount (bottom 3 rows cut and welded)
Fluidyne 4-core aluminum radiator
HKS Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold (Oringally an RPS manifold, but it ended up cracking and losing our wastegate at Michigan Grand Prix)
Custom side exit exhaust
ATL fuel cell

Transmission/Differential:

Factory Getrag 6 speed manual
HKS triple disk clutch
TRD Quaiffe differential

Suspension:

Eibach Springs
Koni double adjustable racing shocks. Check out the thread regarding suspensions. Very informative thread. (We actually had Norwood help us set up the suspension. Keep in mind when you put a rolll cage in your car, you will have tweaked the body. It will no longer be the same as factory.)
TRD anti-sway bar
TRD Strut Tower Brace
Blonde Motorsports heim joints

Brakes:

Alcon F-Type 4-piston titanium racing calipers front
These brakes are the same used in the SCCA Trans Am series.
We used the Brembo GT series without luck. Perhaps had we gone to their pro race series things might have been different. Instead we sourced a set of Alcons from Roush Racing. Custom fabricated rotor hats for the rotors.

Wheel/Tire:

Forgeline RS 17x9, 17x11
BFGoodrich G-Force 275/40ZR17, 315/35ZR17

Exterior:

Wings West Front Lip Spoiler reinforced with a steel bar underneath.
RMM Carbon Fiber Rear Wing
TRD Hood with block plate over the turbo side.
Zimmer headlight replacement shields and brake ducting.

Interior:

Momo Synthesis Racing Seat
VeilSide Shift Knob / MOMO
Momo Corse Suede Steering Wheel

Output at full boost was over 675 HP. At the time, we were restricted on how much boost we could make - pushing us back down to just under 500. They allowed us to upgrade to a single turbo just so that the series could be competitve with the Vipers who pulled away from everyone at will on the straights.

We raised money and awareness for Meals on Wheels at the time. (One of the primary charities for the Ohio meets.)

We ended up fourth in the Championship with a couple podium finishes.

Regards,
James R

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Great spec sheet James!

Any specific reason why the turbo side was blocked on the TRD hood?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi James,

That was an impressive spec sheet. Can you tell me more about the suspension and how much you lowered the car, with the tires inside the fenders. HOw much did they rub? How much negative camber, toe in, spring rates did you run front and back? What was the dry weight of the car in race mode? Did you have it fully corner balanced and what was the weight front to rear? Is the car still involved in racing now? What year were you in World Challenge and how do I get involved? As you can see I'm a sponge for information and would love to talk to you or the person involved in setting up the suspension. Did you have someone come out to the track to set it up? Give me a call when you get a chance (818) 599-3322 cell. thanks!

Steven A.
Supra Racing Team

1 - 20 of 44 Posts