Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wheel Whore
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am thinking about another daily driver to replace my 1995 corolla with 200k maintanence free miles. Most reliable car I have ever owned up until this point.

I ran accross a 1999 Red A4 with 99k miles. It is in really clean shape. No wrecks, it recently had the timing belt replaced and the transmission was replaced a little while back. It has the dove grey leather interior with no tears etc. I was really impressed with the interior creature comforts, and overall condition.

My questions are:
1. Is this the same 1.8l that the volkswagon turbos are equipped with?
2. Could you do simple turbo mods including a blow off valve, FMIC, etc...

Anyways thanks for the help. At $8k does this price seem alright?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Dont' do it. A4's of that era had horrible issues with sensors and piddly crap going bad and I think that was the same models that had control arm issues as well. A lot of A4 owners claimed to have their cars in the shop more than on the road...

·
Wheel Whore
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well an update...my girlfriend was going to close on the deal for me while I am stuck at work. She ended up buying it for herself behind my back and told me to get an S4 lol..Despite the problems A4's are known for, at the price 8k you get all wheel drive, heated seats which I hope don't melt anything, HID's, and turbo. Can't be as bad as a DSM. Although more expensice to fix...Now what should I be aware of when looking into an S4?

G

·
Most likely, the motor itself won't give you issues. Thus far on my A4 though, I've had the following:

Fried Cruise Control - $650 or so
New Left front Tie Rod
Left Front control arm
Tires eaten up before I got that fixed
Shot ignition which fried the starter
Hole worn in the Cat

However, I still love the car. It's fine getting it as long as you actually know the issues that will likely come up. Plan in for a larger single ugrade here soon.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
SupraWillis said:
Now what should I be aware of when looking into an S4?
Same issues as an A4 but with a less reliable motor. The 2.7TT motor will burn up the turbos if you decide to chip it, if you keep it stock they will last a lot longer.

G

·
The stock K03 on the A4 burns up same as those on the S4 when chipped. Those KKK turbos DO NOT respond well to increased boost. They're already running somewhere around 18psi stock and flowing about all the air they can handle.

·
Wheel Whore
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the stock psi for the A4 or S4. After driving an APU supra fpr a while, these cars feel like camrys (no offence). Also you really have to drive both the 2.8 v6 v.s. the 1.8 turbo. The power feels very similar stock to stock. The S4 had a little more "umph". I got to say after driving the gilrfriends new car tonight, I love all the modern creature comforts that I can't enjoy in my supra like the leather interior, the sunroof with it's many adjustable positions, the red dash lights, heated seats, and cold a/c. It's just a fun all around car for the money.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Whatever said:
Dont' do it. A4's of that era had horrible issues with sensors and piddly crap going bad and I think that was the same models that had control arm issues as well. A lot of A4 owners claimed to have their cars in the shop more than on the road...

this guy is right i have spen over 3k this year in my 98 a4 is a fast car but is too espinsive to fix ur fucked but enjoy

G

·
lol, did you not read my first post? I've spent a bit over a grand in non-standard maintainence since I've had the car.

G

·
Hmmm, that would explain the problem with idling when the car first starts here and there. Oh, also, my car smokes at start up here and there. Sometimes it will go a month without doing it, sometimes every few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts