Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
7M = based on a 1960s block, prone to HG failure, long stroke (bad for rpms), inferior engine management (old technology), poorly designed intake plumbing and exhaust manifold, prone to overheating #6 cylinder, an abortion of accessory belts which are poorly routed, stock head doesn't flow great w/o major work, horrible oiling system

1J = higher redline (7100), cleaner design, not prone to any of the failures listed above for the 7M, stock turbos prone to failure, hard to find SOME EFI parts, stock components can make 600+ HP and rev to over 8100 rpms, has that "J" series sound, the next logical step in Toyota evolution.

later

G

·
Hey Pete howard...

Would you be able to clarify for me the differences between the 1j and the 2j, all I know is that the 2j's came in the mk4's and the 1j's came in the mk3's? Help me out please... :sadwavey:

G

·
1jz pistons vs 2jz pistons

Hay man, bad news, the 2jz pistons are NOT the same as the 1jz pistons. The skirt is longer on the 2jz pistons. The rings are diferent thicknesses. The pins are the same diameter. As well as the top of the 2jz piston has a bowl. The 1jz pistons are flat, w/ 4 indents for the valves. If you were to put the 2jz pistons in ure 1jz motor, it would lower the compression ratio significantly.
As well as they could fuk ure car up REAL BAD, for the reason that the entire piston out of the 2jz is taller than the piston out the 1jz. I had both in my hand today, and compared them in a shop w/ a machinist. That's how i know.

let me know if u have questions. peace brothers.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
bump! why did the sticky get removed, this is good info, please resticky... thanks

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
I didn't think this was worth making a thread for. Will the 2JZ AC compressor work in a MKIII if doing a 2JZ swap? If not could the 1JZ compressor be substituted on the 2JZ? Would this be as straight forward as the A/C write-up in this thread?

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
NM arnouts site had the answer

G

·
scdreamer said:
Hay man, bad news, the 2jz pistons are NOT the same as the 1jz pistons. The skirt is longer on the 2jz pistons. The rings are diferent thicknesses. The pins are the same diameter. As well as the top of the 2jz piston has a bowl. The 1jz pistons are flat, w/ 4 indents for the valves. If you were to put the 2jz pistons in ure 1jz motor, it would lower the compression ratio significantly.
As well as they could fuk ure car up REAL BAD, for the reason that the entire piston out of the 2jz is taller than the piston out the 1jz. I had both in my hand today, and compared them in a shop w/ a machinist. That's how i know.

let me know if u have questions. peace brothers.
Brain fart, sorry! So your telling me that 2jz pistons in a 1jz are a no go? Other than the lower comp ratio, what else would the pistons screw? Do they not have the 4 indents for the valves or something?

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
ok i have some thing to add as well. if your doing a 1.5jz convertion, youll need these items from a 2jz motor. first youll need to use all 2jz water pump housing, uper water neck, and mid pipe.
youll need the 2jz timing belt tentioner (the one that spins, not teh hydo auto tentioner). its set up different. bolts in the swame spot, the rotaing bearing is the same size, but the whole braket sits different. if you dont use it the timing belt will be super loose.

also the 2jz dipstick, so it sits in the right spot.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
^ I have a few 2JZGE's laying around.. i have most of that stuff just collecting dust

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Can someone make a Step by Step for us DoItOurSelfs noobies out there. I want to do the 1j swap and have been on this section of the board for hours and really cant find anything that i feel comfortable with, meaning if i was to do the swap right now or tommorow, nothing ive read so far would prepare me for it. I know some of you guys have been doing these swaps with your eyes closed. Care to share the knowledge. I would just like ONE thread. W/ step by step instructions on how to from the point where you take your 7m out to the point where you turn the key and hear those turbines whine and whistle.

If there is such a thread i appologize for my lack of search skills and ask that you kindly point me in the right direction.

·
mount /dev/disk1s10 FFUU
903 Posts
Alright,
Im buying a 1JZ Front Clip. I have a 91 Turbo Auto shell. If i have read right theoretically i can take the 1JZ engine harness put it through the drivers firewall and hookup the ECU there and extend the few body wires inside.

Can someone clarify what needs to be done with the fuse block? Is it a simple take the fuse block from the 1jz clip and plug/play it into the ma70 chassis? What about the power steering lines, i read something about that. Is this a necessary step in order to get power steering?

·
Registered
9 Posts
awsome resources thanks.... i have my 88 supra non turbed, might not do the swap on her tho, i also have an 89 supra turbed shell,.,., would there be any specific things i would need for the swap but in a more understanding way... would be better to fo the swap on the 88 supra or the 89???

21 - 40 of 57 Posts