Supra Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
2JZ is an excellent drag motor, but for normal in the twisties street driving the 1JZ has the 2J's number. As for the 7M-GE, well we are few 86SUPRA, but there are those out there that love the sound of the GE'S NA roar.....purrrr.

·
Registered
75 Posts
And it should be every mk3 owners goal to friggin' get their car fast enough to roast the mk4's...I have met some REALLY ignorant and fucking rude 4th gen owners. No respect for the heritage of the supra. All in it for the FNF craze.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
86SUPRA7mgte said:
and then ofcourse you bash my 7mge!!!:)
yes i am hahahaha....kidding bro, i love the sound they produce...we got one here in town. 86.5 N/A that is cleaner than off the showroom floor...low mileage and just an awesome looking car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wow some guys really seem to hate the 1g-gte engine. I currently have a mk3 Supra with the 1g-gte engine and I was lucky enough to get it after a lot mods. The previous owner did his research and put Blitz bag ct12 turbos on it (about twice the size of the originals), induction kit, a mines ecu, apexi afc boost controller, a huge intercooler (I don't know which make), larger fuel injectors and a balanced IS200 crank. The car is running at around 15psi of boost and the previous owner claims it has 300 to 350HP at the rear wheels. But I haven't had it put on a dyno yet as I need to replace the valve stem seals. But whilst my mechanic has the engine out I'm going to get any performance parts that I can find and afford put in. The reason why is because I like the car and it is probably one of the last 1g-gte engined Supras left in the UK. I was thinking of putting a 1jz-gte in it, but finding a decent 1jz engine and changing the wiring etc will bring a whole lot of hassle. Plus I would need to tune that engine as well to get the same as my 1g currently has.

I bought the car after a test drive where a 2004 BMW M3 tried to race me. I was thrown back in my seat with a huge grin on my face and the M3 almost out of sight.

When people say that there are no advantages to having a 1g-gte over a 7m-gte they are mostly right, but the 1g is a lighter engine. So the weight distribution is better. I can't comment on how much of a difference it makes as I have never got the chance to drive a 7M-GTE, but I have had my car cornering at 140mph (motorway corners, not hairpins!) and it is quite nimble for a big car. It has never understeered on me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They also had the 1G-GE, which is :barf:
A friend of mine has a GA70 with a factory fitted 1G-E - Single overhead cam goodness! mated to an automatic trans it is the epitome of "i have $8, build me a new supra" back then haha

it also doesnt move terribly well under its own power

·
(◕_◕)
3,756 Posts
The 1G engine is simply too small here in America for other cars. It does have potential, but it is very limited due to the low aftermarket support here in America. The highest output of a 1G-GTE I have seen was 674HP, 601TQ. Single GT3076R Garrett, everything else was custom.

·
7M Fanatic
3,081 Posts
There are still some HKS stroker cranks floating around Japan for it, unfortunately, no matching connectiong rods.
But $$ can buy any custom rod set you would like, even pistons.
Not much else pops up anymore for them, no cams, big single turbo manifolds, custom intakes, etc..
Also, even recouping invested money from 7M performance parts is getting tough lately, ever getting any of your investment back on 1G parts will be nearly impossible.
Maybe like a year ago, someone posted a garage full of goodies for a 1G here, for next to nothing.
If you could find that thread, I doubt he ever sold the stuff.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts