Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the engine is in and starts and runs. There is no issue with that. The problem I'm having is...
1. my tach is not working
2. my temp guage is not working
3. the battery seems to be draining when it sits overnight.
Mind you this engine was swapped into a 89 turbo supra. Any helpful idea's would be greatly appreciated.

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
tach, did you use the tach off the clip or the ma70 tach
temp guage, starts to sound like u fucked up the wiring
battery, simply your alternator, or more complexly, your faulty wiring could be keeping a switch open all the time, draining the battery 24/7

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
suprasmakemesmile said:
tach, did you use the tach off the clip or the ma70 tach
temp guage, starts to sound like u fucked up the wiring
battery, simply your alternator, or more complexly, your faulty wiring could be keeping a switch open all the time, draining the battery 24/7
I didnt have a clip, we used a engine set.

I followed the wiring diagram on the http://www.1jz-gte.us/ page. I did, however, have a few issues with the wiring as my supra falls in the in between year. I have a late 89, and the wiring is different from the 87-88 & 90-92. I'm not sure what to do.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Sounds like wiring issue. MA70 tach works just fine, no need for the JZA70 one. So thats not why the tach isnt working.

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
this is somewhat simple.
look at the ignitor. youll see a big black plug and a 4 wire small plug that plugs in to it. look at the small plug there is one wire that is all black. do a continuity check from that wire to the grey 1jz dash plug. the you look at your stock 7m small 8-10 pin plug and find the black wire that your guage cluster tach wire. to them together.
ok look at the upper water neck on the 1jz you see two sensors for the water temp, one is a single wire yellow green. do another continuity check to see where it is in your 1jz dash harness (should be the same plug). then you get the same 8-10 wire 7m dash plug and find the yellow green wire. thats your guage cluster water temp. connect those two together.
as for your parasidict load. you hook up a power wire in the wrong spot. probaly in the alt wireing you did. thats a little hard to explain.

410 Posts
your wires are screwed up if you didnt extend the harness you might not have so many problems i have non of them and i used the guide on the same webpage the guide only had 1 wire off! and didnt explain that if you have a 7m auto before then you have to also splice your blu/blk wire in with your white/black wire because it used to have a Nuetral Start Saftey Switch that disables the fuel system the blue black side from power.
Like a lot of people with tach issues, I dont know the tach works off of noise "-" pulses read from the ignitor modual if you remove shielding and dont splice the new wires with enviromental mil spec wires and dont do the shielded wires with shield jumper splices then you may have a lot of issues in the tach department. To avoid any possible problems i did not extend the harness.

bye the way the wire that was off is on the pre 89's the the red/yellow wire on the MA71 [B1] connector HL relay wire was in pin 19 instead of 22 on the body side.

the battery problem sounds like your alternator is not hooked up right it haves signals that disable your alternator from discharging your battery if you used the jza70 fuse block and the EA2 connector you wouldnt have miss wired the fuse block wires & alternator because its all still the same as what was in the JZA-70

to isolate what is discharging your battery with your car off using an ampmeter put in series with the "+" battery terminal and cable. Set the alarm or dont set the anti theft system read how many amps it draws if its like 5 + amps with the alarm set in diffrence it will kill your battery, if your anti theft doesnt draw a lot of juice then start at the main fuse block pull 1 fuse at a time and when it drops from 20 amps --> to 1 amp you isolated to what circuit it is like EFI system disconect your alternator if you see your amp meter drop your alternator is hooked up wrong start pulling individual fuses in the floor board if it was non of the above like if you pull your window defroster fuse or your cigar ligher fuse then you know if it drops your amperage reading, if you dont have an amp meter using a high wattage 12 volt light bulb in series with the "+" will work also the light should be DIM if its BRIGHT your loading in with a completed circuit remove individual circuits until your battery amperage drain drops enough to dim a test light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts