Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short.

i sold my supra to Fred for 27000 dollars.
the car had a 3rd gear issue along with a slipping clutch under boost which he was aware of. First the agreed upon thing was a 2000 dollar deposit and i was going to use that money to send the car to boostlogic and get a new flywheel put in the car and get the tranny rebuilt. he was buying the car for 27k pluss the tranny fix and flywheel.

I then was invlolved in a hit and run by a drunk driver about 2 weeks after deposit was sent.

I asked fred if he would take the car as is, and i would take 500 off the price of the car for his troubles. selling the car for 26,500 dollars now. since he sent me a 2k dollar deposit he would only ow 24,500. I also installed a radio in the car for 480 which he was willing to pay 325 for. I told fred in a pm he could use the 500 off to ship the car to his house.

I was able to drive the car in its current state for a while. as long as i didnt get on it the clutch wouldnt slip. Fred wanted to drive the car back. I told him that he could and SHouldnt have any problems unless he got on it.

Fred flew in and picked up the car. gave me a check for 22k and a personal check for 2500 along with another personal check for 325 for the stereo. 22k was from his financing from his bank. and said the 2500 was out his pocket. along with the 325

Fred liked the car. i cashed the checks with him at my bank. then signed the tittle over to him, also I wrote out a buyers order that I had him sign saying the car was sold AS IS!

Fred told me he hadnt drove a 6 speed car in a long time, and was nervous to even drive the car when we were together., saying he would probally stall it. he drove the car maybe 3 miles out of the 50 we put on the car together.

Fred left and called me 2 hours later saying that the clutch went out. and i needed to come pick him up and figure this out.

I told fred i was going to the doctors for my back from my accsident. but i went home and found out where he was, called him a tow truck that I PAID FOR. to get him to a uhaul to trailor the car back. "what he should have done in the first place"

Fred was very upset the cars clutch went out. I paid 110 dollars for the tow truck to the uhaul and appoligized.

Well 3 days later come to find out that Fred thought it was ok to cancel the two personal checks to me, 2825 dollars worth.

He pms me telling me he thought i screwed him and would send me money later when he found out what the clutch would cost and what else was wrong with the car.

IM SORRY but did you just buy the car as is? with knowlage of a slipping clutch and 3rd gear gringing syncro?

now fred says he will split the cost of 1000 dollars in uhaul with me and send me 2400 dollars out of the 2825 he had already paid me.

Im sorry for his missfortunane. but am i wrong or not that there is no warranty on a used single turbo 6 speed supra with a KNOWN problem of slipping clutch and bad tranny?

Fred admited to it being wrong canceling the checks behind my back.

He wants to take 400 dollars off the car AGAIN because the clutch went out.

Now i think fred seems like a honest guy, but how am i sopposed to know that he didnt beat the car up when he left my house and burnt up the clutch?

I have tried to be as understanding with him as possible. Paid the tow truck ect.

I know its my fault for trusting someone giving me personal checks. THAT WAS STUPID on my part.

I dont want to have to get my lawyers invloved for the pain in the ass it is. but why should i loose 400 dollars ? this is not a dealership . there is no warranty. I tried to give him a break on the price to ship the car. he wanted to chance it. thats what happends saddly.

What do you all think?

·
Hurter of feelings
303 Posts
He is an idiot that doesn't know how to drive a stick. So gay to cancel check(s).
If you cashed checks, how did he cancel them? Cashing checks means your bank calls up, verifies fund availability and immediately cashes them out to you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is an idiot that doesn't know how to drive a stick. So gay to cancel check(s).
If you cashed checks, how did he cancel them? Cashing checks means your bank calls up, verifies fund availability and immediately cashes them out to you.
well apperntly a personal check takes a couple days to clear. People can stop payment on them.

I dont believe he is an idiot. He probally dosnt have the experiance to drive a 6 speed with a 6 puck racing clutch and lightned flywheel. I had drove it hundreds of miles like it was. but i didnt ride the clutch or anything. Maybe when he left from stops he road the clutch to hard and slipped it. Sure it was an accsident on his part.

he offered me 2400 out of the 2800 back. i told him give me 2650 including paypal fees and ill forget it. he is adimit to make me loose more money.

He had the knowlage that the car HAD to have the tranny takin out and rebuilt Immidiatly. The clutch and flywheel are right there. I gave him a lightned flywheel with like 800 miles on it. 500 dollar flywheel at that.

Iv tried to be as fair as i can with him. but hes taking it to far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont want to take this to court if i dont have to. hes offering me 2400 out of 2800 back. i told him 2600 is fair, but he is not willing to help me out.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
i dont want to take this to court if i dont have to. hes offering me 2400 out of 2800 back. i told him 2600 is fair, but he is not willing to help me out.
He has to know that you have him by the balls here by having him sign a bill of sale that states "Sold As Is" on it. He's just thinking that you'll take the $400 off based on it being a hassle for you and it could be more expensive for you to get an attorney involved. I'd just remind him of the bill of sale, maybe talk to an attorney and see if he's actually committed some sort of fraud by what he's done. If it's more than him just being a shady prick by canceling checks like that, than it may make him think twice. I'm not legal counsel, but what he did does sound like it would fall under some sort of fraud. Honestly, when you're willing to short someone by $400 after paying over $25k, you're doing it just to be a dickhead. Either way, it's going to cost some extra funds for you, maybe more or less than $400, even if it was a little more than $400, I'd still go after him legall just based on principle.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Ok the clutch was slipping, meaning he was gonna need to replace soon. I don't see how he can ask you for any money back that he already gave you. He knew the clutch was on it's way out, and you didn't want him trying to drive the car home in the condition it was in the first place because of it.

What's the big deal? He needs to just get a clutch that he was going to need to get in the first place. It just happened sooner than later. If your story checks out I don't see why you are accepting $200 less in the first place. He knew the clutch was toast, but when it crapped out now he wants some of his money back??? WTF?

Alex

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
Was Fred young?

Things like this seem to happen more often then not with buyers who's finances are stretched already

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Conspiracy to commit fraud, fraudulent purchase, and grand theft auto have occurred. Report the car stolen if you have not already, and make sure he knows you will be perusing legal action both at the civil and criminal level.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
you should NOT take the plunge on $400 PLUS the $100+ tow truck fee ... he was well aware of the cars condition and that's his fault for trying to drive it homw

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i told him the flywheel was slipping under boost. i was under the impression that it was probally the flywheel since it was stock, and the clutch was a 6 puck. I did tell him i thought it shoud make it home ok since i have been driving it for a long time like that but i would sujest shipping it. Either way as is means AS IS

Fred was older id say 40s

He sent me a paypal of 2450 plus another payment bringing it to 2625 before paypal fees. I accepted the payments just so i know i get something back. but to be fair i believe he ows me the whole payment back of 2825.

Im going to let him know about this thread. hopefully he will be nice enough to send me the rest of the money he took from me. im short 200 pluss whatever paypal takes out right now. and the 110 towing fee. so 310 pluss paypAL. not really fair in my opinion.

I just bought a supercharged m3 and drove it home 1200 miles. there are things on the car the seller didnt even tell me about like broken panels i noticed, and a battery problem the car needs a new battery because it dies over time sitting. but you dont see me canceling checks or bitching since i sighned a bill of sale saying AS IS!

Hopefully fred will do the right thing. and i wish him luck with the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts