Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other cars: If there can be a Supra Hardtop Registry, then why not.... (and I know some SF members have owned or knew people with 1999 Vr-4s)

Since the 1999s came out the question has been asked over and over… How many are there? How many are members on 3si? Were there only 45 ever made as so many dealerships like to advertise?

With the help of 1999 VR-4 owners past and present, both on 3si and not, I have been able to answers these questions with a greater certainty then ever before.

Current Registry Total: 99 of 287 cars

The main goal of the site is to attempt to locate, count, or register as many different 1999 VR-4s as possible. Current owners, cars listed for sale (autotrader, ebay, etc.) to a certain extent cars simply “spotted” or “sightings” or 1999 VR-4s are all counted. 1999 conversions do not count, sorry. All reported sightings are reviewed to determine accuracy before they are added to the total. With that out of the way…

www.99vr4registry.com

Please take a look around the site. We are working out a few details, so bear with us. I will post announcements, updates, and improvements here and on our forum. As you can see this site relates to everything 1999 VR-4. Without 3si.org and the support and enthusiasm of all owners, this site would not be possible. So thank you : )

If you have any questions, I am available at [email protected] or please register and post your related questions on our forum (free, but lets keep things on topic as described for each section) http://www.99vr4registry.com/forum/index.php . You can see a current breakdown of the registered cars, by color and interior, in the Library as well as other links for reading on the 1999 VR-4.

In the coming weeks we will be finalizing our Cars for Sale page, putting the finishing touches on the interactive Members Gallery, detailing the contents of our Official Members Packet and taking your questions and registering new cars – so please check back for updates :cool:

In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments about the site, looking to buy a 1999 VR-4, seen a 1999 VR-4, know someone that has one but isn’t on 3si…. let’s see how many we can get!

Thanks for looking :D

Jon

[email protected] | [email protected]

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
looking to buy a mint 1997-1999 VR4 - do you know anyone who's selling (can't be RED)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goldark said:
looking to buy a mint 1997-1999 VR4 - do you know anyone who's selling (can't be RED)
Of course!

I can think of a white and 2 black ones. Email me any preferences, location, what u are looking to spend, etc. - I'd be happy to help. That's why the site is there :D

Jon

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jon, any idea if this is a real '99?
it looks like a european model (based on the plate) it could be a european '99 with an American '99 conversion. are you only counting the ones sold in the US?

P.S. (i got the picture from dynamic racing)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Green 3KGT said:
it looks like a european model (based on the plate) it could be a european '99 with an American '99 conversion. are you only counting the ones sold in the US?

That is a not a real 99, If you look at the sail panels you will notice they are not all one shade.

·
Registered
606 Posts
those "special edition" ones are BEAUTIFUL i go crazy everytime i see one....you know, once every 2 years if i'm lucky kinda sad the 3000GT VR4 gets underlooked

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Green 3KGT said:
correct. but it could very well be a european '99 model. those looked like 94-96 models.
Looking closely at the other pictures of the car on DR - if you look at the interior shots the A/C controls are the earlier model (94-98) I believe. I have seen pictures of Euro 1999s and they have the newer A/C controls like the US 1999s. I would bet that the car you posted is not a Euro 99, but an older model converted to look like the US 99. Still a great looking car though (except interior IMO but to each his own)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green 3KGT said:
Jon, ... are you only counting the ones sold in the US?
For now yes. Because we know definitely how many were built and brought here.

Future project issue: The other only country to have the 1999 VR-4, as we know it, was Japan. They my have had an extra color or two available, and there were definitely 2 different models of the VR-4. The VR-4 and the MR (both TT, AWD, etc.). So.... if anyone speaks Japanese, thats my next task ;)

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
Wasn't the American '99 style offered earlier in Japan? Pardon my source, but GT4's '98 model is like our '99?

I would be curious to know how many USDM '99s there were too. I remember hearing about a dealer in Indiana I think that still had a brand new '99 VR-4 with like 50 miles on it. And this was in 2001 or so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GPTourer said:
Wasn't the American '99 style offered earlier in Japan? Pardon my source, but GT4's '98 model is like our '99?

I would be curious to know how many USDM '99s there were too. I remember hearing about a dealer in Indiana I think that still had a brand new '99 VR-4 with like 50 miles on it. And this was in 2001 or so.
USDM 99's (VR-4s) = 287

Nothing wrong with your source. The makers of GT4 have always in my opinion paid close attention to detail, so I have no reason to assume info taken from the game is flawed.

My assumption about the 99 as we know it appearing as a 98 in GT4 is that maybe the car did come out initially in late 1998, since they were first being built in August 1998 - so call it a 1998 :dunno:

There have been several 99s posted with ridiculously low miles, left overs, never titled etc. - it happens (part of the reason I think why they stopped making them).

Jon

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
how many vr4 spyder's were produced? i know those were REALLY rare. did they make any 99 vr4 spyders? i did a search and nothing came up

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fairlady said:
how many vr4 spyder's were produced? i know those were REALLY rare. did they make any 99 vr4 spyders? i did a search and nothing came up
http://www.3000gtspyder.com/

I think 1600 or so total cars over 2 or 3 model years 94 - 96. 877 VR-4 spyders.

So people put the 99 VR4 front end on their spyder, but there was no 1999 spyder.

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
Green 3KGT said:

Sail panels are not '99, and '99s had electric sunroof, not the big moonroof. That is most likely '94-'96. Good idea for the '99 registry. I want one. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mazx6 said:
I wish i could join but i'm the more rare 98....lol. I still like the 99 look as you can tell.
LOL

Yeah I don't know what to do with you!? :dunno:

I might expand the site to include 98s and Spyders at some point...

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Those cars are so hot.

When saw my first EXTREME tuned on in Super Street, the Pit Road M gold VR4, I instantly fell in love.

Pretty sad that mitsu stopped producing them.....but if there is no cash coming from them.....what else can you do?

-Jonathan

·
Registered
20 Posts
A 99+ VR-4 with a nice set of BBS or Volks is, In my opinion, one of the best looking cars on the road.

Not the best side profile, but by far one of the sexiest front fascias/lamps in the Japanese car world.

Props boys! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Syncade said:
A 99+ VR-4 with a nice set of BBS or Volks is, In my opinion, one of the best looking cars on the road.

Not the best side profile, but by far one of the sexiest front fascias/lamps in the Japanese car world.

Props boys! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts