Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wanted some more info on the 1G-GTE motor...how easy is it to swap in, and what are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks! :)

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
Slow......that is what your car will be with that motor. There isn't much of a following for that engine so aftermarket parts will be much harder to come by.....IMHO the is no advantage to the 1G-GTE

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it wouldn't be left stock...it's only 20hp less than stock 7m...I'm only concerned about how hard it would be to find parts.

·
Workin' Man
445 Posts
sxymk3 said:
Well, it wouldn't be left stock...it's only 20hp less than stock 7m...I'm only concerned about how hard it would be to find parts.
Any parts you're lucky enough to find will have to come across the pond so they'll be mad expensive. Also, 2litres=no torque+heavy-ass supra=slow

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
ya whats the point...i mean that engine is a twin turbo piece of junk, it has no power and no torque plus is impossible to find parts for it in North America.....our cars need at least a 2.5L=1jz or a 3L engine like 7m series

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
I was considering this swap too, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it. The potential is there, but it'll cost you. You can go single and make some decent power but finding parts can be hard, and it's always expensive. For the money you're better off with the 7M. For originality, and if u have deep pockets, go 1G.

Edit: I won't say that it's a piece of junk like these other clowns because it isn't. Anyone who does their homework on this engine knows what it's capable of. Most of these fools just talk out of their asses thinking the 7M is the end all of motors.

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Workin' Man
445 Posts
Jaguar said:
Edit: I won't say that it's a piece of junk like these other clowns because it isn't. Anyone who does their homework on this engine knows what it's capable of. Most of these fools just talk out of their asses thinking the 7M is the end all of motors.

Did I say it was a piece of junk? In this case, the 7M is a better choice because the supra is a heavy car and needs the torque of the 3 litre. The 1g-gte came in the narrower, lighter ga70 chassis

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
it would make a nice swap in a mk2 supra!! i would love to see one here in the states in a mk2 or possibly a mk3 if someone just wants to have one to say they have one!

·
Powdered Toast Man
370 Posts
I just read a japanese site that said that the 1986.2 ga70 supra weighed about 1370 kgs, or about 3000 lbs. If this is true, then the narrow bodies weigh about 500 pounds less, a considerable difference in weight.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
heh... it would be fun and different... maybe when I get a project car ill put one in it... like a 510... or something sweet.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
Damn all the 1g haters. I should do it just to piss you guys off. It's not like it's hard to make power. It's got 30 bhp less than the 7M, and mods just the same. Intake, Exhaust, Fuel, Boost Controller. It's all the same. Except the 1G is more reliable and has a stock MHG like the 1j. It's like an NA with more torque, more potential and better reliability.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts