Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i have seen similar issues and I would love to use the search but I guess its down. Well here is my issue

I did the 1J swap in my 92 sc300 about a month ago. Swap went smooth and I was able to start the car and let it idle. I did not drive the car so I assumed everything went perfect

This week I was able to get home and finish it all up. I went to drive it yesterday and the car is making No power. Feels like about 50 hp at max. The car starts right up, idles smotth, revs nice, but when i drive it Nothing. The boost gauge reads nice vacume and when I rev it sitting still it jumps up to zero like it should. Then when I drive it the boost will jump up to zero and as i floor it, it will actually slowly dip back into vacume like a NA car does with a boost gauge.

BAD TURBOS (locked up)???

Also when I did the swap i didn the timing belt. tensioner, waterpump etc etc. Could this be a timing issue??

The car is so slow even if the turbos werent moving I would think it would have more power than it has now.

What do you guys think I should look at? What steps should i be taking next?

Thanks a lot
BLAIR

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even if it were a massive boost leak i would think i would still read boost on the gauge and also hear the turbos at least some.

The car is so slow i wouldnt even attempt to drive it on the street if that gives you all any idea of how slow it is.

·
Registered
671 Posts
look for pieces of turbine blades in your exhaust ;)

·
2JZ NA-T MKIII
666 Posts
Sounds just like boost leak/bad turbos to me.. If the timing were off it probably would have a hard time idling/revving.

Maybe a video would help us?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
you have no turbos.. Pull off the intake and check..

you will at least make boost even if you had the cam timing mad off..

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
That sounds like exactly what my car did when I swapped the cams. I didn't pay attention to which side of the belt had tension on it before I put the belt tensioner in and when the tensioner tightened, it pulled the timing out of wack. Both gears were equally off. Once I readjusted the timing the car made power.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
A 1j with no power? I thought that was normal?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE-

I took off the intercooler pipe to the intake manifold to make sure the throttle was opening fully. I decided to drive it with that same intercooler pipe totally disconnected. the car felt much quicker... instead of the 50 hp it may have been more like 150 hp now. I would take it that its fair to assume my turbos werent working at all.. correct???

Thanks guys for all your help

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
UPDATE-

I took off the intercooler pipe to the intake manifold to make sure the throttle was opening fully. I decided to drive it with that same intercooler pipe totally disconnected. the car felt much quicker... instead of the 50 hp it may have been more like 150 hp now. I would take it that its fair to assume my turbos werent working at all.. correct???

Thanks guys for all your help
yes.. pull off the front pipes for the turbo and check it..

·
tunin' da beast
479 Posts
Maybe a forgotten cloth somewhere in the intake route?
I always stick a cloth in all pipe openings when working on the car, keeps dirt out and little annoying bolts from dropping in.
A friend of mine had ported the head once and had actually forgotten to take out a few cloths in the intake ports, car ran shitty, but it ran :-$

That would be my next thing to check if the turbo's spin OK.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Damn, a cloth getting sucked into the turbos would be pwnage!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok.. well today i took apart eveything to look at the turbo ( front one because back one is too hard to get to) and the turbo spins freely with minimal shaft play. I start the car and the turbo spins..rev it up it spins faster and blow air. I put my hand to the piping for the back turbo and it does the same.. sucks and blows air just how it should. also all the turbo piping is clean and nothing is blocking it.

IM SO DAMN LOST..

oh yea.. all kinds of nice turbo sounds then it was all off.. never hear any turbo noise at all with it all together

IM SO DAMN LOST.. help me people

·
tunin' da beast
479 Posts
Do a leakdown test of your complete intake; block off the intake firmly, set the throttle open and get hold of an air compressor, then pressurize the system via one of the vacuum lines and go search for a leak somewhere.

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
ok so you said the turbo's are pushing air correct?

and with the cold pipe off leading to the TB you said it felt like it had more power...

every think of the possibility that something might be clogging your intercooler?

i mean air flow on one side but then you gain more power with the after IC pipe off sounds like a problem in the IC to me

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PROBLEM FIXED.. car is awesome

wasted about 2 weeks checking everything in the world when it was something so stupid. The boost gauge somehow ended up being tapped into the throttle and the charcoal canister. dont know why this cause the problem but as soon as i hooked it up correct its now all good. drove it for about 2 hours today. working on that 500 mile clutch break in so i can really beat on it. it feels great though

thanks everyone for you help.. glad it was something stupid and small:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts